The Student Room Group

How to answer competency questions in civil servant application (policy advisor)

Hi, I am applying for an animal health and welfare policy adviser and need to answer competency questions. The band b skills are managing and leading and delivering outcomes and I have 4 questions to be answered using the STARR method. 1. Ability to develop and present complex policy options using a range of evidence and research. 2. Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels. 3. Proving track record of working in a programme/project environment, including experience of delivering and planning projects and prioritising workloads. 4. Excellent all round communication skills, written, verbal and presentation skills. Anyone have any good examples and advice to answer these??
Original post by Robynmccarron123
Hi, I am applying for an animal health and welfare policy adviser and need to answer competency questions. The band b skills are managing and leading and delivering outcomes and I have 4 questions to be answered using the STARR method. 1. Ability to develop and present complex policy options using a range of evidence and research. 2. Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels. 3. Proving track record of working in a programme/project environment, including experience of delivering and planning projects and prioritising workloads. 4. Excellent all round communication skills, written, verbal and presentation skills. Anyone have any good examples and advice to answer these??

Hi, you've just got to use your previous experience to answer these as I wouldn't advise making something up. I don't have any good examples as on previous applications I got 4s for my statements.

You could start the first one by saying something like I recently did (to explain the situation part) This involved developing and presenting complex policy options to a diverse group of stakeholders (for the task part). Then explain your actions so maybe something like I did this by using a range of evidence and research to build arguments relating to policy. Finally you need to explain the result so it could be something like As a result of this, the policy was successfully implemented by the organisation and is currently being used.

All I'd say is that you have to use your own experience and clearly demonstrate competencies otherwise you won't get past the sift. The interview will also be competency based so I'd say read over the job description beforehand and write some paragraphs up prior to the interview to prepare.

Hopefully this helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending