The Student Room Group

✨reaching for a starinthenight:a multiyear gyg✨

Scroll to see replies

and our gcse exam timetable:image.jpg
HOW DID I GET MY ENGLISH GRADES FROM A 7 TO AN 8?

Spoiler

1.memorise the english lit markschemes for each character then find a qoute for each bullet point and write a paragraph
2.english language is exam technique u need to know wtf the examiners are looking for they have aos for a reason
but here is a structure for language:
Technique
evidence
explanation of the qoute
zoom on one word
reader effect
link to question-practically qoute the question
(edited 3 years ago)
6A544B7A-4FF6-43AE-B031-C434AB3A0A7A.jpeg

YESSSS ITS ACTUALLY IMPROVING im actually hating on english lit rn
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 1hhh
6A544B7A-4FF6-43AE-B031-C434AB3A0A7A.jpeg

YESSSS ITS ACTUALLY IMPROVING im actually hating on english lit rn

oooh any tips? Especially with time management and how you were able to balance your revision. I basically have 2-3 weeks to get myself together and attempt to get 7-9s in all my subjects (I take: Edexcel Maths, AQA English (AIC, Love and Relationships and our teacher recently said we're not going to be assessed formally on Macbeth anymore I guess since we haven't finished the book but we might do one or two questions on it in class), AQA Triple Higher Science, Eduqas RE, Edexcel Business, Edexcel History and AQA French - we sort of do similar subjects except I don't do computer science and spanish). Also tips on maths, english and science since I want a nine in english and need a 7/8 to do maths and science (specifically chemistry) at a levels. I know you gave some tips on english but if you could please go in more detail on what resources you used and whatnot that would be helpful.

summary; give me tips for every single subject in detail - from time management down to the resources you used and to how long you spent on say past paper questions etc etc. I'm very ambitious right now and I want to do well so I want to know everything. Also with English Language, how did you revise for the creative writing aspect? Did you prepare an answer beforehand or did it based off your skills in the exam?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by StarshineDiamond
oooh any tips? Especially with time management and how you were able to balance your revision. I basically have 2-3 weeks to get myself together and attempt to get 7-9s in all my subjects (I take: Edexcel Maths, AQA English (AIC, Love and Relationships and our teacher recently said we're not going to be assessed formally on Macbeth anymore I guess since we haven't finished the book but we might do one or two questions on it in class), AQA Triple Higher Science, Eduqas RE, Edexcel Business, Edexcel History and AQA French - we sort of do similar subjects except I don't do computer science and spanish). Also tips on maths, english and science since I want a nine in english and need a 7/8 to do maths and science (specifically chemistry) at a levels. I know you gave some tips on english but if you could please go in more detail on what resources you used and whatnot that would be helpful.

summary; give me tips for every single subject in detail - from time management down to the resources you used and to how long you spent on say past paper questions etc etc. I'm very ambitious right now and I want to do well so I want to know everything. Also with English Language, how did you revise for the creative writing aspect? Did you prepare an answer beforehand or did it based off your skills in the exam?

no problem! Im happy to help! so ill take today in terms of time management for revision:
7.30 wake up havee breakfast etc
8.10 start studying
10.30 breaktime
11.00 start studying
1.30 break time (lunch)
2.30 start studying
5.30 break time tbh i normally shower at this time too and my dad comes home
7.00start studying
10.00 sleep time!
so in total 10.5 hrs (ik it sounds a lot but with all the breaks etc it doesnt seem that way to me for some reason)
ill do the subjects individually at my next break
NOTE: i only look at my phone in the morning ad in the break at 1.30 and after 10.00 i feel like phones are a waste of time
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 1hhh
no problem! Im happy to help! so ill take today in terms of time management for revision:
7.30 wake up havee breakfast etc
8.10 start studying
10.30 breaktime
11.00 start studying
1.30 break time (lunch)
2.30 start studying
5.30 break time tbh i normally shower at this time too and my dad comes home
7.00start studying
10.00 sleep time!
so in total 10.5 hrs (ik it sounds a lot but with all the breaks etc it doesnt seem that way to me for some reason)
ill do the subjects individually at my next break
NOTE: i only look at my phone in the morning ad in the break at 1.30 and after 10.00 i feel like phones are a waste of time

Okay, thank you so much. I'm also replying rn during my 5 min break cos I'm using the promodoro technique
Okay, thank you so much. I'm also replying rn during my 5 min break cos I'm using the promodoro technique

tbh im personally not a fan of this technique but if it works for u then stick to it :smile:
ENGLSIH LITERATURE: im currently having a metaphorical feud with this subject 😒
ENGLISH LANGUAGE: for creative writing have 3 main story ideas before u go into an exam💡 like good ones that can be flexible to any picture/topic -it helps if u write from the perspective of an object or an animal (because it make it more likeable and memorable compared to everyone else)
for persuasive writing try and make it like a rant and make really funny but offensive comments eg footballers kick a ball , a useful skill for a monkey trying to crack a walnut😂
MATHS practice questions eg corbett maths, dr frost maths, mathsmadeasy is a good website but maths comes naturally to me...😊
BIOLOGY go through the specification and answer the questions on the specification eg recall a simple description of protein synthesis?
make sure u include the unzipping of the DNA molecule around the gene, copying to mRNA in nucleus (transcription), (translation) of the nucleotide sequence in the cytoplasm, tRNA as the carrier of amino acids in ur answer etc
CHEMISTRY past paper questions memorise the markscheme literally the examiners are REALLY SUPER lazy😎
PHYSICS same thing really but also learn how to use equations
BUSINESS is basically learning all the vocab definitions and using the cornell method to make notes, i use quizlet to memorise these notes
SPANISH/FRENCH USE QUIZLET omg over lockdown i went from a 6 to a 9 cuz i just used quizlet to just memorise vocab like all of it, do it constructively so swipe left if u dont know the word swipe right if u do it and keep doing it until u finished the set and do it every week
RELIGIOUS STUDIES there are loads of practice questions and i found a really cool website to explore more questions than just past paper ones
https://thersteacher.com/home-2019/themes/themedlink/themedquestions/
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 1hhh
tbh im personally not a fan of this technique but if it works for u then stick to it :smile:
ENGLISH LANGUAGE: for creative writing have 3 main story ideas before u go into an exam💡 like good ones that can be flexible to any picture/topic -it helps if u write from the perspective of an object or an animal (because it make it more likeable and memorable compared to everyone else)
for persuasive writing try and make it like a rant and make really funny but offensive comments eg footballers kick a ball , a useful skill for a monkey trying to crack a walnut😂
MATHS practice questions eg corbett maths, dr frost maths, mathsmadeasy is a good website but maths comes naturally to me...😊
BIOLOGY go through the specification and answer the questions on the specification eg recall a simple description of protein synthesis?
make sure u include the unzipping of the DNA molecule around the gene, copying to mRNA in nucleus (transcription), (translation) of the nucleotide sequence in the cytoplasm, tRNA as the carrier of amino acids in ur answer etc
CHEMISTRY past paper questions memorise the markscheme literally the examiners are REALLY SUPER lazy😎
BUSINESS is basically learning all the vocab definitions and using the cornell method to make notes, i use quizlet to memorise these notes
SPANISH/FRENCH USE QUIZLET omg over lockdown i went from a 6 to a 9 cuz i just used quizlet to just memorise vocab like all of it, do it constructively so swipe left if u dont know the word swipe right if u do it and keep doing it until u finished the set and do it every week
RELIGIOUS STUDIES there are loads of practice questions and i found a really cool website to explore more questions than just past paper ones

thank you so much
guysss help how do you revise for english literature and maths??
Original post by loraa11
guysss help how do you revise for english literature and maths??

heya im not quite sure for english lit but maths should be past paper questions go as far as 2010 for ur spec
Original post by 1hhh
heya im not quite sure for english lit but maths should be past paper questions go as far as 2010 for ur spec

oh ok thanks
Original post by 1hhh

sorry to disturb you, but what do you use to learn for science? Do you use quizlet or seneca or do you make your own flashcards? Also, when you're learning the markschemes, do you make flashcards based off the mark scheme or keep repeating questions until you understand the method/skill?
sorry to disturb you, but what do you use to learn for science? Do you use quizlet or seneca or do you make your own flashcards? Also, when you're learning the markschemes, do you make flashcards based off the mark scheme or keep repeating questions until you understand the method/skill?

i make my own flashcards on quizlet based off the markscheme eg one side would be *how does catalytic cracking work* (2marks) the other side being *heated to a high temperature - passed over a catalyst* :smile: and i just keep learning the flashcards off by heart ❤️
Original post by 1hhh
i make my own flashcards on quizlet based off the markscheme eg one side would be *how does catalytic cracking work* (2marks) the other side being *heated to a high temperature - passed over a catalyst* :smile: and i just keep learning the flashcards off by heart ❤️

Thank you :h: I'm going to start doing that - at first I was just making flashcards based off the spec but using the mark scheme would also be useful
Original post by 1hhh

while im at it here’s an update -😎
i have a bbq today but its cloudy urghhh i was kinda looking foward to it 😒and also i woke up at 6:50 to start studying at 7.30 so i can make up for the time lost at the bbq
i just am about to finish english literature done inspector calls -i realised if u combined the old spec mark schemes and the new spec mark schemes it basically gives u an essay 😊😁 so im in the middle of doing that for macbeth sadly there is no old spec papers/mark schemes for jekyll and hyde which im least confident on cuz for my mocks
an inspector calls 31/34
macbeth- 26/34
jekylll and hyde was 15/30 :frown: so i need to improve that one the most
*ME TRYNA IMPROVE ENGLISH LIT FROM A 7 —>8 so i can get all A*s* so any tips on that would be much aPpReciAteD 😎
Thank you :h: I'm going to start doing that - at first I was just making flashcards based off the spec but using the mark scheme would also be useful

Yep I did both cuz they kinda go hand in hand if there arent questions on a specific point in the spec then i would make one up
Original post by 1hhh
while im at it here’s an update -😎
i have a bbq today but its cloudy urghhh i was kinda looking foward to it 😒and also i woke up at 6:50 to start studying at 7.30 so i can make up for the time lost at the bbq
i just am about to finish english literature done inspector calls -i realised if u combined the old spec mark schemes and the new spec mark schemes it basically gives u an essay 😊😁 so im in the middle of doing that for macbeth sadly there is no old spec papers/mark schemes for jekyll and hyde which im least confident on cuz for my mocks
an inspector calls 31/34
macbeth- 26/34
jekylll and hyde was 15/30 :frown: so i need to improve that one the most
*ME TRYNA IMPROVE ENGLISH LIT FROM A 7 —>8 so i can get all A*s* so any tips on that would be much aPpReciAteD 😎

I'm not sure if you're already doing this but for English lit I try and find grade 9 answers and analyse how they word their essays / make flashcards based off their points so you know how to word your essays to get you maximum marks.
Original post by 1hhh
Yep I did both cuz they kinda go hand in hand if there arent questions on a specific point in the spec then i would make one up

Did it take you a long time to do both?
I'm not sure if you're already doing this but for English lit I try and find grade 9 answers and analyse how they word their essays / make flashcards based off their points so you know how to word your essays to get you maximum marks.

Thank you for the tip ill probs start doing that today is there certain ideas that make it a grade 9 essay do u think? like do u always question the question eg is macbeth ambitious would u write some agreeing but then offer an alternative perspective like how he is actually controlled by lady macbeth
(edited 3 years ago)
Did it take you a long time to do both?

meh it was ok like 3-4 hours per subject for me ofc broken down with breaks but then after that the learning part was easier cuz u have all ur resources in one place so u just have to study that quizlet setand nothing else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending