The Student Room Group

Who's had the vaccination?

How did you feel after a few hours? I had it done yesterday, and my God, I feel awful. I have recently awoken from the worst sleep of my life. I was too cold, so I put the heating on, then I was too hot. I feel a heavy, painful and numbing feeling in the affected arm. I am not looking forward to the next one. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RainbowLad_
How did you feel after a few hours? I had it done yesterday, and my God, I feel awful. I have recently awoken from the worst sleep of my life. I was too cold, so I put the heating on, then I was too hot. I feel a heavy, painful and numbing feeling in the affected arm. I am not looking forward to the next one. :frown:

It's better than getting Covid. These feelings are just temporary. I felt empowered and filled with hope when I got mine. My arm felt heavy for a few days but over it now. You will feel better soon, don't worry.
😂 u may croke it
I've not but both my parents had the oxford one this week :smile: they completely expected to get ill from as their friends and my uncle had reacted to it in same way, but they said they both felt compleley fine (except maybe a sore arm which is to be expected I think)
(edited 3 years ago)
I've had two Pfizer. First time I slept very poorly and my arm hurt for like 2 days. Second time, no systemic problems at all arm hurt much less and only for one day.
Reply 5
Both of my parents had the AstraZeneca one last week, and both felt fine at first and then pretty rough for a few days (very flu-like, together with the expected sore arm), but they're fine now - just got to stick it out until it passes :frown: I hope you feel better soon!
Reply 6
My mum had the Astra Zeneca and suffered pretty bad with it and she’s not the type to moan. Her arm was in a lot of pain and she had flu like symptoms for a few days, uncontrollably shivering even though she had over 3 blankets on and the heating was on full ! My uncle and his partner again had the sore arm but both got a really sore/stiff neck, my dad was fine with it though and was in work the next day
Reply 7
Got my second vaccine today! Last one knocked me off my feet a little bit but looking forward to being fully vaccinated.
Had the AZ one last week.

Bit of a headache the day after but that quickly went away. Catching COVID is definitely 10000000000000000000x worse from personal experience.
Mine is tomorrow- I am fully prepared for any side effects as I know what the alternative is having attended an online funeral for my uncle who died of Covid. Bring it on.
Original post by Bexjw
Got my second vaccine today! Last one knocked me off my feet a little bit but looking forward to being fully vaccinated.

knocked off your feet, how? and how long did it last?
Had my first AZ jab this week. Felt achey and a bit grotty the next day. Nothing a couple of paracetamol couldn’t help with. It passed very quickly. I felt much better after 12hrs and practically 100% after 24hrs.
Reply 12
Original post by Krisis
knocked off your feet, how? and how long did it last?

24hrs. Stayed in bed. Chills, aches and pains, flu-like symptoms and didn’t get restful sleep despite trying. Next day I was fine. I stupidly didn’t take any pain relief all day as I felt fine. Have done this time round.
(Original post by Oxford Mum) - It's better than getting Covid.

Really? Yet 80%+ of Covid cases see NO symptoms at all and many other cases only mild symptoms.
If you get Covid this way you then have very strong and long lasting natural immunity which will far outlast vaccine immunity imo which will undoubtedly see you having to go through this entire undesirable vaccination procedure again this Autumn (for booster shots) and again every subsequent year.
What you perhaps mean is that getting vaccinated is better than getting serious Covid illness but then young people are at very little risk of getting such illness.

(Original post by Oxford Mum) - These feelings are just temporary.

For most perhaps yes. For some there could be lasting side effects and there still remains the real possibility that many could be affected by long term side effects which won't become apparent for years as the vaccines have NOT been tested for long term safety. They remain a compete gamble. For the very vulnerable "at risk" categories I appreciate that gamble makes some sense. For young people who are at extremely low risk of getting serious Covid illness let alone dying from it, I can't see the justification. It remains a fact that these vaccines DO NOT have regular vaccine safety authorisation. They only have special Emergency Usage Authorisation because we are in a pandemic and some people need to take that gamble.

(Original post by Oxford Mum) - I felt empowered and filled with hope when I got mine.

I can't see how anyone can feel "empowered" after getting vaccinated. You might still not be fully protected as 1 in 10 people who are vaccinated will not be since the vaccines are only 90% effective. Your response to the vaccine is individual, everyone responds differently, some well, some not well, it depends of the state of your immune system and overall health. The vaccines are not any kind of magic bullet.

Plus, despite being vaccinated you will still be subjected to swab testing in various life situations because vaccination is not a guarantee that you can't carry Covid and spread it to others. You will also still be required to wear masks and to social distance despite having had your jab. So really how are you possibly empowered? In fact you are no different to anyone else. You just have protection against serious Covid illness but that was only ever a risk if you were already in poor health and in the "at risk" categories.

In the end the brutal truth is that vaccination should help you not to get serious Covid illness when the virus inevitably comes your way and that's a great thing for all those people who are vulnerable and "at risk". The down side is that the Pharma industry is undoubtedly going to engineer things so that you are required to accept (and pay for) yearly Covid shots just as they do with Flu shots. Such a situation for me would bring into great doubt the effectiveness of the vaccines (if their immunity effect cant even last one year what's the point?). Natural immunity is believed to be very long lasting and has been proven to last many years in respect of other viruses of the Coronavirus family. It also massively reduces re-infection rates:

Natural Immunity To Covid Reduces Re-infection by 91%
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6978889&highlight=natural+immunity&page=2&p=94679066#post94679066

I personally don't believe in having yearly vaccinations for such things as Flu and independent systematic reviews of Flu vaccines have shown that you need to vaccinate 71 people just to prevent 1 case of Flu which is frankly ridiculous.

https://www.cochrane.org/CD001269/ARI_vaccines-prevent-influenza-healthy-adults

Bottom line remains which is that young people are at incredibly low risk of getting serious Covid illness in the first place.
80%+ of Covid cases see no symptoms at all
A further percentage of cases only see mild symptoms
99%+ of people survive covid
Young people have more chance of dying in a car accident than from Covid

As it stands today the number of "Covid Deaths" (and we all know by now that many of those were not caused by Covid) in the UK is 148,125

There are 67 million people in the UK, so after a year of pandemic only 0.2% of the population have died and many of those were not specifically caused by Covid, they were deaths WITH Covid. The vast majority of those deaths have been in the very elderly and vulnerable demographic with multiple underlying health conditions. Most if not all of that remaining demographic has now been vaccinated.

Clearly it should be obvious that I personally won't be getting vaccinated with vaccines that are not fully tested. Which in turn means I won't be plugged into the inevitable situation of having to have yearly shots and booster shots like a "vaccine junkie". This said I fully support and understand why the elderly, vulnerable and at risk people are getting vaccinated. They are at increased risk and it's the best way forward for them.

For the young and healthy it's an entirely different risk assessment and I understand why so many will not be getting vaccinated. They will be in good company because over 40% of care home workers also won't be getting vaccinated:

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/73a0cfce/files/uploaded/Social%20Care%20and%20the%20Covid-19%20Vaccine%20Rapid%20Survey%20Report%20Dec2020%20FINAL.pdf

and over HALF the entire population of France doesn't want to be vaccinated either.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2021/jan/11/vaccine-scepticism-in-france-reflects-dissatisfaction-with-political-class

There's a great deal of clever propaganda going on at the moment trying to cajole people into taking the vaccines. The reality is that many millions of people will not be getting vaccinated and for very sound reasons imho.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RainbowLad_

:wink: I had my first one a short while ago ( the AZ one) in the Halls of Residence at the University of Hertfordshire which is in the locality for me.
All so well organised: they had set up about four local surgeries all doing the jab together.
No after effects, although I do know colleagues- albeit with some underlying health issues- that have had various adverse short term reactions very much like those mentioned in these posts. I gather this is the vaccine working its way into your system and doing its job.

Rather that than catching the worst of Covid itself any, any, day.

Even the EU has all but admitted playing politics with, and trashing, the AZ vaccine was maybe not such a cute and smart move after all...

And as Keith of Stafford has pointed out in the letters section of today's Metro, if it was not for the UK's investment into the development of the AZ vaccine there would be no jab for the EU to block, except for the relatively smaller number of Pfizer doses given.
He then points out that the first effort by the French firm Sanofi, who incidentally recently moved their state of the art facility in outer East London back to France, did not even get through the testing stage and that the UK has invested millions in developing and making a cheap vaccine, which in spite of its (alleged) shortcomings, is easily transportable at a fraction of the cost of any of the others.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
For the young and healthy it's an entirely different risk assessment and I understand why so many will not be getting vaccinated. They will be in good company because over 40% of care home workers also won't be getting vaccinated:

hopefully it will soon become compulsory for people working with our most vulnerable citizens to be vaccinated. your pseudo scientific abuse of statistics is really sad.
Original post by rosie711
My mum had the Astra Zeneca and suffered pretty bad with it and she’s not the type to moan. Her arm was in a lot of pain and she had flu like symptoms for a few days, uncontrollably shivering even though she had over 3 blankets on and the heating was on full ! My uncle and his partner again had the sore arm but both got a really sore/stiff neck, my dad was fine with it though and was in work the next day

Thats what my dad said his brother experienced too weirdly enough :iiam:
Sore knees too for some reason
Original post by the bear
hopefully it will soon become compulsory for people working with our most vulnerable citizens to be vaccinated. your pseudo scientific abuse of statistics is really sad.

If the vulnerable citizens have been vaccinated and are thus protected, why would it vaccination need to be mandated for those working with them?

And which statistics are you suggesting are being abused? Do you dispute any of the numbers? If so which?
(edited 3 years ago)
If the vulnerable citizens have been vaccinated and are thus protected, why would it vaccination need to be mandated for those working with them?

And which statistics are you suggesting are being abused? Do you dispute any of the numbers? If so which?

Because not all those who are vulnerable can be vaccinated, and even if they have been vaccinated, certain medical conditions make it so the effect isn't as good as it should be, or might not exist at all.

You need a large porportion of the population to be vaccinated for vulnerable people to get the best protection.

all of your pseudo scientific posts are backed by false data... goodness knows what your real agenda is

smh

Quick Reply

Latest