The Student Room Group

How much can i earn as a degree apprentice?

is it under £30,000?
(edited 3 years ago)
The salary will entirely depend on both the job and the employer.

Searching for vacancies within the sector or with the same role title would be a good 'rough indicator'. But ultimately, you'd enter a contract of employment- so your salary is something that would be specific to the role and something discussed and or negotiated during the recruitment stages.
Original post by manddymcgrath23
is it under £30,000?

starting salaries for apprentices (level 4 to 7) are usually from £14k - £30k, and after 4 years its usually between £25k - £60k
Original post by 48Percent
The salary will entirely depend on both the job and the employer.

Searching for vacancies within the sector or with the same role title would be a good 'rough indicator'. But ultimately, you'd enter a contract of employment- so your salary is something that would be specific to the role and something discussed and or negotiated during the recruitment stages.

Thank you - I've been looking at the same role elsewhere, because I am classified as an 'apprentice' the employer can justify paying 65% below the market rate of someone who's doing the same role but without the word 'apprentice' in their title! However, I have been with the company since 2018 as a higher apprentice and now doing a degree with them (second year). Do you think I should see the degree through till the end of 2023 or leave now to get my market rate + pay to do a top-up degree alongside the new job?
Thank you - I've been looking at the same role elsewhere, because I am classified as an 'apprentice' the employer can justify paying 65% below the market rate of someone who's doing the same role but without the word 'apprentice' in their title! However, I have been with the company since 2018 as a higher apprentice and now doing a degree with them (second year). Do you think I should see the degree through till the end of 2023 or leave now to get my market rate + pay to do a top-up degree alongside the new job?

@Gent2324 your opinion is valued as well - thanks

It's completely up to you of course. Me personally- if I had gone that far I'd definitely want to stick it out until the end to reap the rewards of my perseverance and efforts. With that said, if you feel doing a top-up would yield you more value in the long run, I wouldn't view that as a negative option.

One thing to note is that if you finish, you'll not have the £80,000 debt that I accrued; one of the great perks of a degree apprenticeship!
Original post by 48Percent
It's completely up to you of course. Me personally- if I had gone that far I'd definitely want to stick it out until the end to reap the rewards of my perseverance and efforts. With that said, if you feel doing a top-up would yield you more value in the long run, I wouldn't view that as a negative option.

One thing to note is that if you finish, you'll not have the £80,000 debt that I accrued; one of the great perks of a degree apprenticeship!

The no student debt from degree apprenticeship is a massive perk and completely agree with you but I just feel unhappy/undervalued there now. Also, with the top-up degree, it is only £7,000 or £466 for 15 months which should be a slither of my potential new salary at a new job but I don't know if I'll be able to balance an experienced hire full-time job + a part-time top-up degree it might be too hard... However, I would be earning much more than my current apprentice salary which makes me feel better
Reply 7
The no student debt from degree apprenticeship is a massive perk and completely agree with you but I just feel unhappy/undervalued there now. Also, with the top-up degree, it is only £7,000 or £466 for 15 months which should be a slither of my potential new salary at a new job but I don't know if I'll be able to balance an experienced hire full-time job + a part-time top-up degree it might be too hard... However, I would be earning much more than my current apprentice salary which makes me feel better

It's frustrating that your employer uses the 'apprenticeship' title in that way. I have been in a similar situation where I had the option to continue with my higher apprenticeship qualification or progress to a more senior, permanent position with better pay. I chose to stop the apprenticeship and move into a more lucrative role. Whilst it is very much dependant on the industry you are in, I feel employers value experience over qualifications.

It does sound like you're keen to carry on with the qualification though! I've always thought that the degree apprenticeship qualification would be a great talking point for any future interviews!

2+ years is a long time to feel undervalued in a company! I'd definitely encourage you too look elsewhere.

Best of luck and I'm sure everything will work out well!! :smile:

Steven
Original post by 19lewiss
It's frustrating that your employer uses the 'apprenticeship' title in that way. I have been in a similar situation where I had the option to continue with my higher apprenticeship qualification or progress to a more senior, permanent position with better pay. I chose to stop the apprenticeship and move into a more lucrative role. Whilst it is very much dependant on the industry you are in, I feel employers value experience over qualifications.

It does sound like you're keen to carry on with the qualification though! I've always thought that the degree apprenticeship qualification would be a great talking point for any future interviews!

2+ years is a long time to feel undervalued in a company! I'd definitely encourage you too look elsewhere.

Best of luck and I'm sure everything will work out well!! :smile:

Steven

Gentle reminder that the employer is paying for the degree in its entirety. It's not a profitable venture by any means, so it only stands to reason that the salary takes a hit when compared to someone else from the organisation who is not an apprentice.

It is a discussion I have had many times over the last few years- as many people (not you) believe that Apprenticeships are a way for Employers to make 'easy money' and get 'cheap labour'. When in actuality, Employers only get support with the costs of the training- they do not get wages and employee benefits supplemented by the government. I believe the salary is one of the main reasons for @manddymcgrath23's view of being undervalued.

I definitely echo your point about experience trumping qualification, though. Apprenticeships are meant to help you get your foot on the ladder- if an opportunity were to swing my way, and I were an Apprentice- I'd drop everything to pursue it. I have some Apprenticeship applications of my own pending review for this month, where I am prepared to leave my current job (ironically, I work within the Apprenticeship Service) to pursue on-the-job experience for the specific field I'm interested in.

And I also wholeheartedly agree about your point that @manddymcgrath23 should definitely let prospective employers know that some progress has been completed on a degree programme, during interviews (and during applications!). Having a list of completed modules would be valuable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending