The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amzyyxx
Hi, I received an offer today!

Congrats!
Has anyone actually been to Birmingham and seen Aston Uni? If you have, please could you give me your opinion on it. Also what’s the uni halls and sports facilities like ?
Reply 22
Hi, I got my offer a few days ago and I'm really considering Aston. Does anyone know a bit more about the structure of the course and the style of teaching? Is it just lectures for the first few years or is there any smaller group work? Couldn't find this out on the website!!
Reply 23
Original post by rryynn
Hi, I got my offer a few days ago and I'm really considering Aston. Does anyone know a bit more about the structure of the course and the style of teaching? Is it just lectures for the first few years or is there any smaller group work? Couldn't find this out on the website!!

I found this blog post really useful for me to get an idea.
https://lifeofamedic.com/2020/08/31/whats-it-really-like-to-study-medicine-at-aston-medical-school/
Reply 24
Hello, I just received an offer from Aston.
Reply 25

Ah brill!! That was really helpful
Reply 26
Guys does anyone know someone who is doing med at the uni. I'm a bit worried about what the uni's actually like because I saw someone post here 2yrs ago that it was really disorganised and not good. I don't mean to put anyone off, it's just that I didn't expect it.
Reply 27
Original post by TheWay
Guys does anyone know someone who is doing med at the uni. I'm a bit worried about what the uni's actually like because I saw someone post here 2yrs ago that it was really disorganised and not good. I don't mean to put anyone off, it's just that I didn't expect it.

hey, I spoke to one of the drs that teach at Aston and he said that the students are well read in medicine and know what they're doing and are intelligent too!!
Reply 28
Original post by manni.x
hey, I spoke to one of the drs that teach at Aston and he said that the students are well read in medicine and know what they're doing and are intelligent too!!

Hm good to hear it's just that @AMStudent00 had a lot of criticism about the course but idk if it's reliable or not
I’m trying to find pictures of the medical teaching facilities but no luck. I’m really curious as to what we can expect ? The virtual open day doesn’t tell u anything about what the building we will be studying at looks like on the inside, anything about dissection/prosection. I tried speaking to a current student with their Unibuddy but none are current medics!
Guys I just emailed them asking about applicant holder days, the facilities/building and enquiring about prosection and dissection. Once I get the reply I’ll post on here. Excited to meet you all!
Reply 31
Original post by Romcom101
Guys I just emailed them asking about applicant holder days, the facilities/building and enquiring about prosection and dissection. Once I get the reply I’ll post on here. Excited to meet you all!

heyy, they got back to me today. "Rest assured we will be in touch with any offer holders regarding a virtual applicant visit day in due course. As mentioned the visit day will most likely be virtual due to the current pandemic, but further information will be provided."
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by rryynn

2 pre clinical years so we’re mostly at the uni
3 years clinical mainly at hospital
It’s a mixture of PBL and lectures.
From what I know a mixture of prosection and dissection (possible visits to Leicester med school) this was in the past though, as now they have a new facilities building in the main wing of the building just for medical students. It’s a small school but accommodates well the small cohort of students they intake.

I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by manni.x
heyy, they got back to me today. "Rest assured we will be in touch with any offer holders regarding a virtual applicant visit day in due course. As mentioned the visit day will most likely be virtual due to the current pandemic, but further information will be provided."

Ahh thank you! Today they said to me it will most likely be virtual but they are in talks of holding on in person if the situation permits! So fingers crossed we get to see the campus in person! X
Is anyone a bit skeptical that this medical school is a relatively new one.
Original post by Abbasali123

Well they shouldn't be.

What are you sceptical about? That you won't get a degree?

Aston is "mentored" by Leicester and the latter is very well established.

If anything happens to Aston, you'd get a degree from Leicester.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by Abbasali123

not really. There's only like 30 unis in the country that do medicine and they have to be regulated by the gmc and be to a high standard to be able to teach medicine so any uni is good. Plus Aston follow leisters curriculum which is already a very established uni and great for medicine. Hopefully we have an offer holders day where they'll tell us more
Original post by AdamAmrani
not really. There's only like 30 unis in the country that do medicine and they have to be regulated by the gmc and be to a high standard to be able to teach medicine so any uni is good. Plus Aston follow leisters curriculum which is already a very established uni and great for medicine. Hopefully we have an offer holders day where they'll tell us more

Afaik it’s been confirmed that there’ll be a virtual offer day in the coming month or two once all the offers are out. I read that someone called them and that’s what Admissions said. Whoever’s worried about Aston though don’t worry, great medical school I’ve been there a lot.
Hi guys!

I got an offer from Aston about 2 weeks ago and have just found this forum.
I already have my grades and have firmed on my UCAS form.
I look forward to meeting you all!

xx
Reply 39
i’m worried about the amount of vaccines we have to get for this uni, i don’t think i’m gonna be able to get them all since my doctors can’t help

Latest

Trending

Trending