The Student Room Group

paper 1 question 3, Silk Factory by Judith Allnatt extract

I need help on what to write for this question as I've never done it before, can anyone give me any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Is this gcse paper 1 aqa?
Reply 2
I’m pretty sure yes, just the structure question
has anyone done the paper? can you send in the questions because ive got to do it soon.
Question 3 on Language Paper 1 is all about structure.The question is: How does the writer use structural choice to interest the reader?My advice would be:1 - how does it start at the beginning of the extract? e.g. zooms in on a setting, flashback, long sentence, short sentence2 - how does it end? e.g. one sentence paragraph? zoom in?3 - any other structural choicesExamples of structural choices are flashbacks, sentence and paragraph length, zooming in/out, enigmas(questions asked)The key thing is after using quotes or structural choices is to say HOW this INTERESTS the readere.g. if you want to put: this interest the reader as it makes the reader want to read on. You must continue this sentence by saying e.g. this interest the reader as it makes the reader want to read on because they want to find out who 'x' is and the enigmas shown make them want to read on to find out what happens to to the 'stranger child'Hope this helps, I did this paper this morning for my GCSE assessment, if you need any more help with this let me know :smile:
Original post by polzeath1234
Question 3 on Language Paper 1 is all about structure.The question is: How does the writer use structural choice to interest the reader?My advice would be:1 - how does it start at the beginning of the extract? e.g. zooms in on a setting, flashback, long sentence, short sentence2 - how does it end? e.g. one sentence paragraph? zoom in?3 - any other structural choicesExamples of structural choices are flashbacks, sentence and paragraph length, zooming in/out, enigmas(questions asked)The key thing is after using quotes or structural choices is to say HOW this INTERESTS the readere.g. if you want to put: this interest the reader as it makes the reader want to read on. You must continue this sentence by saying e.g. this interest the reader as it makes the reader want to read on because they want to find out who 'x' is and the enigmas shown make them want to read on to find out what happens to to the 'stranger child'Hope this helps, I did this paper this morning for my GCSE assessment, if you need any more help with this let me know :smile:

could you give me some examples of sentences you used when writing about how it interests the reader. i know the question is "how it interests the reader" but thats one of my weaknesses it always seems very basic when i write about it. general advice on it would be highly appreciated. :smile:
To be honest, I can’t remember exactly what I put. And can’t remember the extract too well with structure. But these are some idea, not the best ones though. Maybe try doing another practice paper as well to help. The writer zooms in onto the description of the garden. This interests the reader because it it makes them want to read on, as the garden is rather mysterious with ‘broken bricks’ and ‘trees that snarled’. When Rosie first sees the girl, this is a pivotal moment in the source, interesting the reader and making them want to find out who this girl is and why she is there in the ‘unfamiliar garden’.
Sorry I don't have my responses to the Silk Factory as I did it at school as part of my exam, however, this answer responds to the June 2017 paper.
This was my response to Q2:

The writer uses descriptions of the weather to describe Rosabel’s bus journey home. ‘Blurred and misty’ this suggests that it was a foggy day, and Rosabel couldn’t see very clearly where she was. ‘Blurred suggests that the weather was particularly bad, and this could also be a subtle way of how she is feeling. Her day may have been a bit of a ‘blur’ to her as she says that ‘she began to think of all that had happened during the day’.

The writer uses a negative choice of words to suggest that Rosabal’s bus journey home was stuffy and uncomfortable. ‘Her feet were terribly wet’ suggests that it had been raining and she has got soaked by the rain, this suggests that she probably feels uncomfortable. ‘Black, greasy mud’ further suggests that she is uncomfortable as her coat is covered with mud. The metaphor ‘seemed to resolve into one meaningless, staring face’ suggests that the people all look the same to Rosabel. And that their faces are perhaps blurred, which also links to the ‘blurred and misty’ weather. The verb ‘staring’ suggests that all of the people on the bus are only staring at her, and this could be because of her muddy ‘petticoat’ or the fact that her feet are ‘terribly wet’. It also suggests that she felt claustrophobic and stuffy because everybody was staring at her, with a ‘meaningless face’ suggesting that they all had blank faces and expressions.

The writer contrasts this bus journey with the description of the jeweller’s shop calling it ‘fairy palaces’. The noun ‘fairy’ suggests that it is magical and pretty. The writer gives you the idea that ‘light was striking’ at the jeweller's shop which suggests that this was Rosabel’s dream, yet her life in reality is sitting on a bus ‘terribly wet’ with ‘greasy mud’ on her with people giving her ‘one meaningless, staring face’.

It was marked by my teacher and given 6/8 :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Can anyone help me with question 4 . I’m struggling to find points to write about
(edited 3 years ago)
Sorry all, this is answer to Question 4 on June 2017 paper if you do answer that paper this will help!
First of all- do you agree with the statement? Do you think that the red haired girl is advantaged and do you think that Rosabel is right to be angry? There are 2 parts to the statement so you could somewhat agree with one and disagree with the other.

Think about the red haired girl. Where in the extract does it suggest that she is advantaged?
‘the colour of that green ribbon shot with gold‘
She got back from ‘Paris last week‘.
She is ‘well dressed‘ - in comparison with Rosabel who is wearing muddy clothes.

Where does it suggest Rosabels anger? Do you think she has a right to be angry? Or jealous?

The young girl tells Rosabel she will have the hat, she then tells her ‘It suits you, beautifully.’ This therefore makes Rosabel envious and angry that the young rich girl teased her like that.
‘‘A sudden, ridiculous feeling of anger had seized Rosabel’
Think about contextual points as well.
Rosabel is of a low working social class, working long hours in a hat shop, the other red haired girl is of a high class who is rather wealthy.
However - this isn’t her fault as she isn’t to blame but I understand rosabels frustration
But ultimately she has been born into a class and her upbringing would be different to the young girl’s as they young girl is privileged and was most likely born into the high class.

They are a few ideas, if you need more help just ask or PM me :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
First of all- do you agree with the statement? Do you think that the red haired girl is advantaged and do you think that Rosabel is right to be angry? There are 2 parts to the statement so you could somewhat agree with one and disagree with the other.

Think about the red haired girl. Where in the extract does it suggest that she is advantaged?
‘the colour of that green ribbon shot with gold‘
She got back from ‘Paris last week‘.
She is ‘well dressed‘ - in comparison with Rosabel who is wearing muddy clothes.

Where does it suggest Rosabels anger? Do you think she has a right to be angry? Or jealous?

The young girl tells Rosabel she will have the hat, she then tells her ‘It suits you, beautifully.’ This therefore makes Rosabel envious and angry that the young rich girl teased her like that.
‘‘A sudden, ridiculous feeling of anger had seized Rosabel’
Think about contextual points as well.
Rosabel is of a low working social class, working long hours in a hat shop, the other red haired girl is of a high class who is rather wealthy.
However - this isn’t her fault as she isn’t to blame but I understand rosabels frustration
But ultimately she has been born into a class and her upbringing would be different to the young girl’s as they young girl is privileged and was most likely born into the high class.

They are a few ideas, if you need more help just ask or PM me :smile:

Hey , I meant question 4 for the silk factory extract. Sorry I’m new to this I should have started a new thread perhaps .
Original post by Sb17890
Hey , I meant question 4 for the silk factory extract. Sorry I’m new to this I should have started a new thread perhaps .

So sorry! Completely my fault, I have another thread where people have been asking about this other extract I have been doing and am completely confused!
Question 4 - I somewhat disagree.
Don't have access to the question paper, what is the question please?
(edited 3 years ago)
So sorry! Completely my fault, I have another thread where people have been asking about this other extract I have been doing and am completely confused!
Question 4 - I somewhat disagree.
Don't have access to the question paper, what is the question please?

The question is a student saying “they weren’t surprised by the little girls disappearance
Do you agree/disagree with the statement?
Find evidence that supports your viewpoint.
e.g
'there was something animal-like in her movements'
'quick, like the darting of a mouse'
This suggests that she could have ran away quickly and therefore disappeared.
Reply 14

omg mate u are a life saver im going back on the 19th of this month and have a mock in the morning do you mind telling me all the questions if you dont mind

thanks
Original post by Kaifh
omg mate u are a life saver im going back on the 19th of this month and have a mock in the morning do you mind telling me all the questions if you dont mind

thanks

Well you always know the basis of what the questions will be in a Language Paper One.
Q1 - List 4 things about the _____ e.g. the young girl or Rosie
Q2 - How does the writer use language to _____? e.g. to describe the children, or the young girl or the garden
Q3 - How does the writer use structure to interest the reader?
Q4 - To what extent do you agree? A student has said: "......" e.g. "that they weren't surprised by the girl's disappearance".

But remember you can only practice for language, you can't remember these Qs/As off by heart, like until you get into the exam and read the extract you won't know what to put, if that makes sense.
But practice papers do help :smile:
Reply 16
Well you always know the basis of what the questions will be in a Language Paper One.
Q1 - List 4 things about the _____ e.g. the young girl or Rosie
Q2 - How does the writer use language to _____? e.g. to describe the children, or the young girl or the garden
Q3 - How does the writer use structure to interest the reader?
Q4 - To what extent do you agree? A student has said: "......" e.g. "that they weren't surprised by the girl's disappearance".

But remember you can only practice for language, you can't remember these Qs/As off by heart, like until you get into the exam and read the extract you won't know what to put, if that makes sense.
But practice papers do help :smile:

thanks a lot appreciate it!!!
Hello can anyone help me with q2 as I can’t find any good annotations and they’re meaning of the use of those specific words
To be honest, I can’t remember exactly what I put. And can’t remember the extract too well with structure. But these are some idea, not the best ones though. Maybe try doing another practice paper as well to help. The writer zooms in onto the description of the garden. This interests the reader because it it makes them want to read on, as the garden is rather mysterious with ‘broken bricks’ and ‘trees that snarled’. When Rosie first sees the girl, this is a pivotal moment in the source, interesting the reader and making them want to find out who this girl is and why she is there in the ‘unfamiliar garden’.

Hello, i hope you are good. I need help with Q3,4 and 5. I have got the paper and extract. Can you possible message me on instagram @RealMabh ?
Original post by insta - RealMABH
Hello, i hope you are good. I need help with Q3,4 and 5. I have got the paper and extract. Can you possible message me on instagram @RealMabh ?

Hi, I am happy to help you, but could you please PM on private messages on StudentRoom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending