The Student Room Group

Death penalty

Should it be reintroduced? Priti Patel has previously advocated for it and the UK is one of the only societies in Europe with majority support for it. I could see it happening now with Brexit and all.

Scroll to see replies

I would support the reintroduction of capital punishment, but I'm pretty sure it's a minority position. On what basis do you say that there is majority support for it in the UK?
It should not be reintroduced.
Original post by -Imperator-
I would support the reintroduction of capital punishment, but I'm pretty sure it's a minority position. On what basis do you say that there is majority support for it in the UK?

Just saw an article about it that the uk public has ‘abnormally’ high support for the death penalty compared to other European countries. Maybe it’s because it was abolished in the uk pretty early compared to most of them, but it’s interesting. Here’s the link:

https://www.varsity.co.uk/opinion/20400
No.
Original post by londonmyst
No.

I agree, but I was wondering about the likelihood given the current Home Secretary and her opinions
Yep. Hanging or firing squad for nonces and murderers.
I don't think so, although introduction of it for would be popular for serial criminals, repeat murderers, etc. However in reality it doesn't work.

I would support a return to light corporal punishment for discipline as since its abolishment the results are not positive. However I don't think either are likely to happen.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Iasona
I agree, but I was wondering about the likelihood given the current Home Secretary and her opinions

I doubt that any front bench politician would dare risk lobbying for that referendum. :biggrin:
Although I do believe that 'life should mean life' and that far too many predatory felons & habitual criminals have received appallingly lenient criminal sentences.
Original post by Burton Bridge
I don't think so, although introduction of it for would be popular for serial criminals, repeat murderers, etc. However in reality it doesn't work.

I would support a return to light capital punishment fir discipline as since its abolishment the results are not positive. However I don't think either are likely to happen.

Wtf is light capital punishment ? 🤣🤣🤣

Do you mean corporal punishment eg floggings?
Original post by londonmyst
I doubt that any front bench politician would dare risk lobbying for that referendum. :biggrin:
Although I do believe that 'life should mean life' and that far too many predatory felons & habitual criminals have received appallingly lenient criminal sentences.

Yes I definitely agree, life should actually mean life if they’ve done something so dreadful. Not these stupid 15 year sentences for murder etc. Acid throwing also had a jail term of only 2-4 years until recently
Original post by Starship Trooper
Wtf is light capital punishment ? 🤣🤣🤣

Do you mean corporal punishment eg floggings?

Doh!! 🤦🤦 Sorry mate

Of course I meant corporal punishment, but light certainly not flogging or caning :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Burton Bridge
Doh!! 🤦🤦 Sorry mate

Of course I meant corporal punishment, but light certainly not flogging or caning :biggrin:

No worries happens to the best of us 🙂

What's 'light' then and in what circumstances?

I'm also in favour of corporal punishment including flogging for petty crimes and also things Like putting people in stocks and getting pelted with vegetables for petty antisocial crimes like fraud etc

(Not In favour of burning people at the stake or chopping limbs off before some snowflake tries to be clever)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Iasona
Should it be reintroduced? Priti Patel has previously advocated for it and the UK is one of the only societies in Europe with majority support for it. I could see it happening now with Brexit and all.

Interestingly I started out supporting it when I first developed political interest but then moved to opposition for several years.

I have in recent years however returned to supporting capital punishment for serial murderers and those who commit treason (I include serial because it substantially decreases the chance of a wrong conviction - no smoke without fire).

Note that I would substantially expand the definition of treason against the state to include acts of terrorism and even joining high tier terror groups like ISIS. People like Shamima Begum should hang for their betrayal.
It will not happen. Parliament will never vote for it. Even when the IRA, INLA and other terrorist groups were killing large numbers, Parliament never came within 50 votes of supporting it.

I believe no justice system is perfect and would not want an innocent person to be hanged.
Original post by Rakas21
Interestingly I started out supporting it when I first developed political interest but then moved to opposition for several years.

I have in recent years however returned to supporting capital punishment for serial murderers and those who commit treason (I include serial because it substantially decreases the chance of a wrong conviction - no smoke without fire).

Note that I would substantially expand the definition of treason against the state to include acts of terrorism and even joining high tier terror groups like ISIS. People like Shamima Begum should hang for their betrayal.

Not so keen on your *treason* point esp if they haven't killed or directly harmed anyone.

For instance there are people on here who think Brexit is an act of treason and i'm sure there are plenty of legal professionals that would love to string Farage and Boris up...
Original post by Starship Trooper
Not so keen on your *treason* point esp if they haven't killed or directly harmed anyone.

For instance there are people on here who think Brexit is an act of treason and i'm sure there are plenty of legal professionals that would love to string Farage and Boris up...

Remoaners are not joining groups committing acts of terror against the state.

Note that with regards to membership treason would only be applied to terrorist groups which do commit acts of murder. Joining XR even if proscribed for acts of vandalism would not be viewed as a similar tier.
No. Justice is by its nature limited and flawed and you must allow for mistakes. Death penalties are final, nothing can be done to compensate someone in the very real case of a mistake by the jury, the police, etc.
Original post by Rakas21

Note that with regards to membership treason would only be applied to terrorist groups which do commit acts of murder. Joining XR even if proscribed for acts of vandalism would not be viewed as a similar tier.

Shamima Begum didn't commit murder though. I think I'd only support it if a murder had been committed and can be proven without doubt.
Original post by Rakas21

Ah, fair enough thanks for clarifying though I disagree that supporters of Isis should be executed I think.

By support I presume you mean actively providing support such as funds, not "merely" thinking ISIS was good or something?

Ideally they should be deported and frankly shouldn't have been let in in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest