The Student Room Group

Can I buy a decent car for £3,000?

I plan on running a mobile business and will need a car to get to clients. For the price it will more than likely be a second hand car which isn't a problem considering this will be my first car and i dont want to fork out my entire savings espcially as I will be starting uni soon. Is it posisble to get a good decent car for £3,000—3,500. Thanks in advance.
(edited 3 years ago)
Of course, have a look secondhand. I got one for 500.
You can definitely get one for that money, but you may be looking at one which is 10 years old so make sure it has a full service history and preferably one or two owners.
Reply 3
Original post by Kogomogo
Of course, have a look secondhand. I got one for 500.

Where did you purchase it from and were there issues with in upon purchasing it+
Original post by Ams97
Where did you purchase it from and were there issues with in upon purchasing it+

Just a local used car dealership, it was recommeded as being a reputable place. Only issue was it needed a new exhaust but other than that just general car upkeep sort of stuff like tyres and a battery over the years. Some cars turn out good and others can be duds and end up costing loads so it's kind of luck really. If you know someone good with cars it's good to take them when shopping to at least look out for basic warning signs too.
Reply 5
Original post by Kogomogo
Just a local used car dealership, it was recommeded as being a reputable place. Only issue was it needed a new exhaust but other than that just general car upkeep sort of stuff like tyres and a battery over the years. Some cars turn out good and others can be duds and end up costing loads so it's kind of luck really. If you know someone good with cars it's good to take them when shopping to at least look out for basic warning signs too.

Okay, thank you.
Reply 6
FYI you’re title says 30 thousand, sort of.
Reply 7
Original post by virgil1
FYI you’re title says 30 thousand, sort of.

I know. I realised shortly after posting lol Idk how to change it, I'm new here. I'm sure most people know I mean 3,000 anway as I've mentioned that in the description.
Original post by Ams97
I know. I realised shortly after posting lol Idk how to change it, I'm new here. I'm sure most people know I mean 3,000 anway as I've mentioned that in the description.

If you press ‘edit’ on your original post, you should be able to change it (assuming you’re on the browser version of TSR) :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Ams97
I plan on running a mobile business and will need a car to get to clients. For the price it will more than likely be a second hand car which isn't a problem considering this will be my first car and i dont want to fork out my entire savings espcially as I will be starting uni soon. Is it posisble to get a good decent car for £3,000—3,500. Thanks in advance.

Look carefully at your insurance if you are using your car for business purposes; you will need insurance which is tailored for business use.

What kind of business are you planning on running?

By the way, you say that you are starting at Uni soon - make sure you know about the situation re students and cars, many Universities don't have student parking.
Reply 10
Have a look on Evan Halshaw website for what you can afford for this. Their prices are reasonable and no haggle so are a reasonable guide. You can get a reasonable small car for this I think.
Reply 11
Original post by Zarek
Have a look on Evan Halshaw website for what you can afford for this. Their prices are reasonable and no haggle so are a reasonable guide. You can get a reasonable small car for this I think.

Thank you, I will check it out.
Reply 12
Original post by summerberry19
If you press ‘edit’ on your original post, you should be able to change it (assuming you’re on the browser version of TSR) :smile:

Thank you☺️
Reply 13
Original post by Kerzen
Look carefully at your insurance if you are using your car for business purposes; you will need insurance which is tailored for business use.

What kind of business are you planning on running?

By the way, you say that you are starting at Uni soon - make sure you know about the situation re students and cars, many Universities don't have student parking.

Thanks, I'll do that.

It will be a beauty business.

I know one of the universities I have receieved an offer for provide free student parking but I will need to check for the others.
Original post by Ams97
I know one of the universities I have receieved an offer for provide free student parking but I will need to check for the others.

Seriously do NOT take this at face value, most unis do NOT like students driving, they see you as visitors, not staff. You might v well find that the 'Free Parking' is like 5 spaces so they get to tick a box and say they've offered parking. Mine did similar, if SAYS you can get a parking permit... but best of luck :colonhash:
Original post by Ams97
Thank you☺️

No problem :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Ams97

Which one?
For three grand I'd be looking at buying privately. You will need to take someone who knows about cars with you to look over the car. You get a lot more for your money at the budget end of the market going private over dealership.
Reply 18
Original post by Nuffles
For three grand I'd be looking at buying privately. You will need to take someone who knowsok about cars with you to look over the car. You get a lot more for your money at the budget end of the market going private over dealership.

Ok thank you.
You found a car yet,
Dont just think about the price of the car.
check out insurance it will be through the roof;

1) your a uni student
2) your still classed as young driver as your below 25
3) considerably high as your also using for business and your going to have high mileage
4) also depending on what type of vehicle and what area you live

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending