The Student Room Group

UCL A100 2022 Entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University College London A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about UCL.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the UCL A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

UCL A100 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560874

For general information click:https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/

For entry requirements click: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements

UCL A100 2022 Offer Holders: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7177720

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

haha looks like I’m the first here! Just wanted to hop on and say that I’ve received an offer for UCL this year, so if any of you have any queries about applying to UCL feel free to ask away :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by qwert7890
haha looks like I’m the first here! Just wanted to hop on and say that I’ve received an offer for UCL this year, so if any of you have any queries about applying to UCL feel free to ask away :smile:

Hi, congrats brw on your offer. If you don’t mind, would you be able to share some of your stats??
Original post by M.eron
Hi, congrats brw on your offer. If you don’t mind, would you be able to share some of your stats??

Hi! Yeah sure, although bare in mind I’m an international (but I’ve taken GCSEs and A Levels just like you guys :smile:)

IGCSEs: 6A*s (999998)
Achieved A Levels: A*A*A* (with A* in EPQ)
BMAT: 5.7 / 6.9 / 3A

Let me know if there is anything I’m missing :smile: From what 2021 entry has highlighted, UCL places much emphasis on Personal Statements (and scores them too) and references it appears. Even top 5% BMAT scores did not promise an interview.
Hi! Also a UCL offer holder too! Home student who is more than happy to provide advice to future UCL medical applicants! I’ve seen qwert on the UCL thread for 2021 so hello to you and congrats on your offer!

GCSEs: 999999887
Predicted : 4A*s
BMAT: 4.5/5.7/3.5A

As you can see, even with a BMAT score like mine you can get an interview, so make sure you focus a lot on personal statement! Having a really good BMAT score definitely does not guarantee an interview, so my advice is to never be complacent at all, and always give 100% and never less, even if you think you can afford it!
Original post by UrFellowMedic
Hi! Also a UCL offer holder too! Home student who is more than happy to provide advice to future UCL medical applicants! I’ve seen qwert on the UCL thread for 2021 so hello to you and congrats on your offer!

GCSEs: 999999887
Predicted : 4A*s
BMAT: 4.5/5.7/3.5A

As you can see, even with a BMAT score like mine you can get an interview, so make sure you focus a lot on personal statement! Having a really good BMAT score definitely does not guarantee an interview, so my advice is to never be complacent at all, and always give 100% and never less, even if you think you can afford it!

does ucl always place a heavy emphasis on personal statements
Original post by user3344555

Historically, it is known for placing an emphasis on your wider interests and commitment/motivation - and these are demonstrated in your PS, so I’d say yes.

It’s one of the few schools that stills scores your PS.

UCL likes students to also be more well-balanced; so if you all are planning to apply to UCL make sure you have other extra curricular interests. Having a third A Level subject which is non-science for example, is something they like.

Indeed, they don’t solely focus on your BMAT grades. UCL also accepts students with 3s and low 4s, which is unlike other unis like Imperial / Oxford / Cambridge
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by user3344555

As Qwert said, UCL loves wider things. It’s what interested me the most of UCL, that they want people who aren’t just academic. From what I remember, UCL ranks Personal Statements AND references from a score of 1-5, 1 being the best and 5 being the worst. So they do place emphasis as people with 4s or 5s in personal statement and reference but have good BMAT get rejected. So make sure you get a good reference and personal statement!
Hi @qwert7890
I’m taking biology, chemistry and maths as an A level I’m in year 12 I’m doing Cambridge as an exam board I want advice on how you study I’m an international student too thank you
Hi! Yeah sure, although bare in mind I’m an international (but I’ve taken GCSEs and A Levels just like you guys :smile:)

IGCSEs: 6A*s (999998)
Achieved A Levels: A*A*A* (with A* in EPQ)
BMAT: 5.7 / 6.9 / 3A

Let me know if there is anything I’m missing :smile: From what 2021 entry has highlighted, UCL places much emphasis on Personal Statements (and scores them too) and references it appears. Even top 5% BMAT scores did not promise an interview.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Mathlover
Hi @qwert7890
I’m taking biology, chemistry and physics as an A level I’m in year 12 I’m doing Cambridge as an exam board I want advice on how you study I’m an international student too thank you

Hi!

I also did Cambridge International as my board (it’s very rare I find someone who did :biggrin:). Do you mean study tips for A levels?
Hey! Thank you so so much for replying to me! I’m doing Cambridge and yes I mean study tips for A levels. I’m in year 12 I have my first exam in 38 days (Maths) did you do AS and then do A levels?
Hi!

I also did Cambridge International as my board (it’s very rare I find someone who did :biggrin:). Do you mean study tips for A levels?
Hi!

@qwert7890 so when did you start revising for A levels / AS? If you don’t mind helping me out :biggrin:
Original post by Mathlover
@qwert7890 so when did you start revising for A levels / AS? If you don’t mind helping me out :biggrin:

This thread is specifically for UCL queries for medicine. How about I PM you stuff?
I’m sorry! Yes please do PM me stuff

This thread is specifically for UCL queries for medicine. How about I PM you stuff?

@qwert7890 Could you please check your PM?
Reply 15
Historically, it is known for placing an emphasis on your wider interests and commitment/motivation - and these are demonstrated in your PS, so I’d say yes.

It’s one of the few schools that stills scores your PS.

UCL likes students to also be more well-balanced; so if you all are planning to apply to UCL make sure you have other extra curricular interests. Having a third A Level subject which is non-science for example, is something they like.

Indeed, they don’t solely focus on your BMAT grades. UCL also accepts students with 3s and low 4s, which is unlike other unis like Imperial / Oxford / Cambridge

hello! Congratulations on your acceptance into UCL!! I'm an international student too. May I ask what ECs you included in your PS?
Original post by seaskeg
hello! Congratulations on your acceptance into UCL!! I'm an international student too. May I ask what ECs you included in your PS?

My Silver DofE award, my voluntary work (does this count as extracurriculars?), my graphic designing + blog, and my piano playing skills (altho I remain somewhat an amateur :tongue:).

I also mentioned a few supra curricular activities; a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) and my independent research project (IPQ).
My Silver DofE award, my voluntary work (does this count as extracurriculars?), my graphic designing + blog, and my piano playing skills (altho I remain somewhat an amateur :tongue:).

I also mentioned a few supra curricular activities; a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) and my independent research project (IPQ).

I don’t think volunteering counts as extra curricular since on most websites they put separate bullet points for volunteering and ECs. UCL says what they generally want in the PS on their website!
Hi!! I was just wondering if ucl accepts PQA international students or if there is some bias when choosing between PQA and school leavers- are there any stats on this too?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Tat1234tm
Hi!! I was just wondering if ucl accepts PQA international students or if there is some bias when choosing between PQA and school leavers- are there any stats on this too?

Usually, UCL would accept people with achieved qualifications provided that this has been completed no longer than two years before year of entry.

As for the bias, I speculate that UCL would prefer achieved grades over predicted, and so having your grades already might be an advantage. This is because they say they use and look at A Levels in their selection procedure, which implies that they look at it beyond minimum requirements.

I do not have any information on whether this is true but I'm sure @GANFYD will know if that's the case :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending