The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by antonysummers
Hi, just a quick question on halls. Trying to decide between kelvinhaugh gate and
Queen Margaret residences. Think these are the only 2 with en-suite and car parking. Would you happen to know which is best? Thanks so much 😀

Hi,
So I live at Winton Drive which is near the Queen Margaret residences and have friends in both QM and in Kelvinhaugh. I personally would recommend QM as it is slightly nicer especially if you get one of the refurb flats. Kelvinhaugh is quieter and on the opposite side of the campus to Murano making it harder to get to, if you're going to meet friends coz most people live in murano. On the other hand kelvinhaugh would be considered to be in a slightly nicer area with easier access to good restaurants and other amenities so it depends on what you are prioritising and looking for. Both are decent in their own ways but if you want a place with more people and more things going on then QM might be the one
Original post by hillarious_cow
Hi,
So I live at Winton Drive which is near the Queen Margaret residences and have friends in both QM and in Kelvinhaugh. I personally would recommend QM as it is slightly nicer especially if you get one of the refurb flats. Kelvinhaugh is quieter and on the opposite side of the campus to Murano making it harder to get to, if you're going to meet friends coz most people live in murano. On the other hand kelvinhaugh would be considered to be in a slightly nicer area with easier access to good restaurants and other amenities so it depends on what you are prioritising and looking for. Both are decent in their own ways but if you want a place with more people and more things going on then QM might be the one

Is there still a lot of parties at queen Margaret, I heard it was quite quiet
Original post by Rosie2908
Is there still a lot of parties at queen Margaret, I heard it was quite quiet

It depends on your perspective, it's quiet compared to murano but there's always a party for you to go to
Original post by hillarious_cow
Hey guys,

I am a first year medical student at Glasgow Uni and was wondering if you guys have any questions for me about the course before you guys make any decisions. If so drop them down below and I will try and help out.

Hello ! I have several questions :smile:
- How much clinical skills have you learned in first year ? Also I saw you mentioned all lectures were online but did you have any labs or clinical skills tutorial face to face ?
- How did you feel living in Glasgow ? I am from a smaller city in Scotland and am worried about moving to a big city and feeling overwhelmed
-Do you enjoy the student life there ?

Thank you ! (I am still trying to decide so am pretty curious)
Original post by Fr31770Ma
Hello ! I have several questions :smile:
- How much clinical skills have you learned in first year ? Also I saw you mentioned all lectures were online but did you have any labs or clinical skills tutorial face to face ?
- How did you feel living in Glasgow ? I am from a smaller city in Scotland and am worried about moving to a big city and feeling overwhelmed
-Do you enjoy the student life there ?

Thank you ! (I am still trying to decide so am pretty curious)

Hi,

Hope you are keeping safe :smile:

I will answer your questions systematically:-

1) So we have had no in person teaching this year, but the medical school are trying to ensure that small group teaching (labs, clinical skills, dissections etc.) will go ahead next year. Despite this the university has tried to teach clinical skills online and obviously although it is harder, it is only first year so you have time to catch up and practice on flatmates.

2) I come from London so this was a downgraded in terms of city size. However, that being said it is unlikely you will really be getting the huge city experience anyway since most of your time will be spent in the west end which is a nice place to live with amazing amenities (restaurants, pubs etc. when they can open) so you'll be able to do everything in a small area. Glasgow is a great city to live in and overall it has been a good place so far

3) Student life is what you make it tbh, so for example, our year group had medical zoom calls before we arrived at University, basically every weekend from about April till September, and a lot of my good friends now I met through there which made it much easier once I arrived, because I already had a solid group of people that I knew, and that will probably be important if the pandemic persists.

Overall, I think your experience will be what you make it and I recommend being proactive, but also I wouldn't worry about Glasgow being overwhelming, it is a very friendly place and the community in the west end is great.
(edited 3 years ago)
As usual:

Reminder of TSR rules:

Off site social media group chats are not allowed anywhere on TSR, including via PMs.

This is for your protection as we don't know who makes them, and who joins them. Some of you are under 18.

Please do not ask, mention or advertise them in the forum; or attempt to take discussion off our forum.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Hey! So I got and offer from Glasgow under the Overseas fee status and was wondering if any other internationals knew if the fees are £49 950 for all 5 years? Usually the fees are diferent for the clinical and non clinical parts but in my offer letter it seemed like they were the same?
Original post by riyaamaria
Hey! So I got and offer from Glasgow under the Overseas fee status and was wondering if any other internationals knew if the fees are £49 950 for all 5 years? Usually the fees are diferent for the clinical and non clinical parts but in my offer letter it seemed like they were the same?

Some med schools e.g. Buckingham (and obviously, Glasgow!) will charge the same fee for the entire course for international students.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Ah, thank you!
Does anyone know if the medicine offer holders event that was yesterday was recorded? I didn’t manage to make it since I was busy
I’m really thinking of firming Glasgow (gotten offers from Dundee and St. Andrews aswell.) I am a Scottish school leaver who lives in Glasgow. Anyone similar to me who wants to be my friend?? Lmao
Reply 51
Original post by Trigonometric123
I’m really thinking of firming Glasgow (gotten offers from Dundee and St. Andrews aswell.) I am a Scottish school leaver who lives in Glasgow. Anyone similar to me who wants to be my friend?? Lmao

hey im still waiting on edinburgh but expecting rejection so will most likely be firming glasgow! school leaver and live in glasgow too!
Original post by notboredyet
Does anyone know if the medicine offer holders event that was yesterday was recorded? I didn’t manage to make it since I was busy

I am wondering this as well as I was working and not able to watch, there is one in may if it wasn’t recorded so I’ve signed up to that

Original post by clayt0n
hey im still waiting on edinburgh but expecting rejection so will most likely be firming glasgow! school leaver and live in glasgow too!

Hello! I am a Scottish school leaver living in Glasgow as well, and potentially Glasgow will be my firm. If you decide to firm, would you plan to live in halls or at home? I think I would live at home, but I am worried about making friends.
Original post by Tiel2003
Hello! I am a Scottish school leaver living in Glasgow as well, and potentially Glasgow will be my firm. If you decide to firm, would you plan to live in halls or at home? I think I would live at home, but I am worried about making friends.

hey,
I live in Glasgow too, and will be staying at home (already firmed) mainly because I'll end up saving at a lot of money from accommodation at the end of it haha. from the offer holder days, it looks like lectures will be recorded but the small group teaching, pbl and vs etc., will be in person so don't think it will be as difficult as last year in getting to know people :smile:.
Original post by Omair1201
hey,
I live in Glasgow too, and will be staying at home (already firmed) mainly because I'll end up saving at a lot of money from accommodation at the end of it haha. from the offer holder days, it looks like lectures will be recorded but the small group teaching, pbl and vs etc., will be in person so don't think it will be as difficult as last year in getting to know people :smile:.

Hey! Thanks for replying. Yeah that's reassuring. Yeah there are massive benefits to staying at home, but there are some drawbacks, however like you said this year will hopefully be better than last! Maybe see you there!
Original post by Tiel2003

Yeh I’m going to live at home as my main goal is to save up on money as possible. I Can’t wait for future interactions if you do decide to firm Glasgow!!! :smile: and yes I feel you on making friends haha.
Original post by Omair1201
hey,

Yes that’s literally what I was thinking as well and I am in a very similar position to you!! Hope to see you in the near future!! :smile:
Yeh I’m going to live at home as my main goal is to save up on money as possible. I Can’t wait for future interactions if you do decide to firm Glasgow!!! :smile: and yes I feel you on making friends haha.

Me too :smile:
Original post by clayt0n

Hi, good luck with Edinburgh (hopefully all good news!) I hope to interact again if you do decide to firm Glasgow :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending