The Student Room Group

Psychology vs law

Hi there ,
I am currently in year 12 and at university want to study law , psychology or both !
My ideas on careers include a family lawyer and maybe a therapist (but not certain on that)
I’m struggling to choose which path to go down as I believe I would enjoy psychology more , and then could do a GDL to law. However , I think it would be easier to get into a law degree due to my past experiences.
Any recommendations or ways I can do both
Maybe try doing looking at the courses at universities for both career paths. Then maybe look at websites to see how you get into those careers. Try looking at YouTube videos of people in the career and that might help you see what the jobs are like.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

https://www.ucas.com/
Both careers are available whatever first degree you do as you can do a law or psychology conversion course post-graduate.

Law is vocational, whereas psychology is not.

Both careers are highly competitive whereas the degrees are not, so there is a glut of graduates in each subject. Law especially is mainly worthwhile if you have good grades and can get into a top Russell Group university.

You don't need a psychology degree to be a therapist. Many therapists do other careers first, although often in health related areas.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by chazwomaq
Both careers are available whatever first degree you do as you can do a law or psychology conversion course post-graduate.

Both careers are highly competitive whereas the degrees are not, so there is a glut of graduates in each subject. Law especially is mainly worthwhile if you have good grades and can get into a top Russell Group university.

You don't need a psychology degree to be a therapist. Many therapists do other careers first, although often in health related areas.

thank you so much , I think I'm going to end up applying to both law and psychology courses since the main unis I want to go to excel in law and I don't know if id appeal to the top psychology universities since I do not do a science, only psychology
Original post by chazwomaq

To become a clinical psychologist you do need a BPS accredited psychology degree (either an undergrad or postgrad conversion course). You then also need to do the DClinPsy. There are a number of other professional psychology roles that likewise require that BPS accredited degree background (e.g. forensic psychology) as well.
Original post by mc04
Hi there ,
I am currently in year 12 and at university want to study law , psychology or both !
My ideas on careers include a family lawyer and maybe a therapist (but not certain on that)
I’m struggling to choose which path to go down as I believe I would enjoy psychology more , and then could do a GDL to law. However , I think it would be easier to get into a law degree due to my past experiences.

Southampton offers a course in Law with Psychology (also one in Psychology with Law) which might be of interest :smile:

If you can get into a law degree grade-wise then you should be able to get into similar psychology courses as well. The only tripping point is that a lot of psychology undergrad programmes require or prefer you take one or more STEM subjects (which may or may not include psychology) at A-level.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
you can't do both unless you personally have the money to do so, and btw you won't be doing the GDL if you do psychology; you'll be doing the SQE exams (same as most law degree holders cuz it will replace the LPC).

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/solicitors-qualifying-examination-sqe#:~:text=The%20SQE%20will%20eventually%20replace,a%20long%20period%20of%20transition.

may i ask you what attracts you to become a family solicitor or a therapist as a career(?) as they are very, very different. to be a family solicitor is an office job; filing applications and going through the legal process of separation. your client may want your emotional support or understanding, but that isn't your job. you might find it incredibly boring then to file applications idk; unlike if you're a therapist trying to help people deal with personal situations. (btw what do you mean by therapist? like a counsellor or a psychologist because they also have different routes. you can be a counsellor with a law degree + postgraduate study. you need a psychology degree to become a psychologist tho.)
I'm in a similar situo to you but w languages and law and tbh if u think ud enjoy a psych degree more u should pursue that and then you can do the SQE afterwards if you want to be solicitor as theres now no need to complete an LLB if you want to go into law
Original post by artful_lounger
To become a clinical psychologist you do need a BPS accredited psychology degree (either an undergrad or postgrad conversion course). You then also need to do the DClinPsy. There are a number of other professional psychology roles that likewise require that BPS accredited degree background (e.g. forensic psychology) as well.

All true, but OP did not mention clinical psychology or any professional psych career.
Reply 9
To become a clinical psychologist you do need a BPS accredited psychology degree (either an undergrad or postgrad conversion course). You then also need to do the DClinPsy. There are a number of other professional psychology roles that likewise require that BPS accredited degree background (e.g. forensic psychology) as well

Southampton offers a course in Law with Psychology (also one in Psychology with Law) which might be of interest :smile:

If you can get into a law degree grade-wise then you should be able to get into similar psychology courses as well. The only tripping point is that a lot of psychology undergrad programmes require or prefer you take one or more STEM subjects (which may or may not include psychology) at A-level.

I know, that is my main worry, I'm thinking of entering psychology competitions and anything that will make me more appealable to unis
Reply 10
Original post by H4ttie03
I'm in a similar situo to you but w languages and law and tbh if u think ud enjoy a psych degree more u should pursue that and then you can do the SQE afterwards if you want to be solicitor as theres now no need to complete an LLB if you want to go into law

thank you, can I ask how your application process is going, im currently just weighing up my options and looking for something that will boost my ucas application before starting to write my personal statement
Reply 11
Original post by Joleee
you can't do both unless you personally have the money to do so, and btw you won't be doing the GDL if you do psychology; you'll be doing the SQE exams (same as most law degree holders cuz it will replace the LPC).

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/solicitors-qualifying-examination-sqe#:~:text=The%20SQE%20will%20eventually%20replace,a%20long%20period%20of%20transition.

may i ask you what attracts you to become a family solicitor or a therapist as a career(?) as they are very, very different. to be a family solicitor is an office job; filing applications and going through the legal process of separation. your client may want your emotional support or understanding, but that isn't your job. you might find it incredibly boring then to file applications idk; unlike if you're a therapist trying to help people deal with personal situations. (btw what do you mean by therapist? like a counsellor or a psychologist because they also have different routes. you can be a counsellor with a law degree + postgraduate study. you need a psychology degree to become a psychologist tho.)

I feel (but obviously don't know for sure ) that a family solicitor and therapist both tap into the human side of things and require you to hold a great deal of understanding for your clients, whether that be to advise them through emotional matters, or help them deal with personal issues. in terms of therapist I don't know much about the subject but someone that deals with personal clients and possibly their mental health , but I am unsure what other options differ to this. family law is the ideal dream but it just seems a difficult process.
Original post by mc04
thank you, can I ask how your application process is going, im currently just weighing up my options and looking for something that will boost my ucas application before starting to write my personal statement

Yeah sure, tbh atm I'm just trying to come to a decision what I'd like to study as I'm still undecided, then once I've come to a decision I'm gonna read some books and I've also got this project thing I'm doing which I'll base around either course, and then maybe do a MOOC or smth before writing my personal statement
Reply 13
Original post by H4ttie03
Yeah sure, tbh atm I'm just trying to come to a decision what I'd like to study as I'm still undecided, then once I've come to a decision I'm gonna read some books and I've also got this project thing I'm doing which I'll base around either course, and then maybe do a MOOC or smth before writing my personal statement

that sounds good, hope it all goes well
Original post by mc04
that sounds good, hope it all goes well

Thank you, good luck to you too!
Original post by mc04
Hi there ,

Hi there :smile:

It's great to hear you are wanting to go to university to either study law or psychology :smile:

Firstly, it's ok to not know what path you want to go down, so please never put pressure on yourself to feel like you have to know what you're doing! I didn't know what career path to go down so I struggled when choosing a university subject, however I picked the subject I enjoyed most which was Psychology! Since studying Psychology at university I have finally choose a career path I want to go down which is recruitment and engaging people into companies etc.

I would suggest looking at courses for Psychology and Law and also see if any universities do joint courses as this sounds like it would be perfect for you. As one of the comments said, to be a therapist you need to have done a BPS accredited course, so if you do law and want to be a therapist you will have to do a conversion course to gain the BPS accreditation. I would also suggest looking at the different routes you can go down if you did Law and Psychology as your career path may change and you may want to do something else later down the line :smile:
I hope this helps, but please do not! You will find the perfect course for you!

Please let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Reply 16
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there :smile:

It's great to hear you are wanting to go to university to either study law or psychology :smile:

Firstly, it's ok to not know what path you want to go down, so please never put pressure on yourself to feel like you have to know what you're doing! I didn't know what career path to go down so I struggled when choosing a university subject, however I picked the subject I enjoyed most which was Psychology! Since studying Psychology at university I have finally choose a career path I want to go down which is recruitment and engaging people into companies etc.

I would suggest looking at courses for Psychology and Law and also see if any universities do joint courses as this sounds like it would be perfect for you. As one of the comments said, to be a therapist you need to have done a BPS accredited course, so if you do law and want to be a therapist you will have to do a conversion course to gain the BPS accreditation. I would also suggest looking at the different routes you can go down if you did Law and Psychology as your career path may change and you may want to do something else later down the line :smile:
I hope this helps, but please do not! You will find the perfect course for you!

Please let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)

Hi, thank you so much for that information
Can I ask how you are finding your psychology course as I currently love it, but am a bit scared for uni since I am not doing any sciences or maths , only psychology and I feel like this puts me at a disadvantage compared to others,
thank you for your time, Maliha
Original post by mc04
Hi, thank you so much for that information
Can I ask how you are finding your psychology course as I currently love it, but am a bit scared for uni since I am not doing any sciences or maths , only psychology and I feel like this puts me at a disadvantage compared to others,
thank you for your time, Maliha

Hi Maliha,

Thank you for your response :smile:

For my A levels I did Psychology, History and Media and therefore only knew science through what I learnt in Psychology. I always struggled with maths so this is something I was worried about when I started university. However, the course is started from base level and therefore you will learn all the basics of science in Psychology and statistics in Psychology. This is to get everyone on the same level as some people on the course may have not studied Psychology before. I would try not to worry about being disadvantaged in any way because you already have psychology knowledge and lecturers will teach you everything you need to know so you won't behind. At Surrey in first year we had weekly statistic workshops where there would teach us how to use the programme and the lectures are so informative so please try not to worry about it or even put you off!

I am really enjoyed the course and my lecturers have always been so supportive whenever I have needed help and responded to emails as soon as possible! What I love about Psychology at Surrey is that the Psychology department has always maintained a high standard of teaching and support. I feel as though I am really benefitting from the teaching here and learning new things. The lecturers also have contact hours which you can attend and ask them any questions you may have. My lectures use a range of PowerPoint slides but incorporate videos and questions to keep us engaged, I like this as it keeps me interested. The labs in the Psychology department are really new and up to date allowing us to access the most recent equipment and psychological technologies. I get so excited when I get to use the most recent equipment and get hands on experience with them, its so fascinating! Here is a link to the School of Psychology here at Surrey and the virtual tour of the labs, its great to see what is available to you when your studying a psychology degree:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psychology
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psyc...-and-equipment

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Becca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending