The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Alannah1064
Hello! I am a Scottish graduate, currently living in Glasgow and considering my offer to study medicine at Dundee. I was absolutely overwhelmed when I got my offers (Dundee, Edinburgh and St. Andrews) and admittedly gutted when I got the rejection from Glasgow. Buuut hey ho! I’m wondering if there are others who have firmed Dundee or like me are considering it and are up for starting a chat? 😊 hope everyone is well! If you didn’t get in this year don’t be too disappointed, just pick yourself up and try again, just get plenty work experience and don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty haha. This was my second try.

Hi, I’m a Scottish school leaver, also from Glasgow. I’m still waiting to hear back from one of my choices but I’m pretty sure I’m going to firm Dundee. I’m pretty conflicted over what accommodation to choose since I’ll be moving out. You got any idea of what accommodation seems the best?
Oh yes sorry I didn’t mean a chat on another social platform I just mean a discussion here☺️
Original post by Kat2003
Hi, I’m a Scottish school leaver, also from Glasgow. I’m still waiting to hear back from one of my choices but I’m pretty sure I’m going to firm Dundee. I’m pretty conflicted over what accommodation to choose since I’ll be moving out. You got any idea of what accommodation seems the best?

Oh I honestly can’t comment on student accommodation as I stayed at home during my first degree and will be looking at private housing if I do go with Dundee. Did you watch the live event for Dundee where they discussed the different accommodations? I’ll attach the link incase you want to watch later.
Can I ask what your other choices are and how you came to choose Dundee as your firm?☺️

https://www.dundee.ac.uk/applicants/student-life
Hello! I am a Scottish graduate, currently living in Glasgow and considering my offer to study medicine at Dundee. I was absolutely overwhelmed when I got my offers (Dundee, Edinburgh and St. Andrews) and admittedly gutted when I got the rejection from Glasgow. Buuut hey ho! I’m wondering if there are others who have firmed Dundee or like me are considering it and are up for starting a chat? 😊 hope everyone is well! If you didn’t get in this year don’t be too disappointed, just pick yourself up and try again, just get plenty work experience and don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty haha. This was my second try.

Hey!! I am a Scottish school leaver definitely considering Dundee (probably 1st choice) but I haven’t heard from Glasgow yet. When Did you get her rejected and was it a post interview rejection? I hope it all goes well for you!!
Original post by Trigonometric123
Hey!! I am a Scottish school leaver definitely considering Dundee (probably 1st choice) but I haven’t heard from Glasgow yet. When Did you get her rejected and was it a post interview rejection? I hope it all goes well for you!!

Hello! Ah great, are you local or will you be moving? I had my interview for Glasgow on December 17th and got my ucas notification of rejection on Friday there (26th March). Thank you and same to you!😁
Oh I honestly can’t comment on student accommodation as I stayed at home during my first degree and will be looking at private housing if I do go with Dundee. Did you watch the live event for Dundee where they discussed the different accommodations? I’ll attach the link incase you want to watch later.
Can I ask what your other choices are and how you came to choose Dundee as your firm?☺️

https://www.dundee.ac.uk/applicants/student-life

Hey im considering private housing as well since im a graduate. Have you looked at any options yet?
Original post by star77
Hey im considering private housing as well since im a graduate. Have you looked at any options yet?

Hello! I haven’t done a deep search yet and my partner just keeps sending me big fancy houses which are attainable only if we win the lottery🤣 so I’ll be looking into it tonight. I did see briefly though that a lot of flats that are more less tailored towards students were working at about £4/500 a month per person when sharing with others so pretty pricy.
Have you firmed Dundee?
Hello! I haven’t done a deep search yet and my partner just keeps sending me big fancy houses which are attainable only if we win the lottery🤣 so I’ll be looking into it tonight. I did see briefly though that a lot of flats that are more less tailored towards students were working at about £4/500 a month per person when sharing with others so pretty pricy.
Have you firmed Dundee?

Hahahah, I think you will be able to find something in your budget since I heard housing is very cheap in dundee. Yeah i think im mostly firming dundee :smile:. Wbu? I looked at a studio in campus apartments and the old mill. Both look really good however a little far from the medical school. Cant seem to find any 1 bedroom flats closer.
Original post by star77
Hahahah, I think you will be able to find something in your budget since I heard housing is very cheap in dundee. Yeah i think im mostly firming dundee :smile:. Wbu? I looked at a studio in campus apartments and the old mill. Both look really good however a little far from the medical school. Cant seem to find any 1 bedroom flats closer.

Yeah I think we should be alright on that front☺️ well I’m between Dundee and Edinburgh however I much prefer the teaching style and vibes of Dundee not to mention it’s the reportedly best medical school and Edinburgh maybe too research focused for me. Edinburgh on the other hand may allow me to stay in Glasgow still and commute but just not sure how feasible that would be....
Yeah I think we should be alright on that front☺️ well I’m between Dundee and Edinburgh however I much prefer the teaching style and vibes of Dundee not to mention it’s the reportedly best medical school and Edinburgh maybe too research focused for me. Edinburgh on the other hand may allow me to stay in Glasgow still and commute but just not sure how feasible that would be....

Congrats on getting two offers! Yeah Dundee is an integrated course with some CBL. The school seems to be very supportive and the cohort also seems to be very close. Edinburgh is also a very good school tbh and yeah I heard they were more research focused. However, defo more traditional - could be similar to Oxford/Cambridge in their approach to medicine. I personally think Dundee has more of the "cozy" vibes if you get me and Edinburgh is more "institutional". ooh im not too sure how hard/easy that would be as I havent been to Scotland. At the end of the day, I guess you should be happy in the med school you pick. Obv even if one is more convienent, you shouldnt feel like you made the decision solely on convience. If you can afford it and think Dundee is a better fit for you (medschool wise) then maybe moving isnt a big issue? Sometimes your gut feeling really helps - Im sure whereever you go, you will be a great doc :smile:
Original post by star77
Congrats on getting two offers! Yeah Dundee is an integrated course with some CBL. The school seems to be very supportive and the cohort also seems to be very close. Edinburgh is also a very good school tbh and yeah I heard they were more research focused. However, defo more traditional - could be similar to Oxford/Cambridge in their approach to medicine. I personally think Dundee has more of the "cozy" vibes if you get me and Edinburgh is more "institutional". ooh im not too sure how hard/easy that would be as I havent been to Scotland. At the end of the day, I guess you should be happy in the med school you pick. Obv even if one is more convienent, you shouldnt feel like you made the decision solely on convience. If you can afford it and think Dundee is a better fit for you (medschool wise) then maybe moving isnt a big issue? Sometimes your gut feeling really helps - Im sure whereever you go, you will be a great doc :smile:

Thank you, I surprisingly got an offer from St. Andrews too but it’s out the running for me because it’s just a bit too out the way for me and the split years with the second half spent moving about isn’t for me. Yes I would totally agree and if honest I’m not sure that style really produces the best doctors. Yeah you’re right, the more I’m writing on this I’m convincing myself that Dundee is a better fit for me (I think) it’s just I’m so family orientated that moving away is a big thing but I know it’s not forever and it’s always said to be good to live and experience somewhere else for a while. That’s really nice of you to say thank you, I have all the faith you will too! Where is it you are from and what other places are you maybe considering? Feel free to PM me if easier.
Hello! Ah great, are you local or will you be moving? I had my interview for Glasgow on December 17th and got my ucas notification of rejection on Friday there (26th March). Thank you and same to you!😁

Yeh so I have now received my offer for Glasgow!! 🎉🎉 and I am local to Glasgow. I am however still really considering Dundee.
Thank you, I surprisingly got an offer from St. Andrews too but it’s out the running for me because it’s just a bit too out the way for me and the split years with the second half spent moving about isn’t for me. Yes I would totally agree and if honest I’m not sure that style really produces the best doctors. Yeah you’re right, the more I’m writing on this I’m convincing myself that Dundee is a better fit for me (I think) it’s just I’m so family orientated that moving away is a big thing but I know it’s not forever and it’s always said to be good to live and experience somewhere else for a while. That’s really nice of you to say thank you, I have all the faith you will too! Where is it you are from and what other places are you maybe considering? Feel free to PM me if easier.

I’m totally the same family wise. I’m a school leaver so I’ve never lived anywhere else and I can’t decide whether or not to stay in halls or just at home, I’d probably rather stay at home but halls is the best way to make friends with people from loads of different courses. But yeh I get the thing about moving away from family
Anyone know how lenient is the university in terms of meeting conditions? Are they very strict on it being AAA or is anything near an AAB fine? My school’s really mismanaged at the moment and we are having mocks like 2 weeks after finishing the syllabi, so I’m not sure how well I will be doing in them and thus I don’t know what I will be getting in my final grades.
Hello, this is for the people who firmed Dundee. Did anyone get any confirmation email or anything at all from Dundee after accepting their offer? Its been around 2 weeks and I haven't had an official confirmation. Also, how will I have to meet the health and PVG checks? (unconditional)

Many thanks
I'm pretty sure that when i firmed dundee last year that they did give me confirmation email on you applicant email./ evision account. In terms of pvg etc i asked them a while ago and they said they they would contact me nearer the time of starting to sort out that dtuff.
Reply 56
Hi! Does anyone know when the applications for student accommodation start? I am trying to pick between Glasgow and Dundee but haven't made my mind up yet and I don't want to be too late and miss the deadline. Thanks 😊
Also another question: does anyone who is applying for accommodation know whether it is better to live on campus or at the west park flats that are closer to the hospital if you are a medical student?
Original post by M.J.Neeshwaz10
Hi! Does anyone know when the applications for student accommodation start? I am trying to pick between Glasgow and Dundee but haven't made my mind up yet and I don't want to be too late and miss the deadline. Thanks 😊
Also another question: does anyone who is applying for accommodation know whether it is better to live on campus or at the west park flats that are closer to the hospital if you are a medical student?

Applications open mid May for dundee, not sure about what accommodation is best as I’m also an applicant
Original post by M.J.Neeshwaz10

Hey! I think they open up in mid May for Dundee, Glasgow have already opened their student accommodation applications. I was trying to find girls that’d rather get a flat instead of student accommodation in Dundee since it’s quite pricey. I’m going to be in 1st year studying law
Reply 59
Original post by imogen08
Applications open mid May for dundee, not sure about what accommodation is best as I’m also an applicant

Original post by Zaraanwar31
Hey! I think they open up in mid May for Dundee, Glasgow have already opened their student accommodation applications. I was trying to find girls that’d rather get a flat instead of student accommodation in Dundee since it’s quite pricey. I’m going to be in 1st year studying law

Thanks! If I do eventually settle on Dundee (which I think is my preference at the moment) then I would definitely consider sharing a private flat to cut down on costs if you are interested (and I'm a girl btw) - because cost of moving away is one of the main factors I am considering. Would probably need to speak to my parents first though so can't say for certain. How many were you thinking of sharing with?

Latest

Trending

Trending