The Student Room Group

University of Oxford A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

also on their website they say that they want 7.5% of their interview spots (at most im guessing) to go to internationals to coincide with the quota for international med students in the uni.

they say this on their website for internationals:

551 applicants identified as international for fee-paying purposes submitted complete applications. Following shortlisting, which is conducted in line with the quota imposed on the Medical School by the UK Government for the available international places, 32 of these applicants were shortlisted and 6 applicants received an offer for 2021.

so the standard to be selected is a lot higher, id say deffo do more gcses but if you cant get extra a*s just apply to cambridge instead
Original post by Radish Spirit
also on their website they say that they want 7.5% of their interview spots (at most im guessing) to go to internationals to coincide with the quota for international med students in the uni.

they say this on their website for internationals:

551 applicants identified as international for fee-paying purposes submitted complete applications. Following shortlisting, which is conducted in line with the quota imposed on the Medical School by the UK Government for the available international places, 32 of these applicants were shortlisted and 6 applicants received an offer for 2021.

so the standard to be selected is a lot higher, id say deffo do more gcses but if you cant get extra a*s just apply to cambridge instead

I would urge all international students to reconsider prior to applying to Oxford for Medicine.

While it's certainly not impossible, it is head and shoulders, miles ahead of every other medical course and university in terms of competition ratios - it's nearly 100 applicants to one place!

You'd get a much better chance at other med schools, including Cambridge (just looking at the competition ratios).

Post originally created by ecolier.
Advice appreciated!
I am taking Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A-level and hoping to apply to Medicine at Oxford this autumn for 2022 entry.
According to Oxford's website, 97% of applicants offered places in Medicine last year had Biology at A-level - is it hopeless even applying without Biology?
Website says it is not mandatory but stats show it kind of is?
Anyone know of successful Oxford Medicine applicants who got without having A-level Biology?
Original post by Pleaseletmeknow
Advice appreciated!
I am taking Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A-level and hoping to apply to Medicine at Oxford this autumn for 2022 entry.
According to Oxford's website, 97% of applicants offered places in Medicine last year had Biology at A-level - is it hopeless even applying without Biology?
Anyone know of successful Oxford Medicine applicants who got without having A-level Biology?

Correlation =/= Causation.

Just because the majority of med applicants do Biology, Chemistry and Maths (or Physics) it doesn't mean that it is required at all med schools.

On the other hand, without a virtually perfect set of GCSEs it's pretty hopeless if you wanted to apply to Oxford.

Advice appreciated!

What the majority choices are doesn't tell you anything about success rates. What if every one of those 3% who didn't do biology got in?

Here is an analysis of the different subjects and how it correlated with getting into Oxford

Here is a larger analysis of whether certain subjects correlate with BMAT and UCAT results.

Here is an analysis of UCAS data and what subjects correlated with getting in to 7 med schools.

In all cases they are correlations only - it doesn't tell you what the cause of the trend is.

Without success rates to compare, its not even correlation. Its just majority.
Reply 25
Advice appreciated!

I was offered a place at Oxford for 2021 with Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths A Levels. I really revised my Biology for the BMAT but I actually think that the Physics and Maths helped me boost my BMAT score (7.3, 7.3, 3.5A) I still have to achieve my grades before I can actually say I got in, so fingers crossed .... but, I guess that reassures you that you can get an offer without Biology. Work to ace your BMAT and interview!
Reply 26
Original post by Birdie5
I was offered a place at Oxford for 2021 with Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths A Levels. I really revised my Biology for the BMAT but I actually think that the Physics and Maths helped me boost my BMAT score (7.3, 7.3, 3.5A) I still have to achieve my grades before I can actually say I got in, so fingers crossed .... but, I guess that reassures you that you can get an offer without Biology. Work to ace your BMAT and interview!

I should also add that there is a huge element of luck - and I am keenly aware many candidates who are just as worthy as me (if not more!) didn't get offers. I had a great first interview with questions that resonated with my experience and interviewers who really put me at ease and allowed me to show my best self. My second interview I was pretty awful and I think I came across much worse so I was lucky the first college took me! All you can do is your best and not beat yourself up, or allow it to define you either way! Good luck with your application!
Reply 27
Hi, back again aha, I have an offer from one other med school, but still so drawn towards Oxford as a uni, even though I was rejected post-interview this year. I would like to reapply, but I know that's a huge gamble. Stats this year:
BMAT - 5.2, 6.9, 4A
4A*s predicted
GCSEs - 99999999888A^
I think it was my interview that let me down this year and I know I can do better. I also realise it's very risky and that next years cohort is going to be very different from this one, so will have very different competition. By reapplying I risk getting no offers at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
Reply 28
Original post by nwbsmed

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

I think you have summed that up for yourself?
So which is more important, medicine or Oxford? As if it is the latter, I suspect there are easier subjects to get an offer for than medicine
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nwbsmed
...Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

You did say any advice would be appreciated... I think you should take that offer that you have!

It is very, very silly to reapply when you already have a medicine offer - especially considering that Oxford is one of the most competitive med schools (in terms of numbers) in the entire country.

There is absolutely no guarantee that you will even get any offer next year, so you may be giving away something good for a very risky bet.

I spotted that you have a Birmingham offer, it is an absolutely fine med school, you'd enjoy your 5 years there - go for it.

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by GANFYD
I think you have summed that up for yourself?
So which is more important, medicine or Oxford? As if it is the latter, I suspect there are easier subjects to get an offer for than medicine

It's definitely medicine, there is nothing else I can imagine doing really. I'm just a very stubborn person and feel the need to prove to myself that I can if that makes sense? I also realise that sounds very childish and impulsive, but I genuinely think I'd manage it for 2022 entry?
Reply 31
Yes that does entirely make sense, thank you. I just feel like I have something to prove, both to myself and others that I can do it! Maybe I need to think about it a bit more :/
Original post by nwbsmed
Yes that does entirely make sense, thank you. I just feel like I have something to prove, both to myself and others that I can do it! Maybe I need to think about it a bit more :/

Prove what? That you should "waste" another 2 years in the best circumstances?

Remember: if you started with B'ham in 2021 you'd be an FY1 doctor in 2026; best case scenario - you get in Oxford 2022 you wouldn't be a doctor until 2028. That's 2 years' lost earnings (as a consultant / GP) which could be > £200,000.

It's not worth your time and money to chase something that's insignificant. If you so desire you could always do a post-grad qualification at Oxford, train in the Thames Valley Deanery or become a clinical lecturer at Oxford - you wouldn't be disadvantaged just because you didn't graduate from there.

Reply 33
Original post by nwbsmed
It's definitely medicine, there is nothing else I can imagine doing really. I'm just a very stubborn person and feel the need to prove to myself that I can if that makes sense? I also realise that sounds very childish and impulsive, but I genuinely think I'd manage it for 2022 entry?

OK, but you risk losing the chance to do medicine at all, or at least delaying it by years. Did you genuinely think you would manage it for 2021 entry? A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, and you will be a Dr wherever you graduate from - nobody else is going to know or care where that is
I am planning to apply for medicine for 2022 entry, and I am currently in year 13. For a university like Oxford which focuses very heavily on GCSEs, and since the 2022 cohort had CAG for their GCSEs with the accompanied grade inflation, will I be at a disadvantage?/Will the "statistical competition" be higher? I achieved 99999999988A in my GCSEs.
Reply 35
Yes I suppose you're right, there are plenty of other opportunities I can take, thank you for talking some sense into me aha!!
Reply 36
Original post by GANFYD
OK, but you risk losing the chance to do medicine at all, or at least delaying it by years. Did you genuinely think you would manage it for 2021 entry? A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, and you will be a Dr wherever you graduate from - nobody else is going to know or care where that is

Yes that is a consideration, I honestly wasn't sure for 2021 entry, I think I treated it a bit hit or miss. I know what I can improve on this year due to that, which is what's convincing me to reapply. But yes, it doesn't exactly matter where I graduate from. Thank you, this is massively appreciated!
Original post by thebread3
I am planning to apply for medicine for 2022 entry, and I am currently in year 13. For a university like Oxford which focuses very heavily on GCSEs, and since the 2022 cohort had CAG for their GCSEs with the accompanied grade inflation, will I be at a disadvantage?/Will the "statistical competition" be higher? I achieved 99999999988A in my GCSEs.

With 11x A*s you are just above the Oxford med offer holders' average - I wouldn't have thought that it would go up significantly above the current number (10.2 this year, 10.5 last year).

Reply 38
I suspect the spread may narrow a bit though, and there will be more applicants with high numbers of A* equivalents, given the number who achieved an A* almost doubled last year with CAGs
Original post by GANFYD
I suspect the spread may narrow a bit though, and there will be more applicants with high numbers of A* equivalents, given the number who achieved an A* almost doubled last year with CAGs

Very true, that's why I was specific in same the average wouldn't change significantly :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest