The Student Room Group

Thick accents ??

Why do Latin American people who have lived in the UK still have very thick accents?
Those who were born here or even those immigrated or sought asslyum still have incredibly thick accents or can barely speak English.
A catering lady I know at my university cannot speak a word of English and she's lived here for 10 years.

It's the same with others. They also socialize with Spanish or Latin people only.

One guy tried to date me but we had nothing to talk about as he simply couldn't express himself much.

Why is this so??

Add- I'm not saying everyone must speak English but at least you should know the language where you live. If I lived in France, I would know French right?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I agree

I think in order to respect a country you should first learn to fully speak and embrace its language
Those that don't learn to speak it are lazy and they cost us a great deal of money (eg police often require translators)

It is unbelievable how some people live 10 years without understanding a single thing anyone says... there just here for jobs and are so reluctant to socialize with people in their new country. There is really no excuse to not learn it either, we have so much technology and apps that can teach us new languages faster than ever before.
Original post by Jonathanツ
I agree

I think in order to respect a country you should first learn to fully speak and embrace its language
Those that don't learn to speak it are lazy and they cost us a great deal of money (eg police often require translators)

It is unbelievable how some people live 10 years without understanding a single thing anyone says... there just here for jobs and are so reluctant to socialize with people in their new country. There is really no excuse to not learn it either, we have so much technology and apps that can teach us new languages faster than ever before.

Yeah. This lady in particular requires student translators and so do other Spanish speaking staff as they simply cannot express themselves properly. It's another thing to be proud of your language and speak in your own language with your people but it's height of laziness if you can't even learn the language where you live properly enough to communicate
Original post by chinesezodiacpig
Yeah. This lady in particular requires student translators and so do other Spanish speaking staff as they simply cannot express themselves properly. It's another thing to be proud of your language and speak in your own language with your people but it's height of laziness if you can't even learn the language where you live properly enough to communicate

We could argue however that it's good they can't talk to us

Due to their laziness they don't deserve the pleasure of having a conversation with us
We could argue however that it's good they can't talk to us

Due to their laziness they don't deserve the pleasure of having a conversation with us

Well it's sad too. This colombian dude wanted to date me but I couldn't even understand him most of the time and he didn't know how to express himself. It was sad as he was cute but the communication problems were really big.
Well it's sad too. This colombian dude wanted to date me but I couldn't even understand him most of the time and he didn't know how to express himself. It was sad as he was cute but the communication problems were really big.

It's his own fault

I'm guessing from your interesting opinions that you are a smart and insightful person so you deserve someone who can actually understand you
It's his own fault

I'm guessing from your interesting opinions that you are a smart and insightful person so you deserve someone who can actually understand you

I dunno but I'm sad about it lol. He was definitely cute
I dunno but I'm sad about it lol. He was definitely cute

If he chose not to fully learn English then he clearly ain't very smart, is he?
An accent isn't really indicative of how well you speak the language though. You can be fluent and have a thick accent. Idk wtf people from Liverpool and Merseyside (I don't like the term people use to describe them so I go for the longer version) are talking about but apparently it's English.

Idc if a person has an accent because everyone does. And you can't eliminate your accent as an adult.
I agree

I have a thick accent and I always speak my first and fluent language with police. They usually get a translator when I get arrested in England.
Original post by Krisis
An accent isn't really indicative of how well you speak the language though. You can be fluent and have a thick accent. Idk wtf people from Liverpool and Merseyside (I don't like the term people use to describe them so I go for the longer version) are talking about but apparently it's English.

Idc if a person has an accent because everyone does. And you can't eliminate your accent as an adult.

That's not true tho. I have a friend who is Indian and she was born and brought up in India. Has only lived her for 5 years for studies and has a British accent. Shocking but she speaks English as if she's actually British. I guess it depends upon if you actually want to learn.
I also don't get it because it's actually natural for our accents to change by being around different ones even if it's just at work etc. Mine changes if i watch an american series for long enough lol.

I think it's when people are a bit resistant to change and set inn their ways, they lack awareness of others' accents and behaviourisms so are less likely to take anything away from them.
If he chose not to fully learn English then he clearly ain't very smart, is he?

Yeah I guess and ultimately fulfilling the stereotype that latinos or spaniards are unwilling to learn English
That's not true tho. I have a friend who is Indian and she was born and brought up in India. Has only lived her for 5 years for studies and has a British accent. Shocking but she speaks English as if she's actually British. I guess it depends upon if you actually want to learn.

India is a bad example because it's a former colony and Indians learn English from a very young age.
Original post by Krisis
India is a bad example because it's a former colony and Indians learn English from a very young age.

No. Indians who live in India also have pretty thick accents. She's one of the only the 2 Indians I ve met who was born and brought up there yet speaks with a British accent. The other one has a mix of Brit-American accent. And the other friend is 29.
(edited 3 years ago)
No. Indians who live in India also have pretty thick accents. She's the only of the 2 Indians I ve met who was born and brought up there yet speaks with a British accent. The other one has a mix of Brit-American accent.

Depends what you mean by British accent. Scots and Irish people are British but have different accents from the English who're also British. And then there are different accents within England - like I said, I have trouble understanding Liverpudlians. Yorkies, Geordies, etc as well. I think I understand Indians better tbh.
Original post by Krisis
Depends what you mean by British accent. Scots and Irish people are British but have different accents from the English who're also British. And then there are different accents within England - like I said, I have trouble understanding Liverpudlians. Yorkies, Geordies, etc as well. I think I understand Indians better tbh.

By accent I mean London accent? Probably the easiest accent to pick up in British English I guess???

Indians do speak good English but they also have thick accents like my 2 lecturers. But these two girls are something else. I have no clue how they learnt it but it was more of the want to speak like actual English speaking people do.
Something that seems to be lacking in latinos or spaniards.
By accent I mean London accent? Probably the easiest accent to pick up in British English I guess???

Indians do speak good English but they also have thick accents like my 2 lecturers. But these two girls are something else. I have no clue how they learnt it but it was more of the want to speak like actual English speaking people do.
Something that seems to be lacking in latinos or spaniards.

Did you make this acc to troll about Latinos and Spaniards?
Why do Latin American people who have lived in the UK still have very thick accents?
Those who were born here or even those immigrated or sought asslyum still have incredibly thick accents or can barely speak English.
A catering lady I know at my university cannot speak a word of English and she's lived here for 10 years.

It's the same with others. They also socialize with Spanish or Latin people only.

One guy tried to date me but we had nothing to talk about as he simply couldn't express himself much.

Why is this so??

Add- I'm not saying everyone must speak English but at least you should know the language where you live. If I lived in France, I would know French right?

A lot of people don't interact with people who speak English fluently. If they're new to the country, they tend to stick to their communities and cultures and aren't really open to strip away from that. Also, they might want to keep that part of them, the part that isn't British or French etc.
Original post by Krisis
Did you make this acc to troll about Latinos and Spaniards?

What is trolling in this? It's a discussion so why are you branding this as trolling? If you can't discuss then your problem not mine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending