The Student Room Group

Postgraduate in Egyptology

I'm planning to apply masters in Egyptology, but have no background in the course or archaeology before. My undergraduate was Arabic Literature. Will that be okay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ulayyaa
I'm planning to apply masters in Egyptology, but have no background in the course or archaeology before. My undergraduate was Arabic Literature. Will that be okay?

A quick search on the following page shows the following:
https://www.postgraduatesearch.com/pgs/search?course=egyptology&qualification=masters

Most places are asking for a relevant undergrad. This could be Classics, History, or Archeology. I don't think Arabic Literature falls under that, but it doesn't hurt to contact the universities to double check. I think only Camrbidge's MPhil is the only degree that does not specify a specific undergrad, but you might want to check this first.

Should your undergrad not be suitable, I have found 2 PG Diplomas you can apply for that could get you into Egyptology:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught-degrees/archaeology-grad-dip
https://le.ac.uk/courses/archaeology-and-heritage-ma-dl/2020

Strangely, I haven't found anything for Classics or History PG Dips though. You might also want to double check on whether the 2 degrees would make you eligible for the MA/MRes/MPhil programs in Egyptology as well.

Since there are only 9 masters that would be directly related in the UK, and 4 that are semi-related, it shouldn't take you too long to go through all of them.
Original post by Ulayyaa

You should be fine, as long as you are prepared to have an intense year where you will probably have to sit in on UG classes as well as your MA ones to catch up. I know people who have completed the course with BA degrees in History, English Literature, Philosophy, and Drama, so your degree background definitely isn't unusual in that sense.

Are you hoping to start in September? Be aware that some deadlines for Egyptology courses have already passed, or are coming up very soon.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
A quick search on the following page shows the following:
https://www.postgraduatesearch.com/pgs/search?course=egyptology&qualification=masters

Most places are asking for a relevant undergrad. This could be Classics, History, or Archeology. I don't think Arabic Literature falls under that, but it doesn't hurt to contact the universities to double check. I think only Camrbidge's MPhil is the only degree that does not specify a specific undergrad, but you might want to check this first.

Should your undergrad not be suitable, I have found 2 PG Diplomas you can apply for that could get you into Egyptology:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught-degrees/archaeology-grad-dip
https://le.ac.uk/courses/archaeology-and-heritage-ma-dl/2020

Strangely, I haven't found anything for Classics or History PG Dips though. You might also want to double check on whether the 2 degrees would make you eligible for the MA/MRes/MPhil programs in Egyptology as well.

Since there are only 9 masters that would be directly related in the UK, and 4 that are semi-related, it shouldn't take you too long to go through all of them.

Thank you very much for the information, really helping. I'll consider my choices. And now that you mentioned it... I wonder why didn't I ask the uni at the first time lol. Thanks again!
Reply 4
Original post by Sandtrooper
You should be fine, as long as you are prepared to have an intense year where you will probably have to sit in on UG classes as well as your MA ones to catch up. I know people who have completed the course with BA degrees in History, English Literature, Philosophy, and Drama, so your degree background definitely isn't unusual in that sense.

Are you hoping to start in September? Be aware that some deadlines for Egyptology courses have already passed, or are coming up very soon.

So they're sit in on UG classes without applying to affiliate or anything? That's relieving.

Well, I just finish my bachelors last Feb and the graduation is about May. At first I was hoping to start masters in September, but most graduate programs are already closed. So if I can't find any this year, I'll try next year.
Original post by Ulayyaa
So they're sit in on UG classes without applying to affiliate or anything? That's relieving.

Well, I just finish my bachelors last Feb and the graduation is about May. At first I was hoping to start masters in September, but most graduate programs are already closed. So if I can't find any this year, I'll try next year.

Yes, but you also have to do it on top of the MA classes, so be aware that it will be very busy.

As far as I am aware, Cambridge is still open to applications for another few weeks: https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/aaarmpegy

Liverpool is also open: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/taught/egyptology-ma/overview/

Swansea is open: https://www.postgraduatesearch.com/swansea-university/52333050/postgraduate-course.htm

UCL is open: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught-degrees/archaeology-heritage-egypt-middle-east-ma

UWTSD is open: https://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/ma-ancient-civilisations/

Birmingham is open: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/taught/caha/antiquity-egyptology.aspx
Original post by Ulayyaa

If you want to apply to any of the courses this year, you will need to get in touch with a supervisor or member of staff ASAP at the universities you are interested in. Don't apply without speaking to them first and explaining your background, i.e. you haven't studied Egyptology before.

You will need to discuss a research topic and thesis idea with them, as this is the main component of any masters degree in this area.
Reply 7

Thank you very much for the links! I'll check them 1 by 1. Anyway, thanks too for answering my question on the st.Edmund's thread.

I read in Cambridge requirements, there's a research proposal. So that's mean we have to already know something that we want to research about?

And one more... what do you think if I take a PGDip or PGCert in Archaeology? Will that counts as a background in relevant study?
Reply 8
If you want to apply to any of the courses this year, you will need to get in touch with a supervisor or member of staff ASAP at the universities you are interested in. Don't apply without speaking to them first and explaining your background, i.e. you haven't studied Egyptology before.

You will need to discuss a research topic and thesis idea with them, as this is the main component of any masters degree in this area.

I see... Thanks again for your help. I'll try to contact them via... inquiry email maybe? will that works?
Original post by Ulayyaa
Thank you very much for the links! I'll check them 1 by 1. Anyway, thanks too for answering my question on the st.Edmund's thread.

I read in Cambridge requirements, there's a research proposal. So that's mean we have to already know something that we want to research about?

And one more... what do you think if I take a PGDip or PGCert in Archaeology? Will that counts as a background in relevant study?

No worries.

Yes, you will have to have at least some idea of what you will want to research - you can change it a little as you go along, but that's why I recommended speaking to a member of staff first, as they can give you some guidance on it.

You can take that course, but I don't think you need to, as you already have a degree. If you have an idea for a research project, and good grades, so that they can see your potential to write an masters thesis, you can get admitted directly to most masters courses in Egyptology. If you don't get accepted by any of them, then you could apply for a PGDip or PGCert and then reapply to a masters in a year's time, but in all honesty, I don't think it's necessary.
Original post by Ulayyaa
I see... Thanks again for your help. I'll try to contact them via... inquiry email maybe? will that works?

Yes, email them. Do you have any idea as to what area you want to research? I'm happy to give you some guidance over who would be a good supervisor.
Reply 11
Yes, email them. Do you have any idea as to what area you want to research? I'm happy to give you some guidance over who would be a good supervisor.

Still a vague idea. Like... the connection between Ancient Egypt history and the prophets, you know. Haven't really found any discussions about that and I want to discover it myself. Is that a good idea?

Or maybe you have some suggestions, examples of the area of research, or anything?
Original post by Ulayyaa
Still a vague idea. Like... the connection between Ancient Egypt history and the prophets, you know. Haven't really found any discussions about that and I want to discover it myself. Is that a good idea?

Or maybe you have some suggestions, examples of the area of research, or anything?

Okay, I think this is something you need to research yourself, at least a little before you contact people, as you need to be prepared to write 15,000 - 20,000 words on your topic in a year. I'm not sure what you mean by 'history and the prophets' so I can't really advise you there.

Research topics are very specific and I can't really help you come up with ideas because it has to be something you are interested in and want to do. I definitely think you should do some background reading and research these ideas more. Once you do that, I'm more than happy to help guide you with some examples or types of research, but you need a focus first.

A course you might be interested in is Manchester's UGCert jn Egyptology, hy the way.
Reply 13
Okay, I think this is something you need to research yourself, at least a little before you contact people, as you need to be prepared to write 15,000 - 20,000 words on your topic in a year. I'm not sure what you mean by 'history and the prophets' so I can't really advise you there.

Research topics are very specific and I can't really help you come up with ideas because it has to be something you are interested in and want to do. I definitely think you should do some background reading and research these ideas more. Once you do that, I'm more than happy to help guide you with some examples or types of research, but you need a focus first.

A course you might be interested in is Manchester's UGCert jn Egyptology, hy the way.

Yeah, I know. I still have much to learn. Thanks for your help, I'll try to read more and think about the research. Once I've done that, someday, can I ask you here again?
Original post by Ulayyaa
Yeah, I know. I still have much to learn. Thanks for your help, I'll try to read more and think about the research. Once I've done that, someday, can I ask you here again?

Of course, ask whenever you like!
Reply 15
Of course, ask whenever you like!

Umm I want to ask, which one between Ancient Egyptian and Akkadian language is closer to Arabic?

I added Assyriology as my consideration too, btw. Since I've already have knowledge about Arabic and philology, I think I can focused on the language area, like texts and all.
Original post by Ulayyaa
Umm I want to ask, which one between Ancient Egyptian and Akkadian language is closer to Arabic?

I added Assyriology as my consideration too, btw. Since I've already have knowledge about Arabic and philology, I think I can focused on the language area, like texts and all.

Hard to say. They're both from different language families and Arabic has elements of both of those families. Coptic is closer to ancient Egyptian grammatitically.

Be aware that most universities will only let you do Egyptology OR Assyriology at masters level, unless your topic is working on international relations between them both or something. It might be possible to learn them both at masters level, but very challenging, and you will still need a thesis topic to focus on.

At Cambridge, for example, if you applied for Egyptology, you will have your classes prescribed for you because you don't have a background in the subject, which would leave you no choice but to not take Assyriology. The same is the case at Liverpool. I don't think Swansea, UWTSD or Birmingham offer Assyriology, it's too late this year for Oxford, and UCL might, but you'd have to check very carefully. For someone without a background in either subject, it would be very difficult to learn two ancient languages and all about their cultures in a year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Hard to say. They're both from different language families and Arabic has elements of both of those families. Coptic is closer to ancient Egyptian grammatitically.

Be aware that most universities will only let you do Egyptology OR Assyriology at masters level, unless your topic is working on international relations between them both or something. It might be possible to learn them both at masters level, but very challenging, and you will still need a thesis topic to focus on.

At Cambridge, for example, if you applied for Egyptology, you will have your classes prescribed for you because you don't have a background in the subject, which would leave you no choice but to not take Assyriology. The same is the case at Liverpool. I don't think Swansea, UWTSD or Birmingham offer Assyriology, it's too late this year for Oxford, and UCL might, but you'd have to check very carefully. For someone without a background in either subject, it would be very difficult to learn two ancient languages and all about their cultures in a year.

I see... thanks again for the help. I thought they'll quite similar in grammar or vocabularies.

Yeah, I wouldn't learn them both in the same time. Can't imagine how it'd be. I found an online diploma course that --hopefully-- will help me understand the basic first, and I changed my plan about going this year.
Original post by Ulayyaa
I see... thanks again for the help. I thought they'll quite similar in grammar or vocabularies.

Yeah, I wouldn't learn them both in the same time. Can't imagine how it'd be. I found an online diploma course that --hopefully-- will help me understand the basic first, and I changed my plan about going this year.

Okay. Overall, whichever you choose, the main thing you need to focus on is getting able to write a research proposal and then a thesis, not the languages.

To be honest, I think spending money on a diploma is a waste of money, because you can self-teach or read a lot of the content, and then wait until you enroll to study the languages, or even attend shorter, cheaper courses like with the EES for hieroglyphs.

Best of luck with whatever course you choose. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ulayyaa

Manchester has just opened up a large number of online courses, for £270 each: https://www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/egyptology/study/short-courses/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending