The Student Room Group

Why are poor people poor?

Thought about this today and just couldn’t understand how someone born in this country can have valid excuses about being poor. (Bar the obvious ofc such as disability)

Scroll to see replies

I think these are a few reasons why:
-Maybe they did not work hard during school and are uneducated, so are unemployed.
- They recently lost a job and are unable to find a new one

They are mainly linked to unemployment, resulting in less money and therefore unable to pay living costs
Reply 2
Original post by Shy oreo
I think these are a few reasons why:
-Maybe they did not work hard during school and are uneducated, so are unemployed.
- They recently lost a job and are unable to find a new one

They are mainly linked to unemployment, resulting in less money and therefore unable to pay living costs

My comment is misleading it’s more how do people have an excuse as to why they are poor. Like it’s ur fault u failed at school, it’s ur fault ur unemployed everything in ur life is down to ur decisions.
The reason for being poor is not about having an ‘excuse’.

An excuse implies that it is entirely your own fault and you are unwilling to admit it, so you cover yourself with a lie or a half-arsed ‘reason’.

And also the fact you are asking ‘why’ clearly shows that you are a person on of privilege who cannot even fathom economic hardship. Or just someone who wants to provoke.

What do you mean by ‘poor’? Is poor to you not owning your own home? Or not having the money to travel 1st class? Is it not being able to afford a tin of beans? Or is it not being able to afford the latest iPhone?

“Why are people poor?”

Someone may have a job one day, the next day they are made redundant. No income? BAM you’re poor!

Someone may have grown up in an unstable home, unable to focus on school and in term graduated with little to no skills. No skills? No job. No job? No money. BAM you’re poor!

Someone may have a learning difficult or physical disability, preventing them from reaching their full academic potential in order to gain the skills for a well paying job. Someone might grow up in a deprived area with no good schooling. And some people are just bad with money.

Does that answer your question?
I see, your question makes sense now.

Why do they make excuses? I’d say embarrassment. It’s happened to some of my friends, classmates, etc etc.

They didn’t take school seriously and ended up with little qualifications. Or chose to drop out early and get a job which didn’t exactly lead to big things. They then see people who chose to study more or were just better at exams than them progress further into good jobs or university, and they feel jealous or embarrassed about the fact that their personal accountability meant they cannot enjoy the luxuries others who worked for it can. But that’s just my guess.
Reply 5
Original post by RamseyGOAT
Thought about this today and just couldn’t understand how someone born in this country can have valid excuses about being poor. (Bar the obvious ofc such as disability)

High correlation with their parents being poor.

For example someone who's parents can afford for them to go to private school and on foriegn school trips is more likely to be able to get better grades, go to university and do high earning careers such as medicine.
Reply 6
My comment is misleading it’s more how do people have an excuse as to why they are poor. Like it’s ur fault u failed at school, it’s ur fault ur unemployed everything in ur life is down to ur decisions.

That would be fair if all schools were made equal.

There are reasons 20 British Prime Ministers went to Eton yet none went to Hetton School.
Reply 7
Original post by Quady
That would be fair if all schools were made equal.

There are reasons 20 British Prime Ministers went to Eton yet none went to Hetton School.

yes but they are still the primary reason they failed why not just admit you failed and try make a success story now. Instead many make pathetic excuses, everyone can become successful
Reply 8

Why not do an experiment. Leave your phone and wallet at home, then get a one way ticket to another city and go from there.

And if you apply for a job, under skills and experience, write "none". Then you will understand.
yes but they are still the primary reason they failed why not just admit you failed and try make a success story now. Instead many make pathetic excuses, everyone can become successful

I am going to assume you are still at school and have no experience of the adult world. I will also assume that you haven't been paying attention in any humanities or social science subjects you take, because these topics are covered extensively.

The socioeconomic status of your parents has a huge influence on how well you do in education (it is also a very strong indicator of your future income). Come from the right background and, illness or disability aside, you have to seriously **** up to not do well academically, to not attend a good university, and to not have a range of job opportunities that will give you a good standard of living. The opposite is also true, come from a low income background and you'll find your opportunities much more limited. Going to the local school in a low income area where only a minority of pupils attain decent grades is obviously going to limit your opportunities.

As to why young adults struggle to pick themselves up by the bootlaces can be down several reasons. It can be situational such as living in an area with limited opportunities and lacking the financial resources to move away. It can be psychological such externalising the attitude that you've been written off and are a failure already. It can also simply be because it is a really difficult thing to do one you take on adult responsibilities. Someone may finish school with poor grades and take a job as a kitchen porter. They work hard and become a chef but where do they go from there? They are still earning barely above minimum wage. Work extremely hard over a number of years and stand out among your colleagues, and you may become a sous or even head chef. But even those jobs don't pay all that much compared to many run of the mill graduates after a decade in their careers. Of course they could take an access course to go to university as a mature student but how the hell do you make a serious commitment to education when you are working 50-60 hours a week in a physically draining job just to make ends meet? That is the reality of being an adult.

I use the chef example deliberately. It is an industry I use to work in between finishing school and starting university. It is full of hard working, committed individuals who work stupidly long shifts in return for little pay and limited job security. Not only did it toughen up me up from a fragile middle class kid (my current graduate job that sees me sat on my backside most of the day is a breeze by comparison), but utterly demolished the lazy belief that you can be successful just through hard work and a bit of drive.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Contested Claim
I am going to assume you are still at school and have no experience of the adult world. I will also assume that you haven't been paying attention in any humanities or social science subjects you take, because these topics are covered extensively.

The socioeconomic status of your parents has a huge influence on how well you do in education (it is also a very strong indicator of your future income). Come from the right background and, illness or disability aside, you have to seriously **** up to not do well academically, to not attend a good university, and to not have a range of job opportunities that will give you a good standard of living. The opposite is also true, come from a low income background and you'll find your opportunities much more limited. Going to the local school in a low income area where only a minority of pupils attain decent grades is obviously going to limit your opportunities.

As to why young adults struggle to pick themselves up by the bootlaces can be down several reasons. It can be situational such as living in an area with limited opportunities and lacking the financial resources to move away. It can be psychological such externalising the attitude that you've been written off and are a failure already. It can also simply be because it is a really difficult thing to do one you take on adult responsibilities. Someone may finish school with poor grades and take a job as a kitchen porter. They work hard and become a chef but where do they go from there? They are still earning barely above minimum wage. Work extremely hard over a number of years and stand out among your colleagues, and you may become a sous or even head chef. But even those jobs don't pay all that much compared to many run of the mill graduates after a decade in their careers. Of course they could take an access course to go to university as a mature student but how the hell do you make a serious commitment to education when you are working 50-60 hours a week in a physically draining job just to make ends meet? That is the reality of being an adult.

I use the chef example deliberately. It is an industry I use to work in between finishing school and starting university. It is full of hard working, committed individuals who work stupidly long shifts in return for little pay and limited job security. Not only did it toughen up me up from a fragile middle class kid (my current graduate job that sees me sat on my backside most of the day is a breeze by comparison), but utterly demolished the lazy belief that you can be successful just through hard work and a bit of drive.

Well hang on I got 9s in my humanities subjects so I’m pretty good at them although I don’t take any for A-Level. With the chef example I kind of understand because my parents run three restaurants and the chefs are hard working but the kitchen porters for example I have no sympathy for as they have to work extremely hard now in a very taxing job as they didn’t put in the effort earlier. At the end of the day I don’t think a valid excuse is to say I grew up poor and dint have the same opportunities,
Original post by hotpud
Why not do an experiment. Leave your phone and wallet at home, then get a one way ticket to another city and go from there.

And if you apply for a job, under skills and experience, write "none". Then you will understand.

That’s their fault they have none it’s their **** up. Now sort it out instead of saying you never had the same opportunities this isn’t a third world country, my dad didn’t have much growing up but is now extremely successful. There are no valid excuse bar the obvious ones like disability
Reply 12

If your parents believed you'd be a sucess irrelevant of education they would've have put you in a private school.

I assume you disagree and you're annoyed you'll never be able to personally demonstrate the assertion you're making.
Reply 13
Original post by hotpud

Or another experiment, perhaps they could send their kids to Hetton School.
Original post by Quady
If your parents believed you'd be a sucess irrelevant of education they would've have put you in a private school.

I assume you disagree and you're annoyed you'll never be able to personally demonstrate the assertion you're making.

They did put me in private school, tbh I’m not quite sure what u think ur point here is. I assume u meant to say state school. I don’t go to a public school such as Eton but I do go to private school and I’m not ashamed of that my parents gave me good opportunities. Tbh I’m not annoyed about anything if I make a success of myself no one can disagree with that. I’m just saying I think it’s pathetic that people blame their **** ups on the system when ultimately it’s down to them
Original post by Quady
Or another experiment, perhaps they could send their kids to Hetton School.

Why do you keep mentioning Hetton is it a particularly bad school? I searched it up and it’s just a school in Sunderland. State school isn’t that bad it’s still school, it’s pathetic to blame the system.
Reply 16
Why do you keep mentioning Hetton is it a particularly bad school? I searched it up and it’s just a school in Sunderland. State school isn’t that bad it’s still school, it’s pathetic to blame the system.

Well its not in special measures but 'requires improvement' according to OFSTED.

It's not blaming the system, its just kinda fact of life.

If the system was fine you wouldn't go to a private school would you? I can see why it's in your interest to claim 'blaming the system is pathetic' when the system is working out pretty rosey for you. Its worked out well for me too.

Why are people in Bangladesh poor? Or India? Its because the generation previous was poor. Its not because their population on average makes worse decisions than those made by people in the UK.
Reply 17
my parents gave me good opportunities.

I think it’s pathetic that people blame their **** ups on the system when ultimately it’s down to them

How is it down to them when they aren't provided the same opportunities?

First of all, not every job pays around 30k a year and there’s not enough jobs for everyone.

The UK is a capitalist country which creates class divide, where most wealthy people don’t want to share their wealth and keep people in poverty

Those poor people that you’re complaining about are the reason why you have access to clothes and good material so stop being so thick
Original post by tedibare
First of all, not every job pays around 30k a year and there’s not enough jobs for everyone.

The UK is a capitalist country which creates class divide, where most wealthy people don’t want to share their wealth and keep people in poverty

Those poor people that you’re complaining about are the reason why you have access to clothes and good material so stop being so thick

Rattled much? Na I’m joking, seriously tho not many clothes are made here. I’m not talking about poor people in third world countries I’m talking about people in this country. Also why should wealthy people have to share the money they worked hard for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending