The Student Room Group

Business

Hi, is business a good a-level? And what careers can it lead me to?

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I almost took business A-Level but then switched it to Economics at the last minute, when i realised some universities don't accept business. In my first few weeks of business A-Level i found it quite similar to business GCSE, so quite repetitive. But if you didn't do the GCSE it should be alright.
I guess it can lead you into anything business related, or accountancy, management type jobs.
Reply 2
Yeah that’s exactly what I’m worried about because I also heard that some university’s don’t accept it. But thank you anyways!! I’ll think about it!
If u took it what is it like so far
Original post by 🧡Hajera
If u took it what is it like so far

Hiya I am a year 13 student who takes business A level and would be happy to answer any questions you have :smile:
Original post by Annice2021
Hi,
I almost took business A-Level but then switched it to Economics at the last minute, when i realised some universities don't accept business. In my first few weeks of business A-Level i found it quite similar to business GCSE, so quite repetitive. But if you didn't do the GCSE it should be alright.
I guess it can lead you into anything business related, or accountancy, management type jobs.

What universities don't take Business as an A-Level? Because I think that's misinformation.
Original post by something_orphic
Hiya I am a year 13 student who takes business A level and would be happy to answer any questions you have :smile:

Is there a lot of essays and maths?
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Is there a lot of essays and maths?

It is mostly essays but the maths is easy. Don't worry about the maths. I am awful at maths and have dyscalculia and its still pretty easy.

I suggest looking at a past paper to give you a good idea of what it is like but for the edexcel exam board there are 5 different types of questions:

4 markers: likely to be a maths question asking to work out something but can be a knowledge question
8 markers: 2 paragraphs long
10 markers: Same as an 8 marker but you have to also write a conclusion
12 markers: same as 10 markers but the conclusion is slightly longer and has to include something new (this will make sense if you actually do business)
20 markers: normally these are 5 paragraphs and then a conclusion with something new in it. For each section of the paper (there are two sections in each paper) you will only get one of these so don't worry.

As you can see the maths is minimal and there is a lot of essay writing.

I would to like to add that the previous posts in this thread I don't believe are correct. I have never heard of a uni that does not accept business A level and I know for a fact that places like Kings accept it. Also the first couple are GCSE related but then after that it stops repeating the GCSE content. Year 13 is more economics based with some overlap if that is something you are interested in.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:.
It is mostly essays but the maths is easy. Don't worry about the maths. I am awful at maths and have dyscalculia and its still pretty easy.

I suggest looking at a past paper to give you a good idea of what it is like but for the edexcel exam board there are 5 different types of questions:

4 markers: likely to be a maths question asking to work out something but can be a knowledge question
12 markers: same as 10 markers but the conclusion is slightly longer and has to include something new (this will make sense if you actually do business)
20 markers: normally these are 5 paragraphs and then a conclusion with something new in it. For each section of the paper (there are two sections in each paper) you will only get one of these so don't worry.

I would to like to add that the previous posts in this thread I don't believe are correct. I have never heard of a uni that does not accept business A level and I know for a fact that places like Kings accept it. Also the first couple are GCSE related but then after that it stops repeating the GCSE content. Year 13 is more economics based with some overlap if that is something you are interested in.

Okay tysm! I actually like maths so I was worried more about the essays :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Annice2021
Hi,

All unis accept business ? That’s a lie if someone told you otherwise , some unis don’t like you taking econ and business together but business is accepted everywhere
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Okay tysm! I actually like maths so I was worried more about the essays :smile:

Are you taking economics? That might be a good alternative if not. I would say that if you do decide to take business then they give you extracts which have data in them and sometimes there isn't a direct question correlating to the table. If you do 'extra' calculations and include them in your answer its easier to pick up marks. It really just depends on the paper and how you approach it personally.

They teach you a technique that is essentially formulaic for writing the essays. I believe its sort of the same across the exam boards. Its just point- develop 3x and then a drawback. So you make your point say this could mean that ... therefore.... thus... but this depends on/however.... and then thats your paragraph and you do the same thing for each paragraph. You don't have to be good at writing essays honestly. They are looking for the content.
Are you taking economics? That might be a good alternative if not. I would say that if you do decide to take business then they give you extracts which have data in them and sometimes there isn't a direct question correlating to the table. If you do 'extra' calculations and include them in your answer its easier to pick up marks. It really just depends on the paper and how you approach it personally.

They teach you a technique that is essentially formulaic for writing the essays. I believe its sort of the same across the exam boards. Its just point- develop 3x and then a drawback. So you make your point say this could mean that ... therefore.... thus... but this depends on/however.... and then thats your paragraph and you do the same thing for each paragraph. You don't have to be good at writing essays honestly. They are looking for the content.

No I’m not taking economics because I thing he business would be better suited for me as I want to work in advertising. I feel like essays make me dislike subjects unless if I’m enjoying what the content is about I guess. E.g I’m going to take media and I don’t like analysing in English but bc of the media content I feel like I’d like to analyse and write essays about it. Business interests me (especially marketing) but the essays could make me dislike it if I don’t rlly like the content of u get what I mean? That’s what I’m weary of
Original post by 🧡Hajera
No I’m not taking economics because I thing he business would be better suited for me as I want to work in advertising. I feel like essays make me dislike subjects unless if I’m enjoying what the content is about I guess. E.g I’m going to take media and I don’t like analysing in English but bc of the media content I feel like I’d like to analyse and write essays about it. Business interests me (especially marketing) but the essays could make me dislike it if I don’t rlly like the content of u get what I mean? That’s what I’m weary of

Yeah i get you. I mean i would look at the course content, try and find the syllabus for the exam board that your college/sixth form does. See if the content interests you.
Original post by 🧡Hajera

Just so you know the marketing part is a very small section , In my class we covered it for about 2 weeks and we had finished it
Original post by Tashax2
Just so you know the marketing part is a very small section , In my class we covered it for about 2 weeks and we had finished it

Oh so what is majority of the course spent on?? I’m interested mostly in the marketing and the finance sections
Yeah i get you. I mean i would look at the course content, try and find the syllabus for the exam board that your college/sixth form does. See if the content interests you.

Okay I’ll check thank u 😊
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Oh so what is majority of the course spent on?? I’m interested mostly in the marketing and the finance sections

You do spend time on them you cover like marketing finance HR global business but it’s all a bit of everything so I wouldn’t pick it if you’re just interested in one thing , as you cover everything in mini sections then once you’re done you’re done with it. It’s interesting tho I like it

Hi again, I’ve now gotten interested in alevel econ but I don’t know which is better for t he degree o wanna do: marketing with branding and pr

Should I take economics or business?
Obviously, I am not an expert so this is just my own opinion.

I would say it probably does not matter that much as people apply for those degrees with a range of subjects. It is a degree that doesn't require specific subjects so it would be down to whichever you think you would enjoy more. I suggest looking at the syllabus, seeing what it involves and seeing which one appeals to you more.

I would say business, in my opinion, ties in a bit more to the degree but both would be good choices tbh. Business is lighter on the maths content (the maths is pretty easy tbh) and there are topics on marketing and branding and the importance of that to a business. Just go and look at the syllabus really and maybe look at some past papers to see what the questions are like.

Also a word of advice: try and get some work experience, even if its virtual. When you get to college/sixth form and have a tutor ask about advice on that. There's a site called speakers for schools that the college/sixth form could set you up with. It advertises work experience opportunities for people aged 14-19, and has a lot of marketing related ones that look pretty good. They do a lot of virtual ones. You have to get your college to confirm that you do go there though. A lot of people don't get work experience and I think it really helps with your personal statement. Another thing you could do is sign up for a summer school and you can put this in your personal statement as well. I am just telling you this because these are things to do in year 12 and a lot of people just don't do them.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:
Obviously, I am not an expert so this is just my own opinion.

I would say it probably does not matter that much as people apply for those degrees with a range of subjects. It is a degree that doesn't require specific subjects so it would be down to whichever you think you would enjoy more. I suggest looking at the syllabus, seeing what it involves and seeing which one appeals to you more.

I would say business, in my opinion, ties in a bit more to the degree but both would be good choices tbh. Business is lighter on the maths content (the maths is pretty easy tbh) and there are topics on marketing and branding and the importance of that to a business. Just go and look at the syllabus really and maybe look at some past papers to see what the questions are like.

Also a word of advice: try and get some work experience, even if its virtual. When you get to college/sixth form and have a tutor ask about advice on that. There's a site called speakers for schools that the college/sixth form could set you up with. It advertises work experience opportunities for people aged 14-19, and has a lot of marketing related ones that look pretty good. They do a lot of virtual ones. You have to get your college to confirm that you do go there though. A lot of people don't get work experience and I think it really helps with your personal statement. Another thing you could do is sign up for a summer school and you can put this in your personal statement as well. I am just telling you this because these are things to do in year 12 and a lot of people just don't do them.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Yh tho I’m not 100% sure which one I’ll enjoy more 😭
Okay how much of the course would U say the marketing section in business alevel is?

Yh I’ve seen that website and I’ve added a list to my favourites that I’m gonna apply for today/tommorow

Thanks for all the advice :smile:

Quick Reply