The Student Room Group

Studying and funding for a second degree?

I have applied to do Horticulture and garden Design at Duchy part-time as I believe it is an exception subject and will allow me to get full funding.
I have asked for the UCAS code to check this, but as I applied directly to the University I did not find a UCAS course code.
I have called SFE but they seem very vague and cannot tell me if I will get full funding or not. As part time applications open in the summer I cannot put an application in to find out either. I would like to plan ahead and study some design courses but if need to know if I can get funding first.
Original post by imogen Crofts
I have applied to do Horticulture and garden Design at Duchy part-time as I believe it is an exception subject and will allow me to get full funding.
I have asked for the UCAS code to check this, but as I applied directly to the University I did not find a UCAS course code.
I have called SFE but they seem very vague and cannot tell me if I will get full funding or not. As part time applications open in the summer I cannot put an application in to find out either. I would like to plan ahead and study some design courses but if need to know if I can get funding first.

Good Morning Imogen,

Can you confirm the college/campus? Is the above course the full course title?

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Original post by Shaun SFE
Good Morning Imogen,

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

Bec Hoticulture Garden and Landscape Design. Cornwall college Group - Duchy. Partnered with The University of Plymouth.

I have spoke to both Plymouth and Cornwall and The Eden Project where the course is run and no one has a course code because you apply directly through the University and not UCAS. No one knows the HECOS code.
Good Morning Imogen,

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

The course is part time as I believe all exception courses are. Although, there is a full time option.
The course is part time as I believe all exception courses are. Although, there is a full time option.

I've managed to check from the above details provided. There is the above course showing at Cornwall College and is an exception so funding would be available.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
I've managed to check from the above details provided. There is the above course showing at Cornwall College and is an exception so funding would be available.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

Thank you Shaun

It is very bemusing ... I spoke to Student Finance yesterday on the phone and they told me that (despite not having a course code) this course is not an exception course and not available for funding.
How have you found the code because no one else has been able to, including the universities providing the course.

I want to be sure because applications for part time funding opens in the summer. If I am turned down then, it will be too late to apply for a different course for that academic year.

This is often my experience when I call student finance, I ask the same question but get very different answers each time depending on who I speak to.
Thank you Shaun

I went to The Eden Project today for an open day and asked about funding for a second, part time degree in Horticulture as an exception course.
I was told that the Hecos codes are applied to each module and not the course as a whole. As a result, the Garden and Landscape Design part of the Horticulture BSc won't allow me to gain funding as a part time exception course.
I also asked about the Horticulture BSc without the design element and they said one of the modules doesn't meet the Hecos code requirement.

Can you check this please?
If funding were available for the whole course under Horticulture, this would encourage students to apply to do a second degree and also help the Eden Project to gain funding after suffering huge losses during lockdown.
Eden is an incredible project that does very interesting research in to sustainability and ways to reduce global warming.
Surely SFE and our government should support their work.

Many thanks

I have now been told by Cornwall College that the course does have the HECoS code CAH06.

It would be so useful if courses and HECoS codes were available and easy to find. Other than calling each individual University for over a month it would be impossible to get confirmation of the codes.
However, most staff don't even understand it so without persistence you would be misinformed.
(edited 2 years ago)

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

Dear Shaun

I have just applied for funding for the above course as a part time second degree (Hons) equal to my previous study. But have been turned down for both fee and maintenance loans when I complete the previous study section.
Dear Shaun

I have just applied for funding for the above course as a part time second degree (Hons) equal to my previous study. But have been turned down for both fee and maintenance loans when I complete the previous study section.

Hi Imogen, you will need to wait until our assessors manually review your application.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Imogen, you will need to wait until our assessors manually review your application.
Thanks, Isaac

The system deleted my application as soon as I had to add my previous education though.
The system deleted my application as soon as I had to add my previous education though.

It shouldn't, it should just make it ineligible until it's reviewed.

If your not able to apply online, then I advise you to complete the paper form.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending