The Student Room Group

Nottingham A101 2021 Offer Holders

Welcome to the University of Nottingham A101 GEM 2021 Offer Holders.

For general information click: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study/medicine/

Nottingham A100 / A108 (undergrad) 2021 Offer Holders: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6936604

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi everyone,

Congrats on getting an offer!

I realise no one will know for sure, but I wondered if anyone could give me an idea of likely weekly timetables? And specifically what is done online at the moment versus in person? (Perhaps anyone who started last year who is maybe still around here?)

I read someone mentioning in a previous year’s thread that even before COVID all lectures were available online and that only certain things are compulsory in person. So I’m wondering, does anyone have any information on what is ‘compulsory in person’ and what isn’t? Is this on the same days each week, or more random?

I’m asking because things are a bit complex at my end (a 15 month old daughter at home and a husband who works full time in London) so figuring out where we should base ourselves in the first two years isn’t simple.

Thanks so much!
Hey guys, we finally have our own thread now 😊 and congratulations 🎉🎉
Original post by Jeballa
Hi everyone,

I realise no one will know for sure, but I wondered if anyone could give me an idea of likely weekly timetables? And specifically what is done online at the moment versus in person? (Perhaps anyone who started last year who is maybe still around here?)

I read someone mentioning in a previous year’s thread that even before COVID all lectures were available online and that only certain things are compulsory in person. So I’m wondering, does anyone have any information on what is ‘compulsory in person’ and what isn’t? Is this on the same days each week, or more random?

I’m asking because things are a bit complex at my end (a 15 month old daughter at home and a husband who works full time in London) so figuring out where we should base ourselves in the first two years isn’t simple.

Thanks so much!

So, judging by how COVID is right now *hopefully* by the time of September most things will be in person. It's very difficult to predict though because there could be a random pesky strain appear in August or something similar, or PPE/vaccine shortages. I don't know how much the online situation right now would map on to the situation in september (ie post when we have herd immunity). As for what's compulsory, I know that SGUL has a minimum attendance of 80%, and I imagine Notts is similar, but as to specifically/what modules or areas I have no idea. Congrats to you btw I know it can be difficult juggling everything and have big respect!! :h:

Example weekly timetable (2020): https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Course/brochures/medicine-2020.pdf (on page 6)

@tinglybananaman love the username lmao

(Marking this page for later)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by auburnstar
So, judging by how COVID is right now *hopefully* by the time of September most things will be in person. It's very difficult to predict though because there could be a random pesky strain appear in August or something similar, or PPE/vaccine shortages. I don't know how much the online situation right now would map on to the situation in september (ie post when we have herd immunity). As for what's compulsory, I know that SGUL has a minimum attendance of 80%, and I imagine Notts is similar, but as to specifically/what modules or areas I have no idea. Congrats to you btw I know it can be difficult juggling everything and have big respect!! :h:

Example weekly timetable (2020): https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Course/brochures/medicine-2020.pdf (on page 6)

@tinglybananaman love the username lmao

(Marking this page for later)

Thanks so much, that’s so helpful. Just to clarify, I was really wondering about ‘in person’ attendance as opposed to attendance in general (i.e. if there is an online option?) as a 2019 (?) thread appeared to suggest there was. Obviously in person is preferable where possible, but I guess there are questions about that for all sorts of reasons (e.g. symptomatic/sick child). Anyway lots to think about, and thanks so much for engaging :smile:.

I have so much respect for everyone getting an offer or just going through the process of trying quite frankly - it has been quite a journey, hey!
What's everyone thinking about accommodation so far? Really hoping to live in Nottingham with a bunch of medics or other students. What are other people's plans?
Original post by tinglybananaman
What's everyone thinking about accommodation so far? Really hoping to live in Nottingham with a bunch of medics or other students. What are other people's plans?

I was wanting to do this too! Was hoping to see if any grad meds were interested in looking at places, I'm not keen on halls (been there done that got that damn tshirt haha)
You Thinking Notts over derby?
Same here - hope to rent out an apartment or house w/ 3 or 4 others, probably in Derby to save on travel (NHS will refund travel to clinical placements but not to uni).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Camdenspaige
I was wanting to do this too! Was hoping to see if any grad meds were interested in looking at places, I'm not keen on halls (been there done that got that damn tshirt haha)
You Thinking Notts over derby?

Yeah absolutely, Notts has better night life and just things to do in general, the David Ross Sports Village is great and really cheap compared to other leisure centres. I'm happy to drive in every day to Derby anyway. There's also that hopper bus too. Having said all that I wouldn't mind living in Derby, but never again in halls 😂😂
Yeah absolutely, Notts has better night life and just things to do in general, the David Ross Sports Village is great and really cheap compared to other leisure centres. I'm happy to drive in every day to Derby anyway. There's also that hopper bus too. Having said all that I wouldn't mind living in Derby, but never again in halls 😂😂

I lived in halls for first year in undergrad and dear God it was the actual worst :redface:

Does anyone know about any virtual offer holder days? I got an email that said the 17th April but haven't heard beyond that.
(edited 3 years ago)
I lived in halls for first year in undergrad and dear God it was the actual worst :redface:

Does anyone know about any virtual offer holder days? I got an email that said the 17th April but haven't heard beyond that.

Yeah same, it was hell 😂😂 haven't heard anything else regarding the virtual offer holder day.

hi! ive been nosing and was thinking about looking for other grad students to live with. same as some of the others halls are a definite no haha! not really sure abut derby or Nottingham so just looking to see others ideas!
Yeah same, it was hell 😂😂 haven't heard anything else regarding the virtual offer holder day.

Ooh apparently it's on 8th May I think I saw in an email
Original post by Jeballa
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!

Hey there, current 1st year here to answer any and all queries you have! Right now our weeks look like this;
Tuesdays 9:00 to 11:30 is PBL. This is currently online for us, but I imagine it will be back in person for you guys if all is well. At 11:30 Tuesday all the lectures for that week get released, it varies widely but it’s generally around 5 hours worth of stuff that we do completely in our own time over the week. You also have PBL on Friday mornings 9:00 to 11:00. Clinical skills is currently in person and we have that 1:30 to 5:00 on either Tuesdays or Fridays. The days of PBL and clinical skills will be the same through your whole first year. The only other in person thing is anatomy sessions, we currently only have one of those per module (so 6 in total over first year) but I think they did them more frequently in non COVID times. It’s obviously impossible to predict what the course will be like for you guys but I hope this helped anyway 😁
Reply 14
Final year undergrad here finding it hard to finish my diss with the excitement but also sheer confusion of the process of moving again. Deffo going to stay in Nottingham though I think I feel as if it would be better to be in the city. Is anyone else final year under grad/ Thinking of doing the same?
Original post by Ahsix
Final year undergrad here finding it hard to finish my diss with the excitement but also sheer confusion of the process of moving again. Deffo going to stay in Nottingham though I think I feel as if it would be better to be in the city. Is anyone else final year under grad/ Thinking of doing the same?

Definitely want to live in Nottingham come September, ideally near the Uni (so either Beeston or Lenton).
Definitely want to live in Nottingham come September, ideally near the Uni (so either Beeston or Lenton).

Completely random but I love the name Beeston. Just the idea that the city is ran by a ton of bees is excellent. 🐝🐝🐝
Completely random but I love the name Beeston. Just the idea that the city is ran by a ton of bees is excellent. 🐝🐝🐝

:lol: There's another Beeston in Leeds too

Post originally created by ecolier.
Just an input to people who want to live in Notts in first year for the nightlife or whatever. You're not going to have all the time in the world to enjoy the night life (especially if things don't actually reopen as they were before come September) and having to trek back home after a long day of face-to-face teaching may get old fast, especially if for whatever reason you end up missing the last hopper bus. I was a GEM1 in 2019 so I got a bit of normal GEM and also covid GEM so experienced the 'best' of both worlds. Nobody knows what things will be like in September. It could all go tits up again and you end up with 90% online learning again. But if it does end up becoming mostly face-to-face, I would definitely look at the bigger picture of things in terms of genuine convenience. Derby isn't the nicest of places to live and Notts is great, but realistically commuting just for the sights and night life would, for me personally, have got old really fast. This is even more true if where you end up living isn't directly on the hopper bus route. It's nice to just be able to walk/get a quick bus home, especially if you then have a load of work to do in the evening. Keep in mind that in CP1, CP2, CP3 and even GEM2, Notts will always be there as an option as somewhere to live. But for your first year, maybe try not to make things trickier than they need to be. You can always go to Notts in the evenings to enjoy the nightlife/ get the hopper bus for free for daytime activities, and the Red Arrow runs 24/7.

Just my two cents and of course it really depends on what transport you have access to. If you have a car/a reliable lift, then it will probably be a lot easier for you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Good points about living in Nottingham but I feel like for me personally being able to be in a city would be better just because I’m planning on living alone and don’t really know about derby so would rather be nearer the centre. I understand about going out & stuff but just seems like there’s more generally to do and more resources to access by being in Nottingham ( libraries/ societies and stuff too correct me if I’m wrong though) Does anyone know what Activities or systems are in place to help meet other offer holders? I’ve tried to join the offer holder day but have been waitlisted lol
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending