The Student Room Group

British airways aircraft maintenance apprenticeship

Anyone doing the aircraft maintenance apprenticeship with British Airways and can tell me whats it like?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't tell you what it's like but I'm starting the same apprenticeship this September so currently searching Google to try and find out a bit more of what to expect.
Original post by Sunitagun
Anyone doing the aircraft maintenance apprenticeship with British Airways and can tell me whats it like?
Reply 2
Congrats on being successful! My son is also starting it but not until Jan. Perhaps you can update us when you start so he knows what to exoect. Good luck
Original post by Yatesy90
Can't tell you what it's like but I'm starting the same apprenticeship this September so currently searching Google to try and find out a bit more of what to expect.
Reply 3
Same here,cannot wait
Reply 4
Original post by 77tm77
Same here,cannot wait

You started in Sept or due to start in Jan?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
When do the 2020 applications open? Says feb 2020 but nothing on BA website
Original post by Safsidi
When do the 2020 applications open? Says feb 2020 but nothing on BA website

I sent them an email a couple of days ago and this is what they sent back. Doesn't state a date so just have to wait I suppose.

Thank you for your email.
It was delayed but soon it will be open.
Please visit our website at www.ba.com/careers, where you will find detailed information about all of our current vacancies.
You can also register your details on our website to receive free email job alerts.
Thank you for your interest in British Airways.
Reply 7
Hows it going?
Reply 8

Hows It going?
Reply 9
Does anyone know the next stage of British Airways apprenticeship process?I got asked to complete a question. Do we still have to attend a assessment centre if we are successful?
Original post by Jack790
Does anyone know the next stage of British Airways apprenticeship process?I got asked to complete a question. Do we still have to attend a assessment centre if we are successful?

I had to complete that question too, I'm pretty sure the next step would be an assessment day but they will let us know in early April
Reply 11
I got a invite to a video interview if we pass that then theres a vitual assessment.
Reply 12
Original post by Aamer12
I got a invite to a video interview if we pass that then theres a vitual assessment.

That’s great Aamer12
Can you forward the video interview questions please
That’s going to be a big help thanks
Reply 13

Hi Can you tell me how you are getting on? If i get through the next 2 stages i.ll be starting sept 2021. Just worried about the affect the pandemic has has on apprentices? Is it a secured placement. Last year BA pulled out due to lockdown etc
Reply 14
Original post by Blakayo
That’s great Aamer12
Can you forward the video interview questions please
That’s going to be a big help thanks

I havent done it yet as im working. Its due end of next week. Ive been sent a link so wont no until i actually complete it
Reply 15
Is there anyone on here that can give me info like where we will be based 1st year?
Original post by Aamer12
Hi Can you tell me how you are getting on? If i get through the next 2 stages i.ll be starting sept 2021. Just worried about the affect the pandemic has has on apprentices? Is it a secured placement. Last year BA pulled out due to lockdown etc

So currently I'm working in terminal 3 to do the practical phase of the apprenticeship. Its pretty quiet as you'd expect due to the lack of flights but it means there is still progress towards my qualifications.

BA are making good use of furlough so a few other people in my cohort have been placed on that and I was for a few months last year.

The biggest effect for us was in the first year for completing our licence modules, we initially started those in Novemver 2019 at a training centre in the Cotswolds, however due to Covid they moved to zoom delivery and carrying out just the exams in person. We were kind of the guinea pigs for that so I would assume (and hope) that by the time anyone starts this September they would have really nailed how to deliver the modules best.

The guys who were due to finish their apprenticeship towards the end of last year completed the apprenticeship but unfortunately were not offered jobs at the end due to the lack of jobs available, however starting in this September any new apprentices would be in a better position as by the time you're looking for a job things will hopefully be back to normality.

In terms of how I'm personally getting on, I've passed all my modules first time, so I really would recommend knuckling down and studying hard for them as it means in placements you can jist focus on the NVQ stuff and not also having to revise for resits.
Reply 17
Thats a great help. So basically you are not guaranteed a job after completing the apprenticeship. That worrys me alot
Original post by Aamer12
Thats a great help. So basically you are not guaranteed a job after completing the apprenticeship. That worrys me alot

The aviation sector has always been a pretty volatile sector to work in. I wouldn't want to speculate too much, previously (pre covid) from what I had heard you weren't guaranteed a job but it was incredibly likely you would get one. As with pretty much everything Covid has thrown a huge spanner in the works as there have been redundancies across the business. If you start in September 2021 you wouldn't be looking for a full time position until mid to late 2024 which gives a lot of time for the industry as a whole to pick back up so I really would not worry too much. I'll be hoping for a full time job by about this time next year and I'm not worrying just yet!

Pre covid there was a shortage of engineers in the aviation industry as a whole so when things pick back up it is likely there will be a requirement for people with the skills you will pick up on the apprenticeship.
The aviation sector has always been a pretty volatile sector to work in. I wouldn't want to speculate too much, previously (pre covid) from what I had heard you weren't guaranteed a job but it was incredibly likely you would get one. As with pretty much everything Covid has thrown a huge spanner in the works as there have been redundancies across the business. If you start in September 2021 you wouldn't be looking for a full time position until mid to late 2024 which gives a lot of time for the industry as a whole to pick back up so I really would not worry too much. I'll be hoping for a full time job by about this time next year and I'm not worrying just yet!

Pre covid there was a shortage of engineers in the aviation industry as a whole so when things pick back up it is likely there will be a requirement for people with the skills you will pick up on the apprenticeship.

The fact that BA has restarted apprentice recruitment shows that they are confident for the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending