The Student Room Group

Folders vs Notebooks for A levels

Hi,
I'm planning on doing English Literature, History, Maths and Psychology at college and I was just wondering which would be best suited to these subjects.
folders

you will probs need 2 actually for each subject
1 for as and 1 for a2

also why are you doing 4 a-levels
Original post by gregdixon2021
folders

you will probs need 2 actually for each subject
1 for as and 1 for a2

also why are you doing 4 a-levels

I was struggling to pick between maths and psychology, and in the end I decided to do them both, as the college ok’d it. Is there something wrong with doing 4?
Original post by oliviapaigexox
I was struggling to pick between maths and psychology, and in the end I decided to do them both, as the college ok’d it. Is there something wrong with doing 4?

no university looks at 4 a-levels in favour of someone with 3, both are seen equally. Basically what you're doing to yourself is giving a whole extra work load when 3 is hard enough to keep up with. Even the smartest (some that got A*A*A*) dropped 4 because of the work load

Just think carefully before starting 4
no university looks at 4 a-levels in favour of someone with 3, both are seen equally. Basically what you're doing to yourself is giving a whole extra work load when 3 is hard enough to keep up with. Even the smartest (some that got A*A*A*) dropped 4 because of the work load

Just think carefully before starting 4

Yeah I mean I suppose that could be true. I wouldn’t say that the extra work load isn’t worth it though, I think both maths and psychology provide useful skills for what I want to do.
If you're determined about doing 4 subjects, and you're doing well in your GCSEs i don't see why you shouldn't/can't do 4. Yes, the workload is going to be a lot more, but if you really like all the subjects it'll be worth it at the end. Your only focus shouldn't be how a uni will look at your subjects rather what you'll learn from them, whether you enjoy them etc. The rigor prepares you for uni in my opinion. I'm doing 4 subjects too (bio, chem, physics, maths) and it's not easy, but then again I did maths in a year so it obviously wasn't going to be. But do I regret it? No. It was very worth it :smile:
Yeah I mean I suppose that could be true. I wouldn’t say that the extra work load isn’t worth it though, I think both maths and psychology provide useful skills for what I want to do.

Universities, even the Cambridge talk I went to a few days ago said that dropping 4 subjects is much more worth it if you can secure more A*s. I think if you're stuck between those two subjects, think about what you want to do at University. It is probably ideal to have a plan before picking your subjects, so then when it comes to UCAS you have the required subjects for the course. If your course you want to pick requires more psychology than maths, pick that etc etc. You could pick 4 but I would strongly advise against it. I don't know how some even do 5
Universities, even the Cambridge talk I went to a few days ago said that dropping 4 subjects is much more worth it if you can secure more A*s. I think if you're stuck between those two subjects, think about what you want to do at University. It is probably ideal to have a plan before picking your subjects, so then when it comes to UCAS you have the required subjects for the course. If your course you want to pick requires more psychology than maths, pick that etc etc. You could pick 4 but I would strongly advise against it. I don't know how some even do 5

I can totally understand your point... I’m probably just setting myself up for tons of stress and no social life haha. You see, I want to do law at university so I feel that history and English are good fits for that. I suppose maths and psychology are more to do with showing that I’m a logical thinker and building knowledge on why people act the way they do. I’ll definitely look over my plan and think things through. :smile:
As you can’t decide between which you prefer of maths or psychology, I’d recommend doing 4 for the first 2-3 weeks of college and then drop the one you least prefer after you’ve had some lessons for both. It’s not worth doing 4, as A-levels are extremely difficult and universities would prefer you to get higher grades in 3 subjects than lower grades across 4.

How I do the whole folder thing at college is I use a day folder which has all of my subjects in it (with dividers between each) and I place all of my work from lessons in that. I just use an A4 pukka pad for lessons which you can rip out the pages of. Then when it gets to half term, I condense all my class work into notes and put them in place of all the work from the previous half term (as it’s far less paper) and place my old work into individual lever arch files that I just keep at home. Hope that makes sense! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
I can totally understand your point... I’m probably just setting myself up for tons of stress and no social life haha. You see, I want to do law at university so I feel that history and English are good fits for that. I suppose maths and psychology are more to do with showing that I’m a logical thinker and building knowledge on why people act the way they do. I’ll definitely look over my plan and think things through. :smile:

If law definitely psychology over maths any day
Original post by stillcrying
As you can’t decide between which you prefer of maths or psychology, I’d recommend doing 4 for the first 2-3 weeks of college and then drop the one you least prefer after you’ve had some lessons for both. It’s not worth doing 4, as A-levels are extremely difficult and universities would prefer you to get higher grades in 3 subjects than lower grades across 4.

How I do the whole folder thing at college is I use a day folder which has all of my subjects in it (with dividers between each) and I place all of my work from lessons in that. I just use an A4 pukka pad for lessons which you can rip out the pages of. Then when it gets to half term, I condense all my class work into notes and put them in place of all the work from the previous half term (as it’s far less paper) and place my old work into individual lever arch files that I just keep at home. Hope that makes sense! :smile:

Honestly, I think that’d be really, really great if my college allowed it. For some odd reason, I think by the 7th July you can no longer swap around your a levels and if you’ve chosen 4, you have to commit for the full two years. It’s a bit strange to me as I’m not going to have an inkling what they’re like before starting haha

And thank you for the folder advice, I can start planning something similar now. Makes my life much easier! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Folders honestly u study a lot so it's just easier to organise everything w folders
Honestly, I think that’d be really, really great if my college allowed it. For some odd reason, I think by the 7th July you can no longer swap around your a levels and if you’ve chosen 4, you have to commit for the full two years. It’s a bit strange to me as I’m not going to have an inkling what they’re like before starting haha

And thank you for the folder advice, I can start planning something similar now. Makes my life much easier! :smile:

Oh that’s annoying as I initially took 4 to figure out which one I preferred out of physics and politics (to go alongside maths and history) and was allowed to drop one after a few weeks at my college.

And I’m glad you found that helpful, it’s definitely kept me so organised throughout my time at college! Really helpful having notes from the last half term too as it’s meant I’ve never had to make any in a rush when I’ve had assessments.

As you want to study law, it’s really open in terms of A-level combinations so you can’t go wrong with maths or psychology. Psychology will be likely be more beneficial to you though as it’s an essay based subject whereas maths isn’t but both will look good when applying to universities! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by stillcrying
Oh that’s annoying as I initially took 4 to figure out which one I preferred out of physics and politics (to go alongside maths and history) and was allowed to drop one after a few weeks at my college.

And I’m glad you found that helpful, it’s definitely kept me so organised throughout my time at college! Really helpful having notes from the last half term too as it’s meant I’ve never had to make any in a rush when I’ve had assessments.

As you want to study law, it’s really open in terms of A-level combinations so you can’t go wrong with maths or psychology. Psychology will be likely be more beneficial to you though as it’s an essay based subject whereas maths isn’t but both will look good when applying to universities! :smile:

Thank you, that’s honestly so helpful. Would you mind telling me a bit about what maths a level is like (it’s the one I think I’m most anxious about)? I think I’m going to be with AQA for it.
Reply 14
hey! folders would prob be more practical for eng lit, history and psychology. Use notebooks (notice the plural) for maths, though. Also, remember that you can definitely drop a subject after AS, so enjoy learning this year, and get more specific the next if you want(I'm doing this, so its not smth I'm just saying)

i knew a guy doing 6 a levels at once:biggrin:
he did 4 at his sixth form and then another two privately !! what madness hahaha
You don’t need a folder for maths. But, I’d get one to store all your past papers. At the end of the day, the aim is to review the worksheets/ past papers you store in it, so the less chunky your bag is, the better.

Still don’t think you need it for maths though, a notebook would be enough.
Thank you, that’s honestly so helpful. Would you mind telling me a bit about what maths a level is like (it’s the one I think I’m most anxious about)? I think I’m going to be with AQA for it.

So I do OCR but I’m pretty sure most of A-level maths is universal. I’ve really really enjoyed it, so much so that I’m studying it at uni in September! I went into A-levels not knowing what I wanted to study at university (I don’t study further maths either which I would’ve had I known I wanted to study maths). It’s definitely my favourite subject and going into year 12 I wondered if I wouldn’t be very good at it as I was never top of the class at GCSE (I got an 8 but had never gotten over a 7 in class). Some of the content can take a little while to get your head round but after practising some questions, it’s easy to get full marks. I remember thinking the stuff we did at the start of year 12 was the hardest thing ever but now being at the end of year 13, it really is a walk in the park so don’t worry if you struggle at first, everyone does. I’d say just keep on top of homework as it just takes practice to be good at maths. I’ve found the content really enjoyable to learn though, it’s a lot more stimulating than GCSE.
Have notebooks to write in then place the pages into your day folder at the end of each lesson, organised into subjects and teachers by dividers. At the end of each topic, take all the pages from that topic and put it into a topic specific section in your home binder. Keeping organised is key to success.

Notebooks
1 binder for AS per subject
1 binder for A2 per subject
Plastic wallets
Dividers
Day folder

I recommend Oxford Campus Notebooks:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Campus-Wirebound-Notebook-Size/dp/B00AUV70PW/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf1_0?crid=3BHDJA8HHSPNI&cv_ct_cx=oxford+campus+notebook+a4&dchild=1&keywords=oxford+campus+notebook+a4&pd_rd_i=B00AUV70PW&pd_rd_r=cb728636-b898-47cf-8032-72253b405767&pd_rd_w=4xpl9&pd_rd_wg=tnHc6&pf_rd_p=0907528d-e69c-42de-9df8-628d56a339fb&pf_rd_r=75XWTFSF6WV31BF4DQAF&psc=1&qid=1617396138&sprefix=oxford+c%2Caps%2C205&sr=1-1-f188f9fa-0157-48f5-a7ad-8e0892dbeeeb

Quick Reply

Latest