The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Can you buy a decent car under £3,000?

I plan on running a mobile business and will need a car to get to clients. For the price it will more than likely be a second hand car which isn't a problem considering this will be my first car and i dont want to fork out my entire savings espcially as I will be starting uni soon. Is it posisble to get a good decent car for £3,000—3,500. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Ams97
I plan on running a mobile business and will need a car to get to clients. For the price it will more than likely be a second hand car which isn't a problem considering this will be my first car and i dont want to fork out my entire savings espcially as I will be starting uni soon. Is it posisble to get a good decent car for £3,000—3,500. Thanks in advance.

If you are running it as a business have you considered business leasing instead? It will mean you can match the monthly expense to business cashflow and make the tax savings.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
If you are running it as a business have you considered business leasing instead? It will mean you can match the monthly expense to business cashflow and make the tax savings.

I'm not running a car business.
Reply 3
Original post by Ams97

That's not what I meant, sorry I probably was not clear enough.

If you are using a vehicle primarily for business use (except commuting to a single place of work) then you can claim the cost of that vehicle as a business asset. Ie: You make a tax saving on it's purchase and running.

It can be a bit complicated but business leasing companies can help simplify it, and mean you are paying monthly rather than a single lump sum. Often better for businesses.
Original post by Ams97

No they mean you lease/rent a nice new car for the use of your business, whatever it is, rather than buy an older used one.

In short, yes, you can get a decent car for that budget, you need special car insurance to operate a business from it though and you will likely find this expensive as a new driver.
Reply 5
Original post by Reue
That's not what I meant, sorry I probably was not clear enough.

If you are using a vehicle primarily for business use (except commuting to a single place of work) then you can claim the cost of that vehicle as a business asset. Ie: You make a tax saving on it's purchase and running.

It can be a bit complicated but business leasing companies can help simplify it, and mean you are paying monthly rather than a single lump sum. Often better for businesses.

Oh okay I see, that's something I will look into, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest