The Student Room Group

Parents protest outside school because of cartoon of Muhammad

Scroll to see replies

The teacher has been named on local social media and had to leave home and go into hiding under police protection.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Napp
I would point out the distinction between actual liberals and the queer American perversion of the term (meaning SJW leftist lunatic) two very different things

Whilst there is a difference I don't think it's actually as big as you make out. They're two sides of the same coin albeit the left side is much more ugly than the right.

The only "Liberals" who as far as I'm aware have a coherent policy on this is geert Wilders and to a lesser extend Farage both of whom are considered apostates by both sjw/ and most "actual" liberals. That is, if you want a laissez-faire society and neoCon foreign policy it would probably be a good idea NOT to bring in tens of thousands of people that are very much against that.

(For the record I don't like or support Wilders)
Original post by caravaggio2
The teacher has been named on local social media and had to leave home and go into hiding under police protection.

Yes, how awful for him and his young family of four children. Fancy having to put under police protection just for offending a few parents - the worst a teacher would normally expect would be a stern email from the Head. Thank Goodness the suspended teacher has been supported by the Department of Education, even if his own headteacher has fed him to the wolves to protect his own back (or head).
Reply 23
Original post by Starship Trooper
Whilst there is a difference I don't think it's actually as big as you make out. They're two sides of the same coin albeit the left side is much more ugly than the right.

The only "Liberals" who as far as I'm aware have a coherent policy on this is geert Wilders and to a lesser extend Farage both of whom are considered apostates by both sjw/ and most "actual" liberals. That is, if you want a laissez-faire society and neoCon foreign policy it would probably be a good idea NOT to bring in tens of thousands of people that are very much against that.

(For the record I don't like or support Wilders)

In what way are either of the far/hard right wannabe autocrats liberal exactly? After all, ones opinion on markets is but one facet of liberalism.
Original post by Napp
In what way are either of the far/hard right wannabe autocrats liberal exactly? After all, ones opinion on markets is but one facet of liberalism.

How is geert Wilders a 'far right autocrat'???

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Wilders
Original post by caravaggio2

Very concerning indeed, but I am glad to see DfE stepping in where the school did not.
Original post by harrysbar
Yes, how awful for him and his young family of four children. Fancy having to put under police protection just for offending a few parents - the worst a teacher would normally expect would be a stern email from the Head. Thank Goodness the suspended teacher has been supported by the Department of Education, even if his own headteacher has fed him to the wolves to protect his own back (or head).

On does wonder why he has to go into hiding, after all, isn't Islam the religion of peace..? People (like the head teacher) are too quick to ''apologise'' and condemn, and we all know they do it not because they mean it, but because of societal pressure. There should be no apology whatsoever, the teacher was showing an image which is legal, allowed and protected by freedom of speech, and I believe he was talking about the Charlie Hebdo incident which makes the use of that particular image even more pertinent. It doesn't matter that Muslims aren't allowed to draw Muhammad or other people, we don't and shouldn't adhere to those laughable rules.
It is a sad state of affairs that so many are willing to kowtow in this manner to a religion, especially one of that nature. We, all of us, ought to feel able to talk about religion, discuss it, doubt it, and ridicule it without the fear of consequences. That ought to be an absolute. The fact that people and institutions are not standing up to this sort of behaviour is worrying.
This is a clear case of islamophobia and incitement on the teacher's part. It is right that he should be sacked and face prosecution. This goes far beyond free speech and into the realms of hate speech. He knew that it would upset and offend his muslim pupils yet he did it anyway.
Batley is a grooming rape gang town
Now a teacher has to go into hiding with his family over a cartoon
I wonder what this will do to community cohesion?
One of the protesters outside the school has been quoted saying "We would not like any form of extremism, any extremist viewpoints, to be taught to children." :facepalm2:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56523179

Freedom of expression is "extremism" :lol:
Original post by Azagthoa
This is a clear case of islamophobia and incitement on the teacher's part. It is right that he should be sacked and face prosecution. This goes far beyond free speech and into the realms of hate speech. He knew that it would upset and offend his muslim pupils yet he did it anyway.

Because no-one has ever made an error of judgment before.
Original post by DiddyDec

Of course it can be. What about preachers of Jihad; neo-Nazis, revolutionay Marxists?
Original post by nulli tertius
Of course it can be. What about preachers of Jihad; neo-Nazis, revolutionay Marxists?

I think the clear difference here it does not fall into the category of either hate speech or incitement.
I think the clear difference here it does not fall into the category of either hate speech or incitement.

I think I will wait for the inquiry.

You understand Catch 22; by claiming to be mad to avoid cambat, you prove your sanity.

You are exercising free speech if you don't claim to be exercising free speech but if you do claim to be exercising free speech, then it will almost certainly be an act of incitement.
I think I will wait for the inquiry.

You understand Catch 22; by claiming to be mad to avoid cambat, you prove your sanity.

You are exercising free speech if you don't claim to be exercising free speech but if you do claim to be exercising free speech, then it will almost certainly be an act of incitement.

There won't be an inquiry, just as there was no inquiry into the homophobic protects outside Birmingham primary schools.
One of the protesters outside the school has been quoted saying "We would not like any form of extremism, any extremist viewpoints, to be taught to children." :facepalm2:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56523179

To play devils advocate, do you consider Holocaust denial to be 'freedom of expression'?

Most Muslims disagree.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or they're right.
(edited 3 years ago)
There won't be an inquiry, just as there was no inquiry into the homophobic protects outside Birmingham primary schools.

The teacher is suspended. There will have to be an inquiry.
The teacher is suspended. There will have to be an inquiry.

I thought you meant proper inquiry like Grenfell is currently getting not just the school "investigating".
I thought you meant proper inquiry like Grenfell is currently getting not just the school "investigating".

There will be difficulty preventing it snowballing. The Head seems to lack judgment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending