The Student Room Group

2021 Dental rejections thread

Anyone here who has been rejected from all 4 of your choices. If so , what are your plans going forward ?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Maybe try posting in here? :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6192178

This helps to keep all the application questions in one place.
Original post by heldbygrace
Maybe try posting in here? :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6192178

This helps to keep all the application questions in one place.

It’s okay for a new rejection thread to be set up as it can help facilitate a new type of conversation (what to do next etc). Some other other courses (medicine) and universities (Cambridge) also have reject threads :yep:

Spoiler

Original post by Mesopotamian.
It’s okay for a new rejection thread to be set up as it can help facilitate a new type of conversation (what to do next etc). Some other other courses (medicine) and universities (Cambridge) also have reject threads :yep:

Spoiler

Sorry, I’ll remember that for next time! :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Bump
Original post by Seyiojo
Bump

Where did you get rejected from? And gap year or not?
Reply 6
Original post by Paranoiaa
Where did you get rejected from? And gap year or not?

Queen Mary’s, Plymouth, Newcastle and Leeds all pre interview

And Yh I’m on a gap year
Original post by Seyiojo
Queen Mary’s, Plymouth, Newcastle and Leeds all pre interview

And Yh I’m on a gap year

Sorry to hear. What were your stats?

Are you thinking of reapplying?
Reply 8
Sorry to hear. What were your stats?

Are you thinking of reapplying?

A, A, A*
2600 band 1

Reapplying is an option , however I just think next year’s cycle is gonna be massively more competitive, with the grade inflation from last year’s GCSE AND A-levels as well as the A level grades that are going to be distributed this year. Also, although not confirmed, the possibility of applications being forced to deferred entry. I’ve already seen unis like Plymouth change their rules after an application being sent off , due to the massive amount of applications.

I have an offer from Birmingham to study Pharmacy.
Original post by Seyiojo
A, A, A*
2600 band 1

Reapplying is an option , however I just think next year’s cycle is gonna be massively more competitive, with the grade inflation from last year’s GCSE AND A-levels as well as the A level grades that are going to be distributed this year. Also, although not confirmed, the possibility of applications being forced to deferred entry. I’ve already seen unis like Plymouth change their rules after an application being sent off , due to the massive amount of applications.

I have an offer from Birmingham to study Pharmacy.

Don’t lose hope for reapplying, tho if u do wanna do grad entry I would recommend bioscience over pharmacy as it’s one less year and biology content makes up a lot of dent degree too so more transferable :smile:
Rejected from everywhere and im on a gap year too :frown:
Original post by dentdent2020
Rejected from everywhere and im on a gap year too :frown:

Reapply again! I know people who got in on their 3rd try - aim for high UCAT :smile:
Reapply again! I know people who got in on their 3rd try - aim for high UCAT :smile:

i had a 3 interviews this year and got rejected :frown: i had 680 band 2 in the ucat with A*AA achieved A levels
i had a 3 interviews this year and got rejected :frown: i had 680 band 2 in the ucat with A*AA achieved A levels

it's never too late to apply again - you have a very good UCAT but the competition this year is an anomaly and will be easier next year.

If dentistry is really what you want, don't give up and fuel that passion into your preparation/application for next year :smile: you'll look back and think it was all worth it when you reapply. You have really good stats and i'm sure you can definitely improve your interview aspect if you think that's slightly weak :smile:
it's never too late to apply again - you have a very good UCAT but the competition this year is an anomaly and will be easier next year.

If dentistry is really what you want, don't give up and fuel that passion into your preparation/application for next year :smile: you'll look back and think it was all worth it when you reapply. You have really good stats and i'm sure you can definitely improve your interview aspect if you think that's slightly weak :smile:

I'm considering that yh, thank you for the kind words :smile:

Hey,
So sorry to hear that :frown:

I know that this can feel like a setback but everything happens for a reason and don't ever lose hope, if Dentistry is what you want to do then you CAN do it!

If you're reapplying next year, use this year to grow as a person and strengthen your application (working, volunteering, a higher UCAT score, more work experience etc.)

I know so many people in my year and even at other universities who are currently studying Dentistry, didn't get in on their first try and looking back they are glad they had that time to work on themselves.

If you have any more questions about applying for Dentistry again I'd be more than happy to answer :smile:

Wishing you the best of luck!

Numra
Year 3 Bristol Dental Student
medicmind.co.uk
Reply 16
Original post by Seyiojo
Anyone here who has been rejected from all 4 of your choices. If so , what are your plans going forward ?

Last year I was in this position, I took a gap year which I’m currently on and managed to get offers this year for 2021. So what I’m trying to say is don’t give up and reapply but make sure you have a backup like another degree course or an apprenticeship in anything.
Reply 17

You should try and work on your interview skills more. Make a list of the questions each uni asked you this year and try developing those answers. Google how to structure interview responses and practise. Tbh my ucat and bmat this year and last year was average and my alevels are aaa and I’ve managed to get an offer based on spending time researching how to structure interview answers. Use medic mind and ppl off YouTube as they do help
Original post by 4rj4nSB
You should try and work on your interview skills more. Make a list of the questions each uni asked you this year and try developing those answers. Google how to structure interview responses and practise. Tbh my ucat and bmat this year and last year was average and my alevels are aaa and I’ve managed to get an offer based on spending time researching how to structure interview answers. Use medic mind and ppl off YouTube as they do help

Thank you :smile: did you take two gap years?
Reply 19
Thank you :smile: did you take two gap years?

Nope this is my first year out of study

Quick Reply

Latest