The Student Room Group

a level subjects

i’m currently in year 11 and i’m in the process of choosing my subjects for a level, i thought i had it all planned out but i’m going through a huge phase where i keep changing my mind. mathematics is a subject in definitely doing as in good at it and i’m predicted an 8, but i’m stuck on what else to chose, i don’t want to regret anything like i’ve done with my gcses. i also at unsure of what i will be doing in the future so it makes it even harder for me, i keep seeing things on the internet (mainly tiktok) that people hate certain subjects and that i shouldn’t chose them but then it makes it even harder for me!

please can i have some advice from people who know/have experienced this because it’s not been helping with my anxiety 😟 thankyou!!
Maths is a great starting point.

What other subjects are you predicted high grades in?

What did you regret with your GCSEs?

What kind of careers are interesting to you?

what university degrees are you considering?
Don’t worry about what other people hate as you’re not them. Most of my maths class hate maths but I love it. Do what you enjoy and think you could do reasonably well at. If you focus mainly on what you enjoy hopefully it’ll open doors to continue doing what you enjoy in the future.
What do you see yourself doing as a career?
Original post by chazwomaq
Maths is a great starting point.

What other subjects are you predicted high grades in?
geography and computer study (but i dont enjoy them), and the 3 sciences
What did you regret with your GCSEs?
i wish i chose RE and art
What kind of careers are interesting to you?
no clue .-.
what university degrees are you considering?
IDK 😩
Original post by emek4official
What do you see yourself doing as a career?

i really don’t know :,(
Original post by Hellllpppp
Don’t worry about what other people hate as you’re not them. Most of my maths class hate maths but I love it. Do what you enjoy and think you could do reasonably well at. If you focus mainly on what you enjoy hopefully it’ll open doors to continue doing what you enjoy in the future.

thankyou for that! made me feel better
Reply 6
Hi there! I do a level maths now (y13) and I also got an 8 at gcse. Although it can be difficult at times it is a very good subject, and I’m currently working at an A. It’s a good subject as it’s very general, and viewed as a facilitating subject, so should help you get onto any university course!
The main advice I got for choosing a level was of course choose what you’re good at, but also make sure you enjoy it. A levels are more intense than gcse, and really enjoying the subject will help give you motivation to keep working.
You could also think about what subjects may tie into each other, so for example maths is very useful to take along with science, so you could consider a science if you enjoy them.
Although it isn’t mandatory, it is useful to have a general sort of idea of what career you’d like to go into after you leave. It doesn’t need to be fully chosen just yet, but you could be thinking along the lines of do you want to go to uni and get a degree, do an apprenticeship or go straight into working? From there you can start to think about what specifically interests you, and what a levels may be useful for it. Your school may have some careers advice, so it may be worth asking!!
Since you're not sure at the moment I think the best thing to do is make a list of the top 5 careers you might want to work in then next to each write the A Levels that link to that career. Then circle all the subjects that overlap in more than one career. Then cross out the ones that you don't like and then pick the four subjects max that you do like and enjoy. If these subjects are the ones you like and are good at then that is a starting point. You can always change your subjects before the 3 week deadline.
If you can't figure out what to do, I'd take maths + a science + a humanities. Forget about what other people said was "hard". All A-Levels are pretty difficult.
Original post by ruby.rose177
i’m currently in year 11 and i’m in the process of choosing my subjects for a level, i thought i had it all planned out but i’m going through a huge phase where i keep changing my mind. mathematics is a subject in definitely doing as in good at it and i’m predicted an 8, but i’m stuck on what else to chose, i don’t want to regret anything like i’ve done with my gcses. i also at unsure of what i will be doing in the future so it makes it even harder for me, i keep seeing things on the internet (mainly tiktok) that people hate certain subjects and that i shouldn’t chose them but then it makes it even harder for me!

please can i have some advice from people who know/have experienced this because it’s not been helping with my anxiety 😟 thankyou!!

Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

Maths is a great A-level, certainly if you're predicted an 8. It will keep many options open for you post A-levels. For your other two options, I would recommend choosing options that you enjoy and are good at. This will help you studying it. I would stress not to let social media and other people opinions influence your decisions. Everyone will find subjects different depending on themselves and where they study.

I hope this helps
Ethan - UOP Rep

Quick Reply