The Student Room Group

Course change after applying

Hello,
Ive had offers from all 5 unis that i applied to for, but ive now decided that i dont want to do that course anymore and want to do biology instead. My predicted grades are BBC and i want to go to a good university. Has anyone got offers for biology with these grades? i dont know whether to apply through extra or wait and hope theres a course in clearing (which sounds abit stressful)
Original post by OliviaPxoxo
Hello,
Ive had offers from all 5 unis that i applied to for, but ive now decided that i dont want to do that course anymore and want to do biology instead. My predicted grades are BBC and i want to go to a good university. Has anyone got offers for biology with these grades? i dont know whether to apply through extra or wait and hope theres a course in clearing (which sounds abit stressful)

I haven't done a biiology degree, but I did research about the courses before. I thought you might want to take a note of the accreditation you should look out for (the following list is from the Royal Society of Biology):
https://www.rsb.org.uk/education/accreditation/institutions/Accreditation
What the accreditation will mean is that the courses should more or less have standardised content that would be similar to other universities.
There are a number of universities with courses in the above list that should be asking for BBC at A Level as their standard entry requirements. I don't know which universities will be lowering their grade requirements during clearing and I don't know by how much.

If you want to specifically work in biology, then you would ideally get the accredited degree, but then look to do postgrad after your bachelor's, since jobs in biology more or less expect you to have at least a master's (and ideally a PhD). It's a competitive field, so you might want to stay ahead of the game. Also, try to get a job working in a lab dealing with biology related material where possible.
If you are *certain* this is what you want to do then go through Extra now.
You are far more likely to get a place, and there will not be the same level of stress and panic as you'll get at Clearing.
At this stage, you will be surprised at the courses / Uni that are still open/available - not just 'lower' Unis.

Go on UCAS search and see what Biology (or Biological Science, Human Biology, Plant Science, Bioveterinary Science, Anatomy etc etc) courses are still taking applications. Look at the courses in detail, make sure it really interests you and that you meet the grade/subject requirements, then look at the relevant campus tour films on YouTube to get an idea of what the Uni looks and feels like. Do your research and rank 3 or 4 course choices in order of preference. Do this in the next couple of days.

Once you are certain this is what you want to do, withdraw from all your current choices on Track, then you will be 'eligible for Extra' and you can apply for your top Biology choice, then wait for their decision.

More info here : https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/its-not-too-late-use-ucas-extra
You really should have thought about what you wanted to study before completing your UCAS application. You have to reject the 5 offers you hold (for the course you do not now want to go to) and will enter a bun fight to get a place for biology. This ****-up is of your own making.

BBC is fine and will get you into a decent uni to study biology. Go through extra - clearing will be a blood bath this year. Lots of uni places for 2022 have already been offered unconditionally to students from last year who had their A levels grades bumped up so there will not be as many places in clearing this year.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
I haven't done a biiology degree, but I did research about the courses before. I thought you might want to take a note of the accreditation you should look out for (the following list is from the Royal Society of Biology):
https://www.rsb.org.uk/education/accreditation/institutions/Accreditation
What the accreditation will mean is that the courses should more or less have standardised content that would be similar to other universities.
There are a number of universities with courses in the above list that should be asking for BBC at A Level as their standard entry requirements. I don't know which universities will be lowering their grade requirements during clearing and I don't know by how much.

If you want to specifically work in biology, then you would ideally get the accredited degree, but then look to do postgrad after your bachelor's, since jobs in biology more or less expect you to have at least a master's (and ideally a PhD). It's a competitive field, so you might want to stay ahead of the game. Also, try to get a job working in a lab dealing with biology related material where possible.

Wow thank you so much that was so helpful!!
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
If you are *certain* this is what you want to do then go through Extra now.
You are far more likely to get a place, and there will not be the same level of stress and panic as you'll get at Clearing.
At this stage, you will be surprised at the courses / Uni that are still open/available - not just 'lower' Unis.

Go on UCAS search and see what Biology (or Biological Science, Human Biology, Plant Science, Bioveterinary Science, Anatomy etc etc) courses are still taking applications. Look at the courses in detail, make sure it really interests you and that you meet the grade/subject requirements, then look at the relevant campus tour films on YouTube to get an idea of what the Uni looks and feels like. Do your research and rank 3 or 4 course choices in order of preference. Do this in the next couple of days.

Once you are certain this is what you want to do, withdraw from all your current choices on Track, then you will be 'eligible for Extra' and you can apply for your top Biology choice, then wait for their decision.

More info here : https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/its-not-too-late-use-ucas-extra

Thank you so much!! i didnt know about the UCAS search thing so your answer was really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending