The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level music essay

Hey guys!

I am aware that this is quite a niche question but does anyone have any advice on how to write a good 30 mark essay in the appraising section of the exam,

particularly on what to include in an introduction, forming an argument and making sophisticated wider listening links

any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by JessD3333
Hey guys!

I am aware that this is quite a niche question but does anyone have any advice on how to write a good 30 mark essay in the appraising section of the exam,

particularly on what to include in an introduction, forming an argument and making sophisticated wider listening links

any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Hi :smile: I do edexcel A level music, here are some tips that mya help you when writing the essays:

- write an introduction which contextualises the composer and that work. You can talk about the period in which they composed their piece, the genre, similar composers, who inspired them, who they inspired, their main pieces, and why they composed that piece
- for every point you make in the paragraphs about the music elements, you have to include descriptive adjectives, context, and wider listening.
- split the paragraphs up according to the music elements. E.g. one paragraph for rhythm, tempo and metre, one paragraph for melody
- you don't need a conclusion as it's not an analytical essay, therefore you don't need a line of argument. In these types of essays, you're describing the music and showing your understanding of key terms, but there is no debate question.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nnth
Hi :smile: I do edexcel A level music, here are some tips that mya help you when writing the essays:

- write an introduction which contextualises the composer and that work. You can talk about the period in which they composed their piece, the genre, similar composers, who inspired them, who they inspired, their main pieces, and why they composed that piece
- for every point you make in the paragraphs about the music elements, you have to include descriptive adjectives, context, and wider listening.
- split the paragraphs up according to the music elements. E.g. one paragraph for rhythm, tempo and metre, one paragraph for melody
- you don't need a conclusion as it's not an analytical essay, therefore you don't need a line of argument. In these types of essays, you're describing the music and showing your understanding of key terms, but there is no debate question.

thank you so much!
Reply 3
Original post by JessD3333
thank you so much!

you're welcome :biggrin:
Thank you nnth, this post is really helpful as I am doing music at a level and I am finding the essays really hard. Would it be possible if you post an essay example that got you close to 30 marks? Even the Edexcel examples don't give model responses and I really want to know what I am doing wrong. I appreciate you posted this a year ago but it's with a shot!
Exactly my situation. Us A Level music students aren't really given many resources, just left in the dark lol.

Quick Reply

Latest