The Student Room Group

Edinburgh A100 / MBChB for HCP 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alannah1064
Having known people who have studied business and chemistry in Edinburgh and commuted from Edinburgh it is definitely possible. Challenging at times but possible haha. Although I’m aware that the demands of the medicine course like the placements in local GPs etc would make things difficult. I am however swaying more towards Dundee for which my partner and I will have to move, so feeling a mixture or terror and excitement 🤣

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer Dundee over Edinburgh?
Original post by amalinasugg

Well there are a few factors; the more patient based curriculum and the case based learning from early on seems more to my learning style preference. Dundee was rated first in UK by the complete university guide for studying medicine in 2019 and joint first with Glasgow in 2020. The student satisfaction rates are reportedly higher in Dundee medical students and from my reading produce more efficient and equipped junior doctors from the get go.
The fact that Edinburgh has a compulsory intercalated year is slightly off putting as a graduate as I feel I’ve done my share of research and get the vibes that Edinburgh pushes students into more research based roles...
Original post by amalinasugg

Oh and not to forget Dundee would provide the novel experience of the thiel-embalmed cadavers which, being as close to examining a living person as can be, would provide a more enriched experience and learning of the body’s anatomy.
The fact that Edinburgh has a compulsory intercalated year is slightly off putting as a graduate as I feel I’ve done my share of research and get the vibes that Edinburgh pushes students into more research based roles...

I am also a graduate who is considering offers and asked Edinburgh about the intercalated year and it is not compulsory for graduates, only non-graduates have the compulsory intercalated year.
Hope that helps, I originally had the same thought about the extra year!
:-)
Oops, can’t delete this!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by PercyPig:-)
I am also a graduate who is considering offers and asked Edinburgh about the intercalated year and it is not compulsory for graduates, only non-graduates have the compulsory intercalated year.
Hope that helps, I originally had the same thought about the extra year!
:-)

Ahh thank you for this! Do you have evidence to support this? It’s just I was so sure I read it somewhere and my partner is telling me I made it up so please let me stick it to him 😂 where are you studying if you don’t mind me asking?
Ahh thank you for this! Do you have evidence to support this? It’s just I was so sure I read it somewhere and my partner is telling me I made it up so please let me stick it to him 😂 where are you studying if you don’t mind me asking?

Hi there, yes sure I found the email from last June. It was a pretty generic response apart from the last paragraph in the screenshot. You can use a smug face now lol!
I am currently at Glasgow uni studying mechanical engineering and just finished my last week of teaching on Friday there. Can’t wait to be done :-)
(edited 3 years ago)
Attachment not found
Hi there, yes sure I found the email from last June. It was a pretty generic response apart from the last paragraph in the screenshot. You can use a smug face now lol!
I am currently at Glasgow uni studying mechanical engineering and just finished my last week of teaching on Friday there. Can’t wait to be done :-)

Great thank you haha! Oh I will😌 ah nice, wish you all the best in the last leg of your studies!
What other offers are you considering then?
Great thank you haha! Oh I will😌 ah nice, wish you all the best in the last leg of your studies!
What other offers are you considering then?

Thank you very much. Might be worth emailing or asking at the offer holder day at Edinburgh yourself just to be 100% safe although I am sure they will say the same thing. Have you already graduated? I am currently leaning towards Dundee as my firm with Glasgow close behind, I will wait till the online offer days to get more info and choose once I am free from uni :-)
Thank you very much. Might be worth emailing or asking at the offer holder day at Edinburgh yourself just to be 100% safe although I am sure they will say the same thing. Have you already graduated? I am currently leaning towards Dundee as my firm with Glasgow close behind, I will wait till the online offer days to get more info and choose once I am free from uni :-)

Yeah I have done just hadn’t gotten a reply yet. Yes I actually graduated in Zoology 2 years ago, this was my second attempt of application. I’ve just been working as a health care support worker in the community and on the wards among other things in between😊 ah that’s great you got Glasgow, I unfortunately got their rejection yesterday. It was going to be my first choice but mainly just because it meant I didn’t need to move. But slowly I’m feeling less daunted about moving away from family/friend and more excited!
Yeah I have done just hadn’t gotten a reply yet. Yes I actually graduated in Zoology 2 years ago, this was my second attempt of application. I’ve just been working as a health care support worker in the community and on the wards among other things in between😊 ah that’s great you got Glasgow, I unfortunately got their rejection yesterday. It was going to be my first choice but mainly just because it meant I didn’t need to move. But slowly I’m feeling less daunted about moving away from family/friend and more excited!

Great stuff, I am sure all that experience will help you a lot when it comes to being on placement on the wards! Sorry to hear that about Glasgow, you've still got some great unis tho. I am from the up in the Highlands and so I have no choice but to move. It is pretty daunting but after a few years you'll think nothing of it once your settled. Even if you do move out it is really easy to get in and out of Glasgow so you will never be too far away from home! :-)
(edited 3 years ago)
Great stuff, I am sure all that experience will help you a lot when it comes to being on placement on the wards! Sorry to hear that about Glasgow, you've still got some great unis tho. I am from the up in the Highlands and so I have no choice but to move. It is pretty daunting but after a few years you'll think nothing of it once your settled. Even if you do move out it is really easy to get in and out of Glasgow so you will never be too far away from home! :-)

Definitely, I’m glad I have it under my belt☺️ Ah it wasn’t meant to be I guess, get the chance to experience another university though! However I was wondering what the likelihood of gaining a place through clearance was like when it comes to medicine. What factors are you considering when choosing your school? Ah nice, I’ve always loved hiking and exploring the highlands! Yeah I guess I’m just such a home buddy haha! My mum was a wreck when I moved out just a 10 minute drive away 🤣
Definitely, I’m glad I have it under my belt☺️ Ah it wasn’t meant to be I guess, get the chance to experience another university though! However I was wondering what the likelihood of gaining a place through clearance was like when it comes to medicine. What factors are you considering when choosing your school? Ah nice, I’ve always loved hiking and exploring the highlands! Yeah I guess I’m just such a home buddy haha! My mum was a wreck when I moved out just a 10 minute drive away 🤣

From what I can tell so far Edinburgh seemed very research focused through all years which is something I am less keen on with my experience at uni. Dundee and Glasgow have quite similar courses I think which are more practical based and I like the fact Dundee has roughly 160 per year compared to Glasgow’s 300 per year. St Andrews course sounds good too although it would definitely be 6 years and that doesn’t suit me so much.
From what I can tell so far Edinburgh seemed very research focused through all years which is something I am less keen on with my experience at uni. Dundee and Glasgow have quite similar courses I think which are more practical based and I like the fact Dundee has roughly 160 per year compared to Glasgow’s 300 per year. St Andrews course sounds good too although it would definitely be 6 years and that doesn’t suit me so much.

Yeah I get that feeling too which is off putting for me and I’m not sure just how feasible a daily commute would be. So if I would need to up sticks and move away regardless I’d be going with Dundee. Yes me too, a chance to better get to know your year group and opportunity for more support. Yeah st Andrews is just a bit too much out the way for me and wouldn’t suit me as I’d be having to move after three years and couldn’t expect my partner to do it again.
Reply 55
Original post by anna4088852
Scottish grad here!
Scottish grad here aswell! What is everyone doing for accommodation? Is anyone thinking about postgrad halls?
Reply 56

Hey, just wondering if Edinburgh got back to you about if the intercalated year was compulsory for graduates also ? Thank you
Does anyone know when the closing date for accommodation applications is?
Reply 58
I think it’s the 16th august :smile:
Original post by Xtimixo
Does anyone know when the closing date for accommodation applications is?
Original post by Tee14
Hey, just wondering if Edinburgh got back to you about if the intercalated year was compulsory for graduates also ? Thank you

Hey just thought I’d jump in and answer this it’s not compulsory for graduates 🤗

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending