The Student Room Group

urgent!!!!! engery spring-Isaac Physics Question

A spring of natural length 30cm with spring constant 8.0Ncm−1
stretches by an 20%. Work out how much elastic potential energy is stored in the spring. Give your answer to 2 significant figures.

Hey guys i am stuck with this isaac question can someone please help
What have you tried, what equations do you know about springs & their potential energy?
Do you know the equation for the elastic potential energy? We can calculate the extension.
(edited 3 years ago)
Come on lad easy question you've got this.

EPE = 0.5 * spring constant * (extension)^2

Calculate the extension by doing 0.2 * 30, and convert the extension into metres.

You have the spring constant, but you must convert this into Nm^-1.

Hope that helped son :smile:
Original post by Driving_Mad

Calculate the extension by doing 0.2 * 30, and convert the extension into metres.

Thank you so much i forgot to convert from cm to m.
Much appreciated 😅🤣👌

Can you also lend a hand here please:

1-60J of work is done to stretch a spring with spring constant 7.5Ncm −1 from its natural length of 0.24m to some new length. Work out this new length.

2- A wire of natural length 50cm, diameter1.5mm and Young's modulus 3.2GPa is stretched to a new length of 52.4cm, which is below the limit of proportionality. How much work was done in order for this to happen?
Original post by future-doctor <3
Can you also lend a hand here please:

1-60J of work is done to stretch a spring with spring constant 7.5Ncm −1 from its natural length of 0.24m to some new length. Work out this new length.

2- A wire of natural length 50cm, diameter1.5mm and Young's modulus 3.2GPa is stretched to a new length of 52.4cm, which is below the limit of proportionality. How much work was done in order for this to happen?

1. Rearrange equation EPE = 0. 5 * spring constant * extension squared to make extension subject, converting all units to have metres in them.

2. Rearrange Young's modulus equation to make force the subject. Use the equation work done = 0.5 * force * extension to calculate work done.
1. Rearrange equation EPE = 0. 5 * spring constant * extension squared to make extension subject, converting all units to have metres in them.

2. Rearrange Young's modulus equation to make force the subject. Use the equation work done = 0.5 * force * extension to calculate work done.

i am still stuck at Q2 please help
Original post by future-doctor <3

Lol what have you done so far post your working
Original post by future-doctor &lt

Come on lad I only post here this much to the girl I like.

Rearrange Young’s modulus equation to make force the subject:
Force = (YM * c.s.a * extension) / original length

To calculate c.s.a make sure you convert the diameter to metres first. Convert length to metres too. Convert YM to Pascals by multiplying by 10^9. The extension in metres is difference between natural length and new length

I can’t do these things for you. Once you have done that do work done = 0.5 * force * extension

Quick Reply

Latest