The Student Room Group

I don't want to live with my family anymore. Any Ideas?

I'm 18 and I've been stuck at home (like many) since school finished, and lockdown began over a year ago. (As I took a year out, I haven't even had the chance of escaping to university.) I will be starting university this year but I'm really sick of living at home with my family. It's damaging my mental health and I feel so stuck. It suddenly really hit me when I imagined a whole other summer like this. I want to get out and I don't want to wait until September. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18 and I've been stuck at home (like many) since school finished, and lockdown began over a year ago. (As I took a year out, I haven't even had the chance of escaping to university.) I will be starting university this year but I'm really sick of living at home with my family. It's damaging my mental health and I feel so stuck. It suddenly really hit me when I imagined a whole other summer like this. I want to get out and I don't want to wait until September. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

Butlins look for staff for the summer.

https://butlinscareers.co.uk/
You'll probably need some income either from benefits or a job to get your own place somewhere, a flat share with a few other people can be do-able but it depends on your area and how cheap rent is there in general. Biggest problem might be that a lot of places will want a 6 month lease and that could be longer than you'd need it for now.

Any other family or friends you could stay with?
Look for a job
Original post by tinygirl96
Look for a job

easier said than done
Try and find a job and know right now it will difficult but do apply. Try and find a flat share which also in some areas is hard.
Reply 6
If you have the income to rent a room in a shared house, that may help. You might be able to negotiate a short lease.

A friend of mine volunteers at a Covid testing centre. My house volunteers at a food bank.
Maybe volunteering could help and get you out the house
Dear young adult, I am not going to ask questions how you came to this situation. Why do not you start to work for a few months in some market shop save some money and become a volunteer in a warm country? You can travel as a volunteer even now.Wish you good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest