The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Imperial College London MSc Statistics VS. LSE MSc Data Science

Hi everyone!

I am having a hard time deciding these two programs and wish to gain any insights from any perspective!

Main concern:
1. I am a Maths+stats undergraduate student, familiar with python and R, and LSE modules seem easy for at least the fall semester core modules (6 in total for the whole year). A bit afraid that I won't learn much new.

2. Wish to secure a job right after master's degree in London area (tech industry or quant), therefore would not want the workload to be too much that I can't find anytime for job hunting, which might ore might not be the case for Imperial, but definitely not for LSE as I've heard LSE data science is pretty chill.

Please give any thoughts you might have!!
Original post by dianaxu98edi
Hi everyone!

I am having a hard time deciding these two programs and wish to gain any insights from any perspective!

Main concern:
1. I am a Maths+stats undergraduate student, familiar with python and R, and LSE modules seem easy for at least the fall semester core modules (6 in total for the whole year). A bit afraid that I won't learn much new.

2. Wish to secure a job right after master's degree in London area (tech industry or quant), therefore would not want the workload to be too much that I can't find anytime for job hunting, which might ore might not be the case for Imperial, but definitely not for LSE as I've heard LSE data science is pretty chill.

You pretty much answered your own question/debate. Choose Imperial because they are the best at statistics in London. There’s no doubt the workload/stress in Imperial is high but they are a really good university. The environment is much much better because people are there for the passion they have for their subject. Imperial itself already holds much better prestige/reputation that LSE.

Basically, choose Imperial.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Anonymous
You pretty much answered your own question/debate. Choose Imperial because they are the best at statistics in London. There’s no doubt the workload/stress in Imperial is high but they are a really good university. The environment is much much better because people are there for the passion they have for their subject. Imperial itself already holds much better prestige/reputation that LSE.

Basically, choose Imperial.

Thank you for you insight! Do you think, then, with the high workload there is still time for job hunting? My only concern is that I won't have ANY time for it.
Thank you for you insight! Do you think, then, with the high workload there is still time for job hunting? My only concern is that I won't have ANY time for it.

Hmmm I think that you will have at least a small amount of time for it. By the time you get your master’s, you should be able to apply to any job and get in. Your only competition is people from
Oxbridge and maybe (just maybe) UCL.

Soo yeah choose imperial lol.

Btw this is coming from a person on a gap year who applied to Imperial Bsc Maths with stats and got rejected a few days ago (totally sad).

Instead, I’m going to do Bsc Stats in UCL. I also asked UCL if I could transfer to Bsc Maths and statistical science but honestly idk if I’ll be allowed. I also got an offer from LSE for financial maths and stats but I’m not taking that. I heard from multiple sources that environment wise, it’s not good.

I have experience from a bad environment in sixth form and trust me, the feeling isn’t great.

There may be an element of bias here due to my love of imperial but choose imperial.
Reply 4
Really? LSE will open so many doors for you. It's no easy call and I would not rate one over the other.
Hi everyone!

Main concern:

If you know LSE data science is chill and easier than Imperial, then so do the employers. If you want to work as a quant, it’s not going to be chill, so you’d best decide what goal you’re after
Reply 7
Hi everyone!

Main concern:

I sort of felt the same about the LSE program when I applied a few years ago. It is very generic and introductory and something that you could learn through free online courses. But then again, this is my personal opinion. Both Imperial and LSE are well known, and would help you get a job. Think you should go with Imperial, since they have a more rigorous program and better industry contacts.
Original post by LookAtHisEyes
If you know LSE data science is chill and easier than Imperial, then so do the employers. If you want to work as a quant, it’s not going to be chill, so you’d best decide what goal you’re after

Thank you! I have committed to Imperial stats!
Original post by suki.ai
I sort of felt the same about the LSE program when I applied a few years ago. It is very generic and introductory and something that you could learn through free online courses. But then again, this is my personal opinion. Both Imperial and LSE are well known, and would help you get a job. Think you should go with Imperial, since they have a more rigorous program and better industry contacts.

Yeah I agree. Maybe it is better for someone coming from an econ or econ+stats background. And so I have committed to Imperial stats! Thanks for the insights!
Is this post from you as well XD?

https://www.1point3acres.com/bbs/thread-741286-1-1.html

I have got these two offers too and still considering which one I shall pursue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending