The Student Room Group

GCSE History

Hi, so I have picked GCSE History and this is what we are going to learn about AQA: (IM IN YEAR 9)

Paper 1: Understanding the modern World
- America Oppurtunity and Inequality 1920-1973
-Conflict and tension, the interwar years 1919-1939

Paper 2: Shaping the nation
- Health and the People : 1000 to the present day
-Elizabethan England 1568-1603

Can someone please tell me all the tips, advice, but lots of websites for me to do good in GCSE History, lots of grade 8,9 students told me to start making my notes now so I am going to start tomorrow, I am really new to GCSE AQA History can someone please help me by giving me advice on how to get a Grade 9

I do not get exam questions structure for the high markers can someone help me with that too

Scroll to see replies

Hello- I got a grade 9 a few years ago and thought I could offer some advice! I would really recommend the CGP revision guides, I think one book covers a selection of topics but they are worth it and it makes sure you only know the really important info! In history there’s always so much stats or key figures that I found it really helpful to make sure I was focusing on the things I knew the exam would be asking me. For gcse especially they’re not looking for knowledge beyond the spec, just that you know what they’re asking. When I did my GCSEs I had a mini booklet my teacher put together to memorise the structure of each question- as each is slightly different. However there are loads of gcse help videos online explaining structure of each question in each paper and you could make your own easily enough based on those! But that’s what I did from February onwards in year 11 when I was doing my full revision timetable- I would say as you’re still in Year 9 just make sure you’re understanding the content you’re doing so far and worry about exam technique later. The content needs to be in long term memory whereas the exam technique can be short term! Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by thaneofross
Hello- I got a grade 9 a few years ago and thought I could offer some advice! I would really recommend the CGP revision guides, I think one book covers a selection of topics but they are worth it and it makes sure you only know the really important info! In history there’s always so much stats or key figures that I found it really helpful to make sure I was focusing on the things I knew the exam would be asking me. For gcse especially they’re not looking for knowledge beyond the spec, just that you know what they’re asking. When I did my GCSEs I had a mini booklet my teacher put together to memorise the structure of each question- as each is slightly different. However there are loads of gcse help videos online explaining structure of each question in each paper and you could make your own easily enough based on those! But that’s what I did from February onwards in year 11 when I was doing my full revision timetable- I would say as you’re still in Year 9 just make sure you’re understanding the content you’re doing so far and worry about exam technique later. The content needs to be in long term memory whereas the exam technique can be short term! Hope that helps :smile:

thank you
The website Seneca Learning is a really good way to test your knowledge on topics besides answering essay questions (though these are the best way to improve as the structure is always the same). It's free and has a lot of the different GCSE modules and exam boards - give it a try! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by og-icon
Hi, so I have picked GCSE History and this is what we are going to learn about AQA: (IM IN YEAR 9)

Can someone please tell me all the tips, advice, but lots of websites for me to do good in GCSE History, lots of grade 8,9 students told me to start making my notes now so I am going to start tomorrow, I am really new to GCSE AQA History can someone please help me by giving me advice on how to get a Grade 9

I do not get exam questions structure for the high markers can someone help me with that too

You're in year 9?? I mean it's great that you want to start so early and if you really want to, go for it. But to be honest with you, you really don't. So many people I know started sometime in the middle of year 10 or the end of year 10 and got all 9s. Honestly starting this early may overwork yourself and make it harder later on. Some schools don't even start the content until the start of year 10. I mean I'm in year 10 right now and hardly anyone has started aha (that too being a grammar school). But if you still really want to one of the most helpful books are 'understanding the modern world' by David Ferribly, Dave Martin and Ben Walsh. The cover is green with a picture on it and it says AQA GCSE history in an orange circle on the book. CGP is really good too, however, my teacher said that's not as good for history as it is for the sciences but I don't know for sure (I still find it pretty useful). good luckkk
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by og-icon

AQA GCSE History Revision Guides:

conflict and tension:
https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/AssetsLibrary/SECTORS/Secondary/d2l-digital-samples/aqa-gcse-history/revise-aqa-gcse-history-conflict-and-tension-1918-1939-rg-and-wb.pdf

democracy and dictatorship:
https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/AssetsLibrary/SECTORS/Secondary/d2l-digital-samples/aqa-gcse-history/revise-aqa-gcse-history-german-1890-1945-democracy-and-dictatorship-rg-and-wb.pdf

America, expansion and consolidation:
https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/AssetsLibrary/SECTORS/Secondary/d2l-digital-samples/aqa-gcse-history/revise-aqa-gcse-history-america-1840-1895-expansion-and-consolidation-rg-and-wb.pdf

Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by _lolz
You're in year 9?? I mean it's great that you want to start so early and if you really want to, go for it. But to be honest with you, you really don't. So many people I know started sometime in the middle of year 10 or the end of year 10 and got all 9s. Honestly starting this early may overwork yourself and make it harder later on. Some schools don't even start the content until the start of year 10. I mean I'm in year 10 right now and hardly anyone has started aha (that too being a grammar school). But if you still really want to one of the most helpful books are 'understanding the modern world' by David Ferribly, Dave Martin and Ben Walsh. The cover is green with a picture on it and it says AQA GCSE history in an orange circle on the book. CGP is really good too, however, my teacher said that's not as good for history as it is for the sciences but I don't know for sure (I still find it pretty useful). good luckkk

Thank you, lots of students told me in my previous questions to start making posters on topic e.g. we are learning about the cold war right now and we have done Yalta conference so make poster on that, and lots of them told me that start early so you have everything ready, my teacher gave me the understanding the modern world green book online so I can view the whole of the cold war section
Heyyy, I might be able to help lmao, i'm on a grade 9 in History and i'm in year 11 my teachers have told me they're fully confident I would be able to achieve that in the exams (if they had taken place). In year 9/10, I didn't take subjects seriously let alone history, enjoy and learn about it rn don't stress about revising. In year 11/10, I recommend looking at past papers and making flashcards or perhaps posters to help you learn information as you WILL need a good memory for history.

Question one is based on interpretations
you have to explain the difference between 2 interpretations
how convincing they are
which one is most convincing

think about content, provenance and contextual knowledge for these questions

The other ones are basically based on contextual knowledge hence you need a good memory and have to be able to learn things fast.

I did all of this and got a 9 in my school mock for history!

if you need any help you can pm me anytime :smile: !!
Reply 9
Original post by theoneyoulove
Heyyy, I might be able to help lmao, i'm on a grade 9 in History and i'm in year 11 my teachers have told me they're fully confident I would be able to achieve that in the exams (if they had taken place). In year 9/10, I didn't take subjects seriously let alone history, enjoy and learn about it rn don't stress about revising. In year 11/10, I recommend looking at past papers and making flashcards or perhaps posters to help you learn information as you WILL need a good memory for history.

Question one is based on interpretations
you have to explain the difference between 2 interpretations
how convincing they are
which one is most convincing

think about content, provenance and contextual knowledge for these questions
The other ones are basically based on contextual knowledge hence you need a good memory and have to be able to learn things fast.

I did all of this and got a 9 in my school mock for history!

if you need any help you can pm me anytime :smile: !!

Thank you so much, did you do GCSE AQA History?
Medicine through time was a pain..I’d recommend making good understandable notes for that topic. It’s quite a hefty too so make sure you understand everything as you go along.
Original post by og-icon
Thank you so much, did you do GCSE AQA History?

yeah i do it's really interesting!
Reply 16
Original post by _lolz
ur literally the best omg tysmmm. have great lifeee

you're welcome :smile::smile:
Reply 17
Original post by srjswnk
you're welcome :smile::smile:

i finished revising and memorising the content from the Germany one you sent but when I went to the conflict and tension I realised it was the wrong one, my bad I should have specified sorry. Instead of that one could you please send Conflict and Tension (east and west), if you have it. tysmm (:
Reply 18
Original post by _lolz
i finished revising and memorising the content from the Germany one you sent but when I went to the conflict and tension I realised it was the wrong one, my bad I should have specified sorry. Instead of that one could you please send Conflict and Tension (east and west), if you have it. tysmm (:

is this the right one?
https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/AssetsLibrary/SECTORS/Secondary/d2l-digital-samples/aqa-gcse-history/revise-aqa-gcse-history-conflict-and-tension-between-east-and-west-1945-1972-rg-and-wb.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest