The Student Room Group

How to Become an Actor (2021)

I am currently in Sixth Form doing Drama A Level. What would you recommend me do so that I can become an actor?
Original post by emek4official
I am currently in Sixth Form doing Drama A Level. What would you recommend me do so that I can become an actor?

Hii
What are you thinking about in terms of higher education? if you're based in the UK there are LOADS of options for Uni courses that do Acting/Performance.
If you haven't already I would join an acting class/group as this will give you more experience. Have you considered auditioning for the NYT?

If you're really keen, I would recommend reading/watching plays as much as possible and try to find out what aspect of acting you can see yourself enjoying the most etc.

Hope this helps!
Get as much experience as you can. Take various drama classes, perform in plays, get experience from multiple aspects of theatre (improv, acting, screenwriting) perhaps as it will show that you are familiar with more than just the acting component in teater. Build an acting resumé that includes all your best work, get headshots, make sure that you have recordings of some of your best performances (for applicatons/auditions in the future). Apply to a good drama school; prepare for this application far in advance so that you can have the best application possible. Perhaps get an agent. Once you have done all this there are of course different steps and things you can do, but what mentioned here is pretty much how you "become an actor" the traditional way.

It all really depends on what kind of acting you wanna do, and if you want it as a hobby vs career. But these are the tips I would always hear all my friends who are professional actors give out to people. Good luck!
Original post by f_ student room
Hii
What are you thinking about in terms of higher education? if you're based in the UK there are LOADS of options for Uni courses that do Acting/Performance.
If you haven't already I would join an acting class/group as this will give you more experience. Have you considered auditioning for the NYT?

If you're really keen, I would recommend reading/watching plays as much as possible and try to find out what aspect of acting you can see yourself enjoying the most etc.

Hope this helps!

I was thinking of applying to Drama Schools, but if I am not accepted, then I would go to University and study Drama/Acting.

I was gonna apply to National Youth Theatre but I missed the deadline, so I am gonna apply next year in Year 13.

I do watch plays every now and then, but at the moment I can't go to the theatre, so I watch them online (National Theatre). I can see myself doing Live Action TV Dramas and movies.

Next year, I want to start performing in my local theatre.
Maybe the first step should be finding an agent, who could seek out work and direct you on the path of becoming an actor.
Thank you, I am planning on applying for LAMDA in 2022. I would like to act on screen (preferably television).
Original post by Eddie The Eagle
Maybe the first step should be finding an agent, who could seek out work and direct you on the path of becoming an actor.

How do I get an agent?
How do I get an agent?

God knows, try looking for one on Google, or maybe ask around on social media or something.
Original post by Eddie The Eagle
God knows, try looking for one on Google, or maybe ask around on social media or something.

Oh okay, I will try Google.
Oh okay, I will try Google.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest