The Student Room Group

Life after pre-registration pharmacy

Are you guaranteed to get a job after you complete your pre-registration year? Is it more likely if you complete your pre-reg year in hospital or do you still have to apply for the job after you qualify?
Reply 1
^^
Pharmacy is one of the few healthcare professions were there is currently 100% employment rate. It has even been included in the shortage occupation list. Too many jobs going after too few pharmacists.
Reply 3
Original post by Claremont4ever
Pharmacy is one of the few healthcare professions were there is currently 100% employment rate. It has even been included in the shortage occupation list. Too many jobs going after too few pharmacists.

Sorry, that doesn't answer my question seeing as I know not all pre-regs are retained by their place of work
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by op78
Are you guaranteed to get a job after you complete your pre-registration year? Is it more likely if you complete your pre-reg year in hospital or do you still have to apply for the job after you qualify?

Unfortunately after your pre-reg training, you still have to apply for the job whether it’s hospital or community. The only job you can do without “applying” would be locum pharmacist in community where you “apply” for shifts by contacting the pharmacy yourself or by using locum agency companies such as Locate a Locum or Clarity (for Ireland/Northern Ireland). In terms of completing your pre reg in hospital, you still have to apply for band 6 hospital pharmacist post after qualifying. As for community for full time jobs you will have to apply like you applied for your pre-reg training, unless your manager/tutor offered you a job but that is not guaranteed with every employer. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Happylaalaa
Unfortunately after your pre-reg training, you still have to apply for the job whether it’s hospital or community. The only job you can do without “applying” would be locum pharmacist in community where you “apply” for shifts by contacting the pharmacy yourself or by using locum agency companies such as Locate a Locum or Clarity (for Ireland/Northern Ireland). In terms of completing your pre reg in hospital, you still have to apply for band 6 hospital pharmacist post after qualifying. As for community for full time jobs you will have to apply like you applied for your pre-reg training, unless your manager/tutor offered you a job but that is not guaranteed with every employer. Hope this helps :smile:

Ah I see! Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Hi, your question is probably already answered but I thought I would chip in with my current experience. I applied to a job with my pre reg employer and was brutally interviewed for over an hour... seemed pointless as I literally knew the interviewer but still did it anyway. So far I've only heard of a few people get the job from 70 applicants (I have been offered one thankfully). So no, you are not guaranteed a job with the company you work!
Reply 7
Original post by JS98
Hi, your question is probably already answered but I thought I would chip in with my current experience. I applied to a job with my pre reg employer and was brutally interviewed for over an hour... seemed pointless as I literally knew the interviewer but still did it anyway. So far I've only heard of a few people get the job from 70 applicants (I have been offered one thankfully). So no, you are not guaranteed a job with the company you work!

Thanks for your insight! Do you mind me asking if this was community or hospital? (or other)
Reply 8
Original post by op78
Thanks for your insight! Do you mind me asking if this was community or hospital? (or other)

Community pharmacy, but I say I have only "heard" of a few meaning there could be more people with jobs. I can say I do know of people who have not been offered a contract however
it's not guaranteed to keep your job after you qualify, as others have mentioned.

That being said I had a positive experience in community. I was offered a job at my place of pre-reg but found work at other community pharmacies readily after I qualified. That was all with independent pharmacies.

You may find the application process more gruelling at bigger companies. If that fails try some local independents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending