The Student Room Group

What jobs do private school kids end up doing?

For people who have had experience with private school educated students, what kind of jobs do they end up doing? What jobs are regarded as being 'elite'?

Obviously being wealthy and going to private school give connections or connections from their parents to help you to get a good job. I only know a few private school students. Once of them has become a premiership rugby player, another is currently a paralegal. I think the jobs these kids end up doing is also quite situational (how much their parents push them, if they're relying on daddy's inheritance, if they can afford to pursue an unconventional career because of the safety net of their family wealth).

But what do the bog standard private school kids who have parents on a decent salary (not HUGE wealth and not that many connections) end up doing? Doctors, lawyers? I feel like there isn't that much money in those types of jobs anymore to be honest... Unless you work in those sectors until you're like 50.

Also, do some of them flunk and end up doing crap paying jobs? It's hard for me to imagine a child who was born into privilege end up having a poorer lifestyle than their parents... Does wealth keep accumulating? or do a lot of students don't have any ambition because they already know they're rich and end up just getting crap salary jobs? Hope this makes sense.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the individuals, their abilities and ambitions.
Often also their family traditions in relation to parenting styles, attitudes towards funding descendants education & living costs and amount of networking efforts to assist their children in obtaining secure or well paid employment.

My best friend works as a model.
Some friends who attended the same private schools have started their own businesses or joined their family firms.
While other friends work for: advertising & pr agencies, art galleries, bookshops, charities, the CoE, the foreign office, estate agencies, hedge funds, investment banks, legal firms, the nhs, photography studios, political parties, recruitment consultancies, wedding planners and vet practices.
Reply 2
Probably similar to the kinds of things university graduates go into.

Both my older siblings went to private school, one teaches Brazilian jiu jitsu, the other teaches maths. However I wouldn't describe my family as wealthy.
Reply 3
Original post by janijay
For people who have had experience with private school educated students, what kind of jobs do they end up doing? What jobs are regarded as being 'elite'?

Obviously being wealthy and going to private school give connections or connections from their parents to help you to get a good job. I only know a few private school students. Once of them has become a premiership rugby player, another is currently a paralegal. I think the jobs these kids end up doing is also quite situational (how much their parents push them, if they're relying on daddy's inheritance, if they can afford to pursue an unconventional career because of the safety net of their family wealth).

But what do the bog standard private school kids who have parents on a decent salary (not HUGE wealth and not that many connections) end up doing? Doctors, lawyers? I feel like there isn't that much money in those types of jobs anymore to be honest... Unless you work in those sectors until you're like 50.

Also, do some of them flunk and end up doing crap paying jobs? It's hard for me to imagine a child who was born into privilege end up having a poorer lifestyle than their parents... Does wealth keep accumulating? or do a lot of students don't have any ambition because they already know they're rich and end up just getting crap salary jobs? Hope this makes sense.

i currently go to one of the most expensive private schools in london and can tell you that a lot of them will end up as/already are crack dealers 👍
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
It depends on the individuals, their abilities and ambitions.
Often also their family traditions in relation to parenting styles, attitudes towards funding descendants education & living costs and amount of networking efforts to assist their children in obtaining secure or well paid employment.

My best friend works as a model.
Some friends who attended the same private schools have started their own businesses or joined their family firms.
While other friends work for: advertising & pr agencies, art galleries, bookshops, charities, the CoE, the foreign office, estate agencies, hedge funds, investment banks, legal firms, the nhs, photography studios, political parties, recruitment consultancies, wedding planners and vet practices.

I've seen a lot of private school students go into media, modelling, sports etc... things that many poorer students wouldn't have the funds to pursue. But for those working in bookshops and charities, when they become parents would they not be able to afford to send their own children to private school? I just find it interesting if they don't have the ambition to have a high salary and possibly send their own children to private school when they did and got all the opportunities private school provides...
Reply 5
Original post by Sinnoh
Probably similar to the kinds of things university graduates go into.

Both my older siblings went to private school, one teaches Brazilian jiu jitsu, the other teaches maths. However I wouldn't describe my family as wealthy.

Yes, although I think a lot of private school students do have access opportunities and connections that state school graduates don't? Would your brothers send their children (if they have or will have any) to private school?
Reply 6
Original post by janijay
Yes, although I think a lot of private school students do have access opportunities and connections that state school graduates don't? Would your brothers send their children (if they have or will have any) to private school?

I doubt it
Reply 7
Original post by zarayx
i currently go to one of the most expensive private schools in london and can tell you that a lot of them will end up as/already are crack dealers 👍

Lol yikes. I'm taking this as slight sarcasm, although I have heard stories... This is one of the types of private school students that interests me. Do you think they think because they are so wealthy they are 'untouchable' if they get caught?
Original post by janijay

lol people who go to private schools aren't THAT wealthy.
One of my friends goes to Eton and he's the only person I know I'd describe as wealthy lmao. For your interest, his parents run a business. And he's planning on studying chemistry at uni next year, and wants to become a teacher :/
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by janijay
I've seen a lot of private school students go into media, modelling, sports etc... things that many poorer students wouldn't have the funds to pursue. But for those working in bookshops and charities, when they become parents would they not be able to afford to send their own children to private school? I just find it interesting if they don't have the ambition to have a high salary and possibly send their own children to private school when they did and got all the opportunities private school provides...

Some of the friends working for bookshops or charities were on fully funded scholarships, had their fees paid by grandparents or out of family trusts.
A few detested their school years and have decide that their future children will be homeschooled or educated outside the private school system.
Original post by janijay

Toilet cleaner.

Seriously though, I know some rich kids who end up as secretaries or personal assistants because they don’t need a high paying job and didn’t bother to apply themselves in school, even with all that extra private tuition. I always think what a waste (of an opportunity) that is when a poorer, more driven student could’ve achieved so much more.
Probably end up getting a life peerage or end up inheriting one...

Spoiler

Reply 12
Private schools generally educate the people attending them that they can do anything they want...as long as it’s a lawyer or a doctor!

My experience was generally that they emphasised these careers to the exclusion of a lot of others which don’t necessarily pay as well but which are often related or almost equally academically demanding in terms of entry. No one ever put things in front of me like the allied health professions (except perhaps clinical psychologist). If you weren’t going to do medicine then other vocational careers may as well not exist. You were otherwise encouraged to go into the core academic degrees at top 20 universities with the notion that a “good degree from a good university will open doors for you” without really explaining how that worked. I graduated when the recession of 2009 was just about to bite so god knows I was ill prepared.

But generally people at my school and my school’s group tend to do well in a varied range of jobs and sectors, according to our alumni newsletter anyway. Often jobs without a fixed career path as well so I get the sense that maybe it’s university and beyond that makes them what they are. Private schools do one thing well, in my experience, and that’s to instil confidence in the people they educate at a time when they need it most. And a sense that they are capable.
Original post by Iasona
Toilet cleaner.

Seriously though, I know some rich kids who end up as secretaries or personal assistants because they don’t need a high paying job and didn’t bother to apply themselves in school, even with all that extra private tuition. I always think what a waste (of an opportunity) that is when a poorer, more driven student could’ve achieved so much more.

I guess that's what grammar schools are for, right?
Original post by Qxi.xli
I guess that's what grammar schools are for, right?

I went to a grammar school but it was like 800k in debt lol. I did try and make the most out of it though
Original post by Iasona
I went to a grammar school but it was like 800k in debt lol. I did try and make the most out of it though

Wait wdum lol grammar schools are free
Original post by Qxi.xli
Wait wdum lol grammar schools are free

Yeah but the school itself was in debt due to receiving less money from the government. Dk why
Original post by janijay

It would appear you don't know private school people and have very skewed perceptions about them.

Yes, both my sons went to private schools. They got there via bursaries (at their primary school, they were on free school meals). I went to comprehensive school, then private school for sixth form.

Both boys ended up at Oxford. Only about 3 other people got in per year. To get in, they had to absolutely work their way into the ground. The ones at the same school, who were as bright, but didn't put that extra effort in, did not get places.

The younger one (medic) is the most driven person I know. Even over Easter he is doing Covid research and writing a paper for publication. He never stops. A private school education is only the starting point. How you get on after that is up to you.

The elder one ended up in a travel company where the pay was below average. All the time he longed to earn more, so in the evening he did an online course to be a ship broker, which he funded from his earnings. There were also networking events that many ship brokers attended and he went along to, to chat about ships and also to get plenty of advice. He would talk to ship brokers via linked in and cold approach ship broking companies. All this effort has absolutely nothing to do with private school, Oxford, or "connections". He makes his own connections.

Most kids at private school were quite bright and had good tuition. They worked hard and got in to all kinds of universities. For most of them, the "connections" aspect did not work, because the kids ended up in different fields to their parents. No "privileged" parent at the school was dishing out jobs to other pupils like smarties. Some went straight into jobs. I know one person, in all that time, who got into a job through "daddy's connections" and that was at my brother's school in the 1980s.

One guy at the private school was not all that bright, but very good at woodwork. He ended up as a successful furniture maker. On the other hand, I also went to what was, at the time, the worst comprehensive school in the county. From the comprehensive, one guy emigrated to Australia and became a millionaire. Another founded a successful business and is very wealthy. Another became a highly paid engineer in Saudi Arabia. Others were equally as successful. Life is what you make it, as they say.

As for being models or footballers from private school, this is one area where you do not need the bank of Mum and Dad. Any person who is good looking can go to a modelling agency with a portfolio, or even be discovered in the street by a scout. Do you think the scout asked Jerry Hall or Kate Moss "I'll only accept you if you go to private school?"

If you want to be a footballer, you need to join maybe the school club, or a local football club, and find out about training academies. Where do you need private school to do that?

I don't know anyone from my, or the children's private schools who became a footballer, sportsperson, or a model.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by janijay
Lol yikes. I'm taking this as slight sarcasm, although I have heard stories... This is one of the types of private school students that interests me. Do you think they think because they are so wealthy they are 'untouchable' if they get caught?

haha, it’s not sarcasm. a lot of them are addicted to ket or meth or alcoholics. it’s because their parents live that kind of lifestyle too, often taking coke in their own houses - because they can afford it.
Original post by Oxford Mum
This post is absolutely dripping with envy and bitterness. It would appear you don't know private school people and have very skewed perceptions about them.

Yes, both my sons went to private schools. They got there via bursaries (at their primary school, they were on free school meals). I went to comprehensive school, then private school for sixth form.

Both boys ended up at Oxford. Only about 3 other people got in per year. To get in, they had to absolutely work their way into the ground. The ones at the same school, who were as bright, but didn't put that extra effort in, did not get places.

The younger one (medic) is the most driven person I know. Even over Easter he is doing Covid research and writing a paper for publication. He never stops. A private school education is only the starting point. How you get on after that is up to you.

The elder one ended up in a travel company where the pay was below average. All the time he longed to earn more, so in the evening he did an online course to be a ship broker, which he funded from his earnings. There were also networking events that many ship brokers attended and he went along to, to chat about ships and also to get plenty of advice. He would talk to ship brokers via linked in and cold approach ship broking companies. All this effort has absolutely nothing to do with private school, Oxford, or "connections". He makes his own connections.

Most kids at private school were quite bright and had good tuition. They worked hard and got in to all kinds of universities. For most of them, the "connections" aspect did not work, because the kids ended up in different fields to their parents. No "privileged" parent at the school was dishing out jobs to other pupils like smarties. Some went straight into jobs. I know one person, in all that time, who got into a job through "daddy's connections" and that was at my brother's school in the 1980s.

One guy at the private school was not all that bright, but very good at woodwork. He ended up as a successful furniture maker. On the other hand, I also went to what was, at the time, the worst comprehensive school in the county. From the comprehensive, one guy emigrated to Australia and became a millionaire. Another founded a successful business and is very wealthy. Another became a highly paid engineer in Saudi Arabia. Others were equally as successful. Life is what you make it, as they say.

As for being models or footballers from private school, this is one area where you do not need the bank of Mum and Dad. Any person who is good looking can go to a modelling agency with a portfolio, or even be discovered in the street by a scout. Do you think the scout asked Jerry Hall or Kate Moss "I'll only accept you if you go to private school?"

If you want to be a footballer, you need to join maybe the school club, or a local football club, and find out about training academies. Where do you need private school to do that?

I don't know anyone from my, or the children's private schools who became a footballer, sportsperson, or a model.

I don't think anybody on this forum is envious of you or your children. Of course, those who come from more humble backgrounds will no doubt be more driven and make the most of a private education. However, I know plenty of people where I live who went to private schools and spent much of their time partying and not taking anything seriously since they know they have their parents' wealth to fall back on. Just from looking on Linkedin, many also have very sub-par GCSE/A level grades yet get internships in parliament, investment banking firms, consulting companies...nobody is saying that represents the experience of every privately educated kid but it certainly represents the mindset and advantage of a good proportion of the elite and super wealthy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending