The Student Room Group

Deciding between Lancaster University and University of York

Hi, I am struggling to decide between Lancaster University and University of York to study computer science. For your information, Lancaster University has an overall higher ranking than University of York, but University of York has a higher ranking in subject-wise (CS).

I would like to hear some opinions / suggestions from other people about the universities I mentioned above in general or the CS course they provide.

Thanks.
put this in the york thread mate, you may get more responses
Original post by Harry.Y
Hi, I am struggling to decide between Lancaster University and University of York to study computer science. For your information, Lancaster University has an overall higher ranking than University of York, but University of York has a higher ranking in subject-wise (CS).

I would like to hear some opinions / suggestions from other people about the universities I mentioned above in general or the CS course they provide.

Thanks.

Ive visited both of them with my daughter on open days, and daughter studies physics at Lancaster university.
On a comparrable sense, both of her courses and modules are just as good as each other, so she then looked at other things such as rankings which also is higher up for Lancaster for physics.
Another few reasons why she chose lancaster over york was the accommodation is cheaper. Yorks accommodation fee pretty much took all of her student finance, but with lancaster she has some left over. And it had more internahip oppotunities.
She also chose Lancaster because the student accommodation for 2nd year plus are in some nice areas, plus its very close to the coast so she can visit Morcambe on the bus which leaves from campus. And the fact 2 buses and shes at the lake district. Train links to liverpool and manchester and also a direct train to Edinburgh as well.
Lancaster also has many eateries on campus and lots of walking areas such as the canal path, Galgate village and the woodland walk which goes round the campus. Lancasters Library is also mch bigger and they are having an extention added on to make it even bigger. not to mention the new 400 seat lecture theatre. All lancasters colleges has bars where Yorks does not, so it makes a great pub crawl on night out. all of the campus is joined together where Yorks got Hes west and Hes east and its either a 20 mins walk between the two or a free bus at term times.

On Yorks side they have a lake in the middle from campus which is very pretty, and they have more night clubs I beleive. Lancaster has glow/Dalton rooms , sugarhouse (which is being renamed), and Kanteena which does live music from bands.
Yorks city has great character with the tudor buildings on the shambles, where lancasters is more Georgian, grey stone brick buildings. Lancasters city is smaller compared to yorks, but does have all the bits and bobs you need for shopping, clothes cafes etc.

So yeah, always go for the modules first, then the unis and their facilities, job opportunties, accommodation, and city. I would say in that order too :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Ive visited both of them with my daughter on open days, and daughter studies physics at Lancaster university.
On a comparrable sense, both of her courses and modules are just as good as each other, so she then looked at other things such as rankings which also is higher up for Lancaster for physics.
Another few reasons why she chose lancaster over york was the accommodation is cheaper. Yorks accommodation fee pretty much took all of her student finance, but with lancaster she has some left over. And it had more internahip oppotunities.
She also chose Lancaster because the student accommodation for 2nd year plus are in some nice areas, plus its very close to the coast so she can visit Morcambe on the bus which leaves from campus. And the fact 2 buses and shes at the lake district. Train links to liverpool and manchester and also a direct train to Edinburgh as well.
Lancaster also has many eateries on campus and lots of walking areas such as the canal path, Galgate village and the woodland walk which goes round the campus. Lancasters Library is also mch bigger and they are having an extention added on to make it even bigger. not to mention the new 400 seat lecture theatre. All lancasters colleges has bars where Yorks does not, so it makes a great pub crawl on night out. all of the campus is joined together where Yorks got Hes west and Hes east and its either a 20 mins walk between the two or a free bus at term times.

On Yorks side they have a lake in the middle from campus which is very pretty, and they have more night clubs I beleive. Lancaster has glow/Dalton rooms , sugarhouse (which is being renamed), and Kanteena which does live music from bands.
Yorks city has great character with the tudor buildings on the shambles, where lancasters is more Georgian, grey stone brick buildings. Lancasters city is smaller compared to yorks, but does have all the bits and bobs you need for shopping, clothes cafes etc.

So yeah, always go for the modules first, then the unis and their facilities, job opportunties, accommodation, and city. I would say in that order too :smile:

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending