The Student Room Group

Cifas marker

Has anyone had a cifas marker removed if so in what circumstances? I want to know the likelihood of it being removed

Scroll to see replies

what'd you do chief?
Reply 2
Original post by V℮rsions
what'd you do chief?

I was like 15 baring mind I’m female , and I was approached by a group of lads that my friend new and they was talking about a way to make money and stuff and being naive and stupid I was like okay but after speaking to someone else about it I realised it sounded dodgy as hell so I told them I didn’t want to do it but they already had my card and details anyway I ended up getting my card back and they asked me to go into the bank to get this money out which I never actually did I lied and said they wouldn’t let me take it out but eventually my account got closed anyway so they must of suspected dodgy activity these lads were dangerous thouhh as one of them threatened me if I had told anyone. So I kept quiet but recently I’ve tried to resolve it as even my Monzo has been closed for no reason I can’t see why it would be closed ? I’ve never done anything like that ever so I don’t know why my Monzo would be closed I’m confused but yeah I kinda need it removing
Reply 3
Original post by Anno06527
baring mind I’m female

Irrelevant.

You broke your bank's terms by giving away your card details to someone else.

You should have contacted the police if threatened.
I was like 15 baring mind I’m female , and I was approached by a group of lads that my friend new and they was talking about a way to make money and stuff and being naive and stupid I was like okay but after speaking to someone else about it I realised it sounded dodgy as hell so I told them I didn’t want to do it but they already had my card and details anyway I ended up getting my card back and they asked me to go into the bank to get this money out which I never actually did I lied and said they wouldn’t let me take it out but eventually my account got closed anyway so they must of suspected dodgy activity these lads were dangerous thouhh as one of them threatened me if I had told anyone. So I kept quiet but recently I’ve tried to resolve it as even my Monzo has been closed for no reason I can’t see why it would be closed ? I’ve never done anything like that ever so I don’t know why my Monzo would be closed I’m confused but yeah I kinda need it removing

I instantly correlate Monzo with teenagers and potential scam victims these days -- this really isn't good advertisement for their brand
Reply 5
Has anyone had a cifas marker removed if so in what circumstances? I want to know the likelihood of it being removed

I got mine removed , I provided evidence that I didn’t know that what was being done to my card was fraud
Reply 6
I know this already I don’t need a lecture I need advise , I was 15 years old and was threatened for my card details off a group of lads I didn’t know what to do ? I didn’t go to the police due to them saying if I did this then they’d be paying me a visit that’s why I didn’t go to them in the first place
Original post by Reue
Irrelevant.

You broke your bank's terms by giving away your card details to someone else.

You should have contacted the police if threatened.
Reply 7

Realistically, the only way you'll get a Cifas marker removed is to persuade the business concerned that it shouldn't have been applied in the first place.
So I kept quiet but recently I’ve tried to resolve it as even my Monzo has been closed for no reason I can’t see why it would be closed ? I’ve never done anything like that ever so I don’t know why my Monzo would be closed I’m confused but yeah I kinda need it removing

They started running automatic API checks on all existing customers earlier this year which is why yours has been closed.

They're very rarely removed (even if you weren't acting in bad faith) unless you know what you're doing and can convince the Financial Ombudsman that the bank is wrong, or have loads of money to throw at it and have solicitors/barristers available that can help you establish the facts, file an N208 and take it to court.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by RedGiant
They started running automatic API checks on all existing customers earlier this year which is why yours has been closed.

They're very rarely removed (even if you weren't acting in bad faith) unless you know what you're doing and can convince the Financial Ombudsman that the bank is wrong, or have loads of money to throw at it and have solicitors/barristers available that can help you establish the facts, file an N208 and take it to court.

But because it was 3 years ago wouldn’t I need loads of evidence? Not sure how I’d even get that it just my word really
I know this already I don’t need a lecture I need advise , I was 15 years old and was threatened for my card details off a group of lads I didn’t know what to do ? I didn’t go to the police due to them saying if I did this then they’d be paying me a visit that’s why I didn’t go to them in the first place

No point making excuses for it now.

There's at least a few hundred CIFAS-related threads about these days, if you go find one you'll get lots of advice on what to do.
But because it was 3 years ago wouldn’t I need loads of evidence? Not sure how I’d even get that it just my word really

Exactly.
Reply 12
Has anyone had a cifas marker removed if so in what circumstances?

I haven't no.
Reply 13
I know this already I don’t need a lecture I need advise ,

This is a public forum. My hope is others will see my reply and avoid getting into your situation in the first place.

The advice is typically to ride it out for 6 years after which the marker is removed.
Reply 14
Original post by Tashax2
I got mine removed , I provided evidence that I didn’t know that what was being done to my card was fraud

How?
How?

I just said it , it says I provided evidence that I didn’t know that it was fraud

Very hard just ride the 6 years out
Reply 17
Original post by struggler07
Very hard just ride the 6 years out

How did you find the six years? Easy enough or tough going?
Original post by Quady
How did you find the six years? Easy enough or tough going?

Very hard still riding got 4 years and 6 months to go it really limits you can’t have a bank account or any credit it’s worse then a driving ban
Reply 19
Original post by struggler07
Very hard still riding got 4 years and 6 months to go it really limits you can’t have a bank account or any credit it’s worse then a driving ban

did you manage to open an account anywhere?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending