The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

International student from Singapore

Subject - Physics
College - Probably St Catz
GCSEs - Singapore has a different grading system for O-Levels. Got 9 A1s and 1 B3. I'm assuming A1 is basically a 9 and B3 is equivalent to 7?
A-Levels: Math, Further Math, Physics, Economics
Predictions - No prediction yet but hoping to have 4 distinctions
Why Oxford - Would like to study overseas for uni and Oxford seems like a good place.
Why that college - Love the modern architecture there but seems that a lot of people hate it. lol
Original post by Culver
It’s my pleasure - I felt exactly the same last year! It was actually Oxford Mum who inspired me to go for it as her son got into Oxford with somewhat similar grades to these as well. After you get an interview (provided nothing else comes up that could effect your interview performance, which sadly happened in my case), your interview is judged solely on your academic merit and your potential. I haven’t heard of any cases of extenuating circumstances being brought up (and they weren’t in my case either!) only classic interview questions about your subject and your personal statement.

I got a place at Oriel, hence why azby is talking about it! I couldn’t agree more with what Oxford Mum has said about it - all of the stuff about it being a “Tory college” is merely a stereotype due to its history and age. From the social media chats I’ve been added to outside of TSR on Instagram and places like that, the vast majority of Oriel offer holders, like me, are not Tories! All I can say is that so far, everyone that I’ve talked to in the college has been absolutely brilliant. Before the interview, as I stated my circumstances on the ucas form, the mental health officer/coordinator of the college emailed me personally and asked me if I needed anything for the interviews. Moreover, when a family tragedy came up three days before my interview, the head of the college emailed me himself with his condolences and asked again if there was anything he could do to make the interview process easier. When I did my interviewers, every single interviewer I had was extremely nice, welcoming and interested in my opinions and what I had to say. The head of the college even phoned me up after I emailed him with a query about my application (they had deferred my offer as there was no room for me that year but still wanted to take me!)

Overall, I couldn’t recommend oriel enough. It’s your choice as to where you apply, of course, but never be put off by age or stereotypes of political bias - they’re mostly not true! Best of luck to you!

Hi Culver!

Lovely to speak to you again. Persuading you to apply to Oxford (although I didn't know I was doing it at the time) I count as one of my finest hours.

The fact that you overcame your circumstances to ace the interview shows you to be an outstanding candidate and a very brave one, as well.

The best way you can test whether a college is truly great is when times are tough.

My son was getting funny pains in his first term at Oriel, but didn't know why. His worried medical colleague took him to see the Oriel college nurse. She took one look at him, told him he had appendicitis, and called an ambulance. His appendix burst before he got to the operating table, so this speedy reaction probably saved his life.

My elder son went straight to the hospital from his home in Southampton, with nowhere to stay. The dean let him have my son's room, then for the next day or so found him an emergency room in the college, so he didn't have to book a hotel. He also came round the next day to make sure elder son was OK. He was sent home to stay with me, but was told he wouldn't have to rusticate (repeat the year).

When he was due to leave hospital, his friends came to pick him up in a taxi. The Orielenses in the year above lent him their notes so he could catch up.

Whenever I land in the porter's lodge, they say "welcome to Oriel" and they call my son "part of the Oriel family".

This is why I will never hesitate to recommend Oriel to others.
Original post by WalkerXin
International student from Singapore

Subject - Physics
College - Probably St Catz
GCSEs - Singapore has a different grading system for O-Levels. Got 9 A1s and 1 B3. I'm assuming A1 is basically a 9 and B3 is equivalent to 7?
A-Levels: Math, Further Math, Physics, Economics
Predictions - No prediction yet but hoping to have 4 distinctions
Why Oxford - Would like to study overseas for uni and Oxford seems like a good place.
Why that college - Love the modern architecture there but seems that a lot of people hate it. lol

Hi there @WalkerXin It doesn't matter if other people hate it, as long as you like it! I think St Catz gives off a very relaxed vibe. It's for people who want to go to Oxford, but for it not to feel stuffy.

Here is the Physics chapter of Oxford Demystified for you:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88279630&highlight=Oxford%20Demystified%20-%20Physics
Domestic applicant from midlands

Subject - PPE
College - maybe Lincoln, it is very pretty and I like the deep hall bar. Also quite small, central, ensuite bathrooms, and seems friendly
GCSEs - 9999999999 (took additional maths but school said not enough evidence to give us a grade in it, I just let it go as it didnt seem hugely important)
A levels - Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History
Predictions - none get but current grades are A*AA*A - would hope A*AA*A*
Why oxford - tutorials, flexibility of the PPE course, city is beautiful. (also just seems less rigid and stuffy than Cambridge)
Private school, but I'd say it is quite small/grounded (not like some of them)
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
Domestic applicant from midlands

Subject - PPE
College - maybe Lincoln, it is very pretty and I like the deep hall bar. Also quite small, central, ensuite bathrooms, and seems friendly
GCSEs - 9999999999 (took additional maths but school said not enough evidence to give us a grade in it, I just let it go as it didnt seem hugely important)
A levels - Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History
Predictions - none get but current grades are A*AA*A - would hope A*AA*A*
Why oxford - tutorials, flexibility of the PPE course, city is beautiful. (also just seems less rigid and stuffy than Cambridge)
Private school, but I'd say it is quite small/grounded (not like some of them)

Welcome to this thread.

Here is the PPE chapter of Oxford Demystified for you:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6436380
Course - economics and management
College - Christ Church
A levels - Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry
Additional qualifications - EPQ on financial markets
Predicted: Econ (A*) Maths (A*) Further Maths (A*/A) Chem (A)
GCSE grades: 9 9s, 1 8 and 1 7
Why Oxford? - Like the idea of tutorials and spending time with top academics in groups of 2 or 3. Really like the options the e+m course offers. Love the city.
Grammar school

Hi everyone, I have already done 2 MOOCs, relevant work experience, a few essay competitions, read a few relevent books and run my school's economics society. How could I strengthen my application even more?
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi Sophie!

Yes, Oriel is nicknamed "Toriel" but this is because it is a small, rather understated college. It's not what you may call loud or outrageous.

Last year it took the fifth highest state school intake. My son has received nothing but kindness at the hands of the students and the staff. The last protegee I had was from state school and I recommended Oriel. He is now a fresher and loves it.

It is very beautiful aesthetically and it's entrance is tucked down a sidestreet, so very, very few tourists.

I would truly, truly recommend Oriel from the bottom of my heart.

@azby1098 thanks for the tag

wow! That really does sound promising :smile: This has really helped me to put Oriel as a serious contender! I took a look at the virtual tour after your suggestion and it IS so beautiful too!
Original post by Culver
It’s my pleasure - I felt exactly the same last year! It was actually Oxford Mum who inspired me to go for it as her son got into Oxford with somewhat similar grades to these as well. After you get an interview (provided nothing else comes up that could effect your interview performance, which sadly happened in my case), your interview is judged solely on your academic merit and your potential. I haven’t heard of any cases of extenuating circumstances being brought up (and they weren’t in my case either!) only classic interview questions about your subject and your personal statement.

I got a place at Oriel, hence why azby is talking about it! I couldn’t agree more with what Oxford Mum has said about it - all of the stuff about it being a “Tory college” is merely a stereotype due to its history and age. From the social media chats I’ve been added to outside of TSR on Instagram and places like that, the vast majority of Oriel offer holders, like me, are not Tories! All I can say is that so far, everyone that I’ve talked to in the college has been absolutely brilliant. Before the interview, as I stated my circumstances on the ucas form, the mental health officer/coordinator of the college emailed me personally and asked me if I needed anything for the interviews. Moreover, when a family tragedy came up three days before my interview, the head of the college emailed me himself with his condolences and asked again if there was anything he could do to make the interview process easier. When I did my interviewers, every single interviewer I had was extremely nice, welcoming and interested in my opinions and what I had to say. The head of the college even phoned me up after I emailed him with a query about my application (they had deferred my offer as there was no room for me that year but still wanted to take me!)

Overall, I couldn’t recommend oriel enough. It’s your choice as to where you apply, of course, but never be put off by age or stereotypes of political bias - they’re mostly not true! Best of luck to you!

Honestly I was so adamant I would never apply but I don't know... as we went into 2021, I think everything with COVID made me realise that life is too short and now I think I could never forgive myself if I didn't at least try and my English teacher told me the same. I've had such a bad time in the past and I think having the chance to study the subject I adore at such a prestigious institution would just be amazing. Thanks for the reassurance for interviews... I'm kind of nervous but I'm trying to tell myself I can cross that bridge when I get to it ha ha. I want to focus on making the best application possible in terms of the bits I can control (ie, my personal statement, ELAT and written work)

It's good to hear that the "Tory" stereotype is just that. I am hugely Left-Wing and whilst I am very much a tolerant person... I think I'd feel really uncomfortable surrounded by majority Right-Wing peers. Oh and another thing.... have you heard anything about the LGBTQ+ scene at Oriel? That would be really important to me :smile:

Honestly, the way they've treated you sounds amazing! That's the kind of support and understanding that I think would be beneficial for a candidate like me - especially in terms of my mental and physical health issues. The staff sound really accommodating!
Original post by August08
Hey mate, focus on your TSA - a few this year got 80+ but were rejected pre-interview.

Thanks. The TSA sounds daunting and the only material i have found online is the 10-odd past papers, do you know any resources to start doing now without depleting the tests that I intend to use closer to the time?
Reply 469
Hello everyone. :smile: I’ve got some virtual lectures lined up with tutors from Magdalen College for English Lit (and also Oriental studies because I was curious and I had to give a second choice) on Friday and I was wondering if anybody could advise me on how to make the most of them for my personal statement.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pichi
Hello everyone. :smile: I’ve got some virtual lectures lined up with tutors from Magdalen College for English Lit (and also Oriental studies because I was curious and I had to give a second choice) on Friday and I was wondering if anybody could advise me on how to make the most of them for my personal statement.

Hi, I was just wondering how you can get involved in virtual lectures? That's something I'd be really interested in... especially for English! :smile:
Original post by Sophiemariexx13
Honestly I was so adamant I would never apply but I don't know... as we went into 2021, I think everything with COVID made me realise that life is too short and now I think I could never forgive myself if I didn't at least try and my English teacher told me the same. I've had such a bad time in the past and I think having the chance to study the subject I adore at such a prestigious institution would just be amazing. Thanks for the reassurance for interviews... I'm kind of nervous but I'm trying to tell myself I can cross that bridge when I get to it ha ha. I want to focus on making the best application possible in terms of the bits I can control (ie, my personal statement, ELAT and written work)

It's good to hear that the "Tory" stereotype is just that. I am hugely Left-Wing and whilst I am very much a tolerant person... I think I'd feel really uncomfortable surrounded by majority Right-Wing peers. Oh and another thing.... have you heard anything about the LGBTQ+ scene at Oriel? That would be really important to me :smile:

Honestly, the way they've treated you sounds amazing! That's the kind of support and understanding that I think would be beneficial for a candidate like me - especially in terms of my mental and physical health issues. The staff sound really accommodating!

I don't go to Oriel so don't want to speak above these people - but I would note that whilst the stereotype is mostly a stereotype and the student body are generally cool as far as I know, some of the higher up college management are a bit resistant to change. (See: the whole deal with the Rhodes statue, charging international students a lot to quarantine there, I think the MCR might have voted to remove their BME rep). Obviously wouldn't want you to change your mind but I think there is some grain of truth in the stereotypes of Oriel as a more right wing and conservative college, just from personal experience.

Molly at Oxford is a Youtuber who went to Oriel for Classics and English if you're interested in watching some of her videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/readingismycupoftea

On the LGBTQ+ side, I don’t think Oriel has a trans rep but they do have an LGBTQ+ rep! This rep will organise events for the college LGBTQ+ community 😊 (If you have any more questions about LGBTQ+ student life feel free to ask me as well!)
Reply 472
Hi, I was just wondering how you can get involved in virtual lectures? That's something I'd be really interested in... especially for English! :smile:

I have no idea. My form tutor sent the sign up form to my tutor group on Teams but I’m guessing he either found it on the college website or someone from the university emailed him about it (as he’s an Oxford alumnus, so I guess he talks to people there?).

Unfortunately, the sign up for the lectures next week closed three weeks ago and I’m not allowed to share the link for safeguarding reasons apparently. But I did see people on the 2021 thread for English Lit talk about masterclasses at Cambridge or something at one point (I think those are £20 to attend though, I’m not sure). I’ve never attended a lecture before, hence the reason as to why I wanted to go to a free one first (and also I don’t want my parents to know where I’m considering applying either yet or ask them for money either :redface:).

Check the college websites for both universities often as I have seen them arrange widening access events like these before. If I find out they’re organising more events like these in the future then I’ll let you and the people on this thread know. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pichi
I have no idea. My form tutor sent the sign up form to my tutor group on Teams but I’m guessing he either found it on the college website or someone from the university emailed him about it (as he’s an Oxford alumnus, so I guess he talks to people there?).

Unfortunately, the sign up for the lectures next week closed three weeks ago and I’m not allowed to share the link for safeguarding reasons apparently. But I did see people on the 2021 thread for English Lit talk about masterclasses at Cambridge or something at one point (I think those are £20 to attend though, I’m not sure). I’ve never attended a lecture before, hence the reason as to why I wanted to go to a free one first (and also I don’t want my parents to know where I’m considering applying either yet or ask them for money either :redface:).

Check the college websites for both universities often as I have seen them arrange widening access events like these before. If I find out they’re organising more events like these in the future then I’ll let you and the people on this thread know. :smile:

Oh right okay no worries! Thanks for letting me know :smile: I'll keep a look out on the websites for any future opportunities x

Yes, I would absolutely recommend applying, whether it’s to Oriel or to another college! You never know until you try, and like you said, you’ll be wondering whether you could have got in or not for the rest of your life!

I’ve haven’t heard a lot about things actually at the college about the LGBTQ scene (not because there isn’t anything, but just because I haven’t looked into it myself!) but something I can say is that there are definitely a lot of people from the community in the Oriel chat I’m in, and everyone gets along really well! The majority of people in the chat (I say the majority because I haven’t talked to absolutely everyone in the chat) is very left wing in their views, so I’m sure you’d fit in! However, as someone has already suggested, definitely watch some of Molly at Oxford’s videos, as I don’t go to Oriel yet and I’m only talking about experiences I’ve have of email, phone and Instagram conversations I’ve had with other offer holders and tutors/staff!
Exeter college is very good for lgbt+
Guys what college do you recommend I have a look at, I want to study medicine, I go to a private school. I’m a Tory (I say this because family and friends have told me some colleges are more left wing and some are more right wing). I enjoy football, boxing, lifting. Any recommendations would be welcomed
Original post by RamseyGOAT
I’m a Tory (I say this because family and friends have told me some colleges are more left wing and some are more right wing).

^ :rofl: - lmao. This honestly just made my day

@Oxford Mum, any comment? :biggrin:
does anyone know what a decent score is for the TSA? it’s the first year they’ve used the TSA for geography since 2017 so i don’t know what a good score is for geography.

because i’m just starting my prep, i thought i might as well give a paper a go to see my starting point. i haven’t done any prep or read up any methods on good tricks for the test yet.

i did the 2016 test, with no time restrictions (this will lower my score), and i got 70.1 overall.

this seems like a great score for my first try but of course the TSA is a matter of speed or endurance.

is this a good sign that i have the right logical mind to actual tackle the style of questions, and hopefully i can maintain this and build up speed? and does anyone have any tips for building up speed or read anything?

@Oxford Mum - I need to read your chapter on this!!

hoping to apply to either mansfield or keble for geography (re-applicant)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Oxford Mum
Exeter college is very good for lgbt+

so is wadham apparently

Latest

Trending

Trending