The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Being rejected due to underage

Hi!
I'm a student from hong kong and i have applied for physio. Unfortunately I was rejected because I'm under 18 when the course starts in the coming Sept.
I'd like to know is it a policy that applies to international students as well? Or does it only applies to healthcare courses like physio?
The fact is that in HK, we only have 6 years of secondary education so not everyone turns 18 before going to uni, while I'm turning 18 in the coming October :frown:
Just want to know if that's really the case. Thanks!
there is no way that the course applies a requirement less strictly to internationals than it does to home students, no
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
there is no way that the course applies a requirement less strictly to internationals than it does to home students, no

thanks for your reply!
yes of course they treat us all fairly but maybe i was not clear enough when asking
my concern is that i'm not sure whether SHU really has a policy requiring everyone to reach 18 before enrolment because I didn't face such obstacles when applying to other uni
and i'm also unfamiliar with uni policies in the uk
coz i thought they would ask me to fill in some parents consent form instead of rejecting me right away
Original post by Anonymous
thanks for your reply!
yes of course they treat us all fairly but maybe i was not clear enough when asking
my concern is that i'm not sure whether SHU really has a policy requiring everyone to reach 18 before enrolment because I didn't face such obstacles when applying to other uni
and i'm also unfamiliar with uni policies in the uk
coz i thought they would ask me to fill in some parents consent form instead of rejecting me right away

its not really that simple. being under 18 in a foreign country without your legal guardians is problematic - i don't know how you go about signing a contract for somewhere to live in those circumstances

either way, i wasn't saying its a policy they apply for the sake of it. im saying its a policy they apply for good reason, and sure enough, i googled "shu under 18" and the first thing that comes up is a policy document saying just that im afraid
Hi!
I'm a student from hong kong and i have applied for physio. Unfortunately I was rejected because I'm under 18 when the course starts in the coming Sept.
I'd like to know is it a policy that applies to international students as well? Or does it only applies to healthcare courses like physio?
The fact is that in HK, we only have 6 years of secondary education so not everyone turns 18 before going to uni, while I'm turning 18 in the coming October :frown:

Hi, it's not uncommon for UK Universities to stipulate a minimum age requirement at the time of enrolment on healthcare courses. This tends to relate to the fact that you'll be exposed to clinical environments within your first year of study. This will be a blanket rule, applied to domestic and international students alike.

If you check the course page for Physio at Sheffield Hallam, you will note that this requirement is explicitly stated: Please note the University will only admit students who are aged 18 at the point of enrolment.
Source: https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/physiotherapy/bsc-honours-physiotherapy/full-time

Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Original post by HoldThisL
its not really that simple. being under 18 in a foreign country without your legal guardians is problematic - i don't know how you go about signing a contract for somewhere to live in those circumstances

either way, i wasn't saying its a policy they apply for the sake of it. im saying its a policy they apply for good reason, and sure enough, i googled "shu under 18" and the first thing that comes up is a policy document saying just that im afraid

I actually have guardians in the uk because my older sister's boyfriend and my dad's friends are living in the uk, they are local British. So they helped me fill in the under 18 consent form required by Nottingham and they accepted the guardianship.

But I agree with you that it's a huge responsibility to keep underage students safe so I guess that's why some uni rather not take the risk?

Anyways thanks so much for looking up the info for me!
Reply 6
Original post by dacb2f2dd4
Hi, it's not uncommon for UK Universities to stipulate a minimum age requirement at the time of enrolment on healthcare courses. This tends to relate to the fact that you'll be exposed to clinical environments within your first year of study. This will be a blanket rule, applied to domestic and international students alike.

If you check the course page for Physio at Sheffield Hallam, you will note that this requirement is explicitly stated: Please note the University will only admit students who are aged 18 at the point of enrolment.
Source: https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/physiotherapy/bsc-honours-physiotherapy/full-time

Hope this helps!

thanks for your help!
i absolutely understand the dangers and risks faced by underage students but the main reason why I was kind of disappointed is that my 18th birthday is just around 2 weeks away from the course enrolment so I thought there might be a chance to discuss it with the admission team
my intention is to save as many applications as i can because i'm also rejected by Coventry due to underage, and I just knew it recently, after 3 months since i applied ucas at around christmas time.
it's just quite frustrating because i'm preparing for the college entrance exam starting next month but my agent suggests me to apply 2 more uni through direct application to replace SHU and coventry
Hi!

Hey,

Thank you for your message. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's disheartening being rejected due to your age when you're going to be 18 when you attend the course.

Since finding your thread, I contacted the International Office at Coventry University and spoke to Admissions for Physiotherapy to see how I could help support your issue.
Due to the complexity of your problem, I am unable to provide exact answers for you due to the confidentiality of your application and there are other factors that may or may not influence the rejection from uni. From reading the under 18 policy for the uni, there doesn't seem to be any issues at face value. However, it's best to contact the International Office for more information so that you can find out why you got rejected, as well as contacting the Admissions team for Physiotherapy. If your 18th birthday is 2 weeks away from enrolment, this shouldn't be an issue as you would be 18 when the course starts and you need to be at least 18 to study an NHS healthcare course.

Here are the contact details for you:

International Office: +44 (0) 24 7615 2152

Admissions for Physiotherapy: +44 (0) 24 7765 2222

Furthermore, you can respond back to the email address the university provided to query for more information or email via [email protected]. Bearing in mind you may have to wait up to 5 days for a response.

I hope this helps and you can find out more information regarding your rejection. Let us know how you get on too! Good luck.

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
sorry to heard that. I am also from HK. According to my understanding from physiotherapy department of the university in the open day. This policy is because in year 1 many university got anatomy sections, these anatomy sessions need to be 18 or above to participate. This applies to all student apply UK physiocourse. However some of the UK university accept student who are under 18, but this depends. Hope this have answered your question
Hi,

Unfortunately we will only admit students who are aged 18 at the point of enrolment. However, as I cannot access your personal information I would advice getting in touch with our admissions team. You can email them on [email protected] and +44 (0)114 225 5555, they'll be much better equipped to deal with your questions.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Stacey
Official Sheffield Hallam Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending