The Student Room Group

SKE for MFL in 2021

Hi there

I want to apply to do MFL PGCE through Schools Direct but only know French. However it’s been a while since I used it and I’d like to do SKE in french to remember it better.. They also normally ask for a second language which I don’t have so my question is - has anyone done 2 SKE courses and were accepted on a course or would they only allow you to do 1 SKE during summer ( for me it would be both French and Spanish ).
Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi @DJojo

At the present time, it is highly unlikely that you will be offered an SKE in 2 languages. An SKE course is ordinarily made as a condition of an offer of a place by a training provider. If it is made a condition of an offer of a place on a teacher training course, then you may complete a SKE course that does not require you to pay fees for and you would also receive a bursary of £175 per week for the length of the SKE course. (In a target language that the provider specifies). I would suggest that you work independently prior to applying to brush up on your French and begin to learn Spanish. This shows that you are willing to put the effort in, and if offered, the provider will specify which language the SKE will be in.

This bursary is tax free and you would not repay that for any reason. Your Teacher Training course provider also ought to specify the length of course you need to complete. This can be between 8 - 28 weeks. If this overlaps your teacher training course, then your bursary for the SKE would cease and your Teacher Training one would take over.

If you need any support with your application or further advice, please do not hesitate to seek the help of a Teacher Training Adviser. You may register for one here or please call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Best of luck,

Sue
Reply 2
Thank you so much for taking time to reply - I appreciate it.

Original post by Get into Teaching
Hi @DJojo

At the present time, it is highly unlikely that you will be offered an SKE in 2 languages. An SKE course is ordinarily made as a condition of an offer of a place by a training provider. If it is made a condition of an offer of a place on a teacher training course, then you may complete a SKE course that does not require you to pay fees for and you would also receive a bursary of £175 per week for the length of the SKE course. (In a target language that the provider specifies). I would suggest that you work independently prior to applying to brush up on your French and begin to learn Spanish. This shows that you are willing to put the effort in, and if offered, the provider will specify which language the SKE will be in.

This bursary is tax free and you would not repay that for any reason. Your Teacher Training course provider also ought to specify the length of course you need to complete. This can be between 8 - 28 weeks. If this overlaps your teacher training course, then your bursary for the SKE would cease and your Teacher Training one would take over.

If you need any support with your application or further advice, please do not hesitate to seek the help of a Teacher Training Adviser. You may register for one here or please call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Best of luck,

Sue

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate you taking time to explain how it all works.
Original post by DJojo
Thank you so much for taking time to reply - I appreciate it.

You are very welcome.

Sue

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending