The Student Room Group

Why are poor people poor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quady
Well its not in special measures but 'requires improvement' according to OFSTED.

It's not blaming the system, its just kinda fact of life.

If the system was fine you wouldn't go to a private school would you? I can see why it's in your interest to claim 'blaming the system is pathetic' when the system is working out pretty rosey for you. Its worked out well for me too.

Why are people in Bangladesh poor? Or India? Its because the generation previous was poor. Its not because their population on average makes worse decisions than those made by people in the UK.

No I’m not attacking people in third world countries, I’m just saying if u grow up on an estate here it’s still more than what a lot of people around the world have. Ur still getting fantastic opportunities in comparison to others, so when someone says ‘oh I’m doing this cos I failed at school, but it was the system, it was made against me’ I think it’s invalid
And you can’t go around blaming Asia and Africa for being poor when this so called country you cherish stole their gold and used them as slaves. So in other words, you rich people are the reason for poverty
Original post by RamseyGOAT
Rattled much? Na I’m joking, seriously tho not many clothes are made here. I’m not talking about poor people in third world countries I’m talking about people in this country. Also why should wealthy people have to share the money they worked hard for.

and what are you going to say about those people who work hard as well but receive low income? Do their hard work not equal to those who have high income?
Reply 23
No I’m not attacking people in third world countries, I’m just saying if u grow up on an estate here it’s still more than what a lot of people around the world have. Ur still getting fantastic opportunities in comparison to others, so when someone says ‘oh I’m doing this cos I failed at school, but it was the system, it was made against me’ I think it’s invalid

Yet you go to a private school.

Seems like you don't believe your own rhetoric....
(edited 3 years ago)
I thought you were talking about poverty in general, never mind then.. my argument would not make sense here 👋
Reply 25

But that person who 'failed at school' is still likely doing much better than someone in Bangladesh.
Reply 26
Original post by Quady
If the system was fine you wouldn't go to a private school would you?

To be fair, people don't just end children to independent schools because they think the standard of education is better. Some people just want choice, a different ethos, to send their children to schools they attended, to go to a school close-by or one that offers boarding.

I might choose to use one GP. That choice isn't automatically suggesting I think I'd fail terribly if I went to another. The local authority does not, and should not, have a monopoly on educating children.
Reply 27
Original post by L i b
To be fair, people don't just end children to independent schools because they think the standard of education is better. Some people just want choice, a different ethos, to send their children to schools they attended, to go to a school close-by or one that offers boarding.

I might choose to use one GP. That choice isn't automatically suggesting I think I'd fail terribly if I went to another. The local authority does not, and should not, have a monopoly on educating children.

Dont disagree. The OP however is punching down without the counterfactual though.
Sometimes it's people's own fault however sometimes the world just isn't fair.

If the world was always fair Donald Trump would still be President and TSR would make me a unbanable mod for my outstanding contribution to this forum.
Some people are genuinely too poor to get a job. If you can't pay for uniforms and childcare and transportation it's hard to keep a job.
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
Some people are genuinely too poor to get a job. If you can't pay for uniforms and childcare and transportation it's hard to keep a job.

Maybe they should have thought about that before breeding
Original post by Starship Trooper
Maybe they should have thought about that before breeding

Do poor people not deserve kids? What about accidental pregnancies?
Do poor people not deserve kids? What about accidental pregnancies?

If they are so poor as to not be able to look after themselves let alone kids no.

If they are that poor they shouldn't be having sex either.
If they are so poor as to not be able to look after themselves let alone kids no.

^This. Certainly not of the unprotected variety - if the protection is reliable, "accidental" ones ought to be rare.
(edited 3 years ago)

I don't blame those people (because of accidental pregnancy, being financially stable when you have kids and then becoming financially unstable, etc.) but don't you think that only poor people not being able to have kids is a problem with our economic system that should be fixed?
Reply 35
That’s their fault they have none it’s their **** up. Now sort it out instead of saying you never had the same opportunities this isn’t a third world country, my dad didn’t have much growing up but is now extremely successful. There are no valid excuse bar the obvious ones like disability

How many books do you own?
I don't blame those people (because of accidental pregnancy, being financially stable when you have kids and then becoming financially unstable, etc.)

but don't you think that only poor people not being able to have kids is a problem with our economic system that should be fixed?

I have sympathies for such people but they are a tiny minority.

No, in fact I think that's a positive. Such people should not be having kids. Working class should have few and upper classes have lots
Castrate poor people: anyone earning less than say £100K should solve the problem.

Wouldn't even need to do all of them. The poorest 15% first would likely be enough to grab the rests attention thus galvanising a revolution in educational attainment, corporate productivity and slashing the welfare system costs in less than a generation.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
How many books do you own?

Many, why?
Original post by Quady
But that person who 'failed at school' is still likely doing much better than someone in Bangladesh.

More Likely doesn’t mean Impossible, my dad grew up in Bangladesh. While he wasn’t poor he certainly wasn’t well off by this countries standards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending