The Student Room Group

Is there any chance for late applications?

I missed the closing date of 15 October for veterinary medicine in Glasgow. The ucas website had me convinced the closing date for 2021/22 was 15 October 2021 for applications that year :/ I’ve contacted university admissions but my appointment it’s two weeks away. I have all the qualifications and I don’t think they accept transfers. Is there any chance they’ll consider me this late to the game?
Some veterinary universities MAY enter clearing around the release of exam results - so you may have a chance of getting in to them then but it is rare and there are typically very few places. I would also recommend applying for 4 vet school not just one (all of which will have the same UCAS deadline) as it is very uncompetitive to purely set your sights on just one.
Reply 2
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
Some veterinary universities MAY enter clearing around the release of exam results - so you may have a chance of getting in to them then but it is rare and there are typically very few places. I would also recommend applying for 4 vet school not just one (all of which will have the same UCAS deadline) as it is very uncompetitive to purely set your sights on just one.

I've applied to 5 UK schools but glasgow is something I really want. Do you think I could possibly transfer after a year in UK?
Reply 3
I know I'll try my luck making the cut if some people don't fit the requirements. I hope the admissions staff can consider me next year if I could transfer from another vet med. course.
Reply 4
Original post by Sarahx190
I know I'll try my luck making the cut if some people don't fit the requirements. I hope the admissions staff can consider me next year if I could transfer from another vet med. course.

I don't want to be negative, but I was a vet med applicant this year (not for Scotland) and having followed conversations on the main applicant thread, I think you're dreaming. I could be wrong, but they've already got more postulants than in a normal year, so that candidates that might normally have got a place have been refused. So I wouldn't think they'll consider someone who somehow managed to get something as important as an application date limit wrong.
I've applied to 5 UK schools but glasgow is something I really want. Do you think I could possibly transfer after a year in UK?

You can only apply to 4 veterinary schools to do veterinary medicine - the 5th choice would have to be biovet/nursing or something non-vet related

There is also realistically no chance of transferring vet schools - why are you so set on Glasgow? All will make you a veterinary surgeon it does not ultimately matter where you go. They do say a vets favourite vet school is the one that let them in for a reason haha.

No probably not. The vet schools all have individual curriculums with different integrated subjects so you can’t switch and carry onto the next year for example. Nottingham did not accept transfers from other degrees into the vet course either.
I wouldn’t try and convince them you thought the application for 2021 started in October 2021 as this demonstrates a lack on insight into the application process (which as other above have mentioned is over a year)
(edited 3 years ago)
If you are wanting Glasgow because you are Scottish so won't have to pay the fees then take a year out and apply there. Have you applied to 5 non vet courses right now?
It is pretty hard to believe that you got the date criteria so wrong - every vet school has really detailed info on the entry process and all the courses would have started by that date.
I missed the closing date of 15 October for veterinary medicine in Glasgow. The ucas website had me convinced the closing date for 2021/22 was 15 October 2021 for applications that year :/ I’ve contacted university admissions but my appointment it’s two weeks away. I have all the qualifications and I don’t think they accept transfers. Is there any chance they’ll consider me this late to the game?

Extremely little and close to zero. If the only reason you missed the application deadline is because you didnt do you're research, then you wont get in for such a competitive course most people who apply dont get into first time. You wont be able to transfer unless for a serious reason (not just that you like Glasgow better) and would probably have to start from 1st year again. Try next year like all the other students have to. Clearing wouldn't be useful as some unis require to have had interview etc. and wont simple take you to fill in a spot
Reply 9
Original post by ReadingMum
If you are wanting Glasgow because you are Scottish so won't have to pay the fees then take a year out and apply there. Have you applied to 5 non vet courses right now?
It is pretty hard to believe that you got the date criteria so wrong - every vet school has really detailed info on the entry process and all the courses would have started by that date.

I'm american and we aren't told anything about the uk or Scottish education system. I've applied to 5 vet courses, one in dublin though. I just thought it was a thing of applying to as many as I wanted and choosing.
The UK universities are all handled through UCAS which only allows 4 of your 5 choices to be vet med (same restriction is true for medicine) so the 5th has to be something else or left blank. Dublin is handled in a completely separate way since it is not in the UK.
Once you apply (by mid October) you might get called for an interview (any time up to Feb/March) and may eventually get an offer (up to May ish). You choose your firm and insurance (backup) from the offers you get. If taking traditional UK qualifications then results come out in August and if you meet one of your offers then you start uni a month or two later.
I'm american and we aren't told anything about the uk or Scottish education system. I've applied to 5 vet courses, one in dublin though. I just thought it was a thing of applying to as many as I wanted and choosing.

Can I just point it out, as you said you missed the Glasgow's deadline. Are you sure you didn't miss the other deadlines? They're all almost identical even if you're not applying through UCAS. A lot of them have a deadline in September the year before you start for international students. Where did you apply? I don't think any vet school is going to consider you now as international students tend to have their interviews way before the British students, and the interviews are pretty much finished everywhere now.

Original post by ReadingMum
The UK universities are all handled through UCAS which only allows 4 of your 5 choices to be vet med (same restriction is true for medicine) so the 5th has to be something else or left blank. Dublin is handled in a completely separate way since it is not in the UK.
Once you apply (by mid October) you might get called for an interview (any time up to Feb/March) and may eventually get an offer (up to May ish). You choose your firm and insurance (backup) from the offers you get. If taking traditional UK qualifications then results come out in August and if you meet one of your offers then you start uni a month or two later.

Americans don't apply through UCAS they apply through VMCAS and they have different deadlines too. I don't think they're much different though. But I'm not sure how it works exactly. I would assume the rules are the same but they might not be.
(edited 3 years ago)

how could the closing date for 2021/2022 be in October 2021? That’s after term starts for uni. I’m afraid you’ll have to apply this year for 2022/2023 start. Just make the most of your time by improving your work experience and personal statement etc
Original post by Euapp
I don't want to be negative, but I was a vet med applicant this year (not for Scotland) and having followed conversations on the main applicant thread, I think you're dreaming. I could be wrong, but they've already got more postulants than in a normal year, so that candidates that might normally have got a place have been refused. So I wouldn't think they'll consider someone who somehow managed to get something as important as an application date limit wrong.

I was just wondering do you know why there are more applicants this year that usual? Is it because of covid?
Reply 14
Original post by Student_222
I was just wondering do you know why there are more applicants this year that usual? Is it because of covid?

From what I've heard there are a couple of reasons: Because there were no real exams last year there was grade inflation so that far more people met the requirements than in a normal year. The Unis had to honour the places, but some were deferred. And secondly, because of Covid, work experience was a lot harder to do so the requirements were reduced, enabling people, who in a normal year wouldn't be able to apply to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending