The Student Room Group

Charityworks 2021

Hi there everyone,

I'm starting a thread since I haven't seen one for the latest period of applications for the Charityworks grad scheme, but if I'm wrong please direct me to it!

I applied to the scheme in mid-November, and haven't heard anything since. Is this normal? I know applications don't close until next month, but I haven't even had a confirmation email outside of the Applied link to my application.

Has anyone else applied? I myself literally stumbled across the scheme when looking for other jobs, and no-one else I know was aware of it either. It's pretty perfect for what I want to be doing as a career, so fingers crossed!

Scroll to see replies

I applied for the Fast Track the day applications opened and still haven't heard anything yet either! I guess no new is good news!
Hi! I went to their webinar this week & they said we’d hear back in early April!
(edited 3 years ago)
I heard back yesterday about the Fast-track scheme, I'm really looking forward to the development day!
Reply 4
Original post by AlexBakSik
I heard back yesterday about the Fast-track scheme, I'm really looking forward to the development day!

Me too! I'm looking forward to it!
Reply 5
Original post by ZK_99
Me too! I'm looking forward to it!

Also, does anyone know what former participants of the scheme went on to do after? I only know one girl who's done it and I think she struggled to find a job after the scheme
Reply 6
Original post by ZK_99
Also, does anyone know what former participants of the scheme went on to do after? I only know one girl who's done it and I think she struggled to find a job after the scheme

Hi, I have completed the scheme (I also wrote a new post on guidance for the application, which I doubt will be too useful for people in this thread, but alas).

I got initially an extension and later i would have gotten an offer for a permanent post. Since the extension, my salary went up significantly (from twenties to thirties k*). *london

BUT!!! My role was technical (STEM light) and very different from what 95% of people on the scheme do, which is more policy-social-fundraising based. I have eventually decided to go and move away from the charity sector (the why would be very long so I will avoid), so I cannot guarantee what would have happened. It likely would have ended with me having the permanent post, with salary of £30K.

From what I know about other people: most don't even get an extension. It is not that bad, but I would say 60/40 for not getting it. The extension could be 3-6 months, btw. The main thing of the program is that you have work experience. Don't hope to get anything more out of it than a 12 mo placement.

I think for some charities, the scheme is to find grads to fill entry level positions that will never be upgraded, so they get a new person each year.

Honestly, don't think about this differently than you would any other job application. Apply to other things and consider your options. Once they give you a match, don't worry about being difficult if you know what you want. Once you get in contact with your future line manager, ask questions and understand the job. If it is not what you want, feel free to decline. Charityworks is a talent acquisition agency after all. They get paid by the charity. I think they are good, dont get me wrong. But you do not owe them anything in terms of accepting the role they give you. They make a show that you cannot pick the role, bla bla bla. But it is a job more than anything, so you can refuse at any stage.

In terms of employability of the program. Idk, I went knowing I would not care about the "leadership" thing. It might be for some people. It is not for me, just useless waffle to make oneself sound smart. It is just a load of pseudoscience they try to pass as "evidence based". They did not particularly care when it was pointed out - they just say it is valid for some people and can still be useful (none of them have the science skills to evaluate the legitimacy of those claims...). The sessions are good, but for anything else beside the teaching bits.
Sorry for the off topic :frown:

In terms of employability, you are bound to find people that think like me: I see the word "leadership qualification" and roll my eyes. Unless you want to work HR, most people don't really like those words in the real world. They are not going to grant you a special pass when you apply for a job after the program because now you have a leadership qualification. I don't think the program itself (separate from the job) gives you much of an edge at all.

Most of the people i connected to on linkedin seems to be doing fine. But you know.. if they were doing badly they would not be shouting abt it on linkedin..
Reply 7
Original post by longlostlemming
Hi there everyone,

I'm starting a thread since I haven't seen one for the latest period of applications for the Charityworks grad scheme, but if I'm wrong please direct me to it!

I applied to the scheme in mid-November, and haven't heard anything since. Is this normal? I know applications don't close until next month, but I haven't even had a confirmation email outside of the Applied link to my application.

Has anyone else applied? I myself literally stumbled across the scheme when looking for other jobs, and no-one else I know was aware of it either. It's pretty perfect for what I want to be doing as a career, so fingers crossed!

Don't quote me on it, but I think all the applications are processed at the same time.

The grading should be completed these days. But they might want to go over the grading again.
Reply 8
Does anyone know when we might hear back now that the deadline for applications has been passed? Thank you! :smile:
Hi I've applied for the scheme. I can't seem to find any other threads on it for 2021 either on student room so this might be a good one to use :smile: Has anyone heard back yet as to whether they're through to the assessment centre?
I had an email from them saying that results should be sent out early this week. Good luck to everyone :smile:
I've just heard back and I'm through to the assessment centre :smile:
Reply 12
Also just heard back and got through to the assessment centre! Congrats to everyone moving on, nervous already...
Not heard back yet :/ anyone else?
I haven't heard back yet either - I have friends who have received both rejections and acceptance today! but I've not heard anything lol so maybe they will send out more emails through the week?
Original post by allymac175
I haven't heard back yet either - I have friends who have received both rejections and acceptance today! but I've not heard anything lol so maybe they will send out more emails through the week?

ahhh thanks that makes me less worried haha
fingers crossed we'll hear back soon!
Hey, I just received an email today congratulating me again for getting to the next round and reminding me to sign up to the assessment centre briefing but I just checked my emails (and my junk) and this is the first I’ve been told I got through lol. Anyone else? Could just be me but looking back to previous threads it seems like their emailing can be patchy sometimes...
Also does anyone have any idea how many rounds there are?
Original post by emmakatemcc
Hey, I just received an email today congratulating me again for getting to the next round and reminding me to sign up to the assessment centre briefing but I just checked my emails (and my junk) and this is the first I’ve been told I got through lol. Anyone else? Could just be me but looking back to previous threads it seems like their emailing can be patchy sometimes...

I've had the same thing! I hadn't heard back about my application at all but just got the reminder email today. Wasn't sure whether to email them asking about it :/
Lol I just had exactly the same thing. Maybe they accidentally scheduled the congrats emails for 2022 or something.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending