The Student Room Group

How to not give in to junk food?

My family always order a takeaway once a week and there’s always crisps or chocolate that my dad buys. I try tower healthier but I always end up eating this food. I’m trying to lose weight and eat in a calorie deficit but I haven’t seen any change. My mum has been in a deficit too and she’s lost so much weight.
I’m scared I might be insulin resistance because I was diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver disease and there’s a family history of the same condition
I hate my body I try so hard to lose weight but there’s only been a slight change
When I start my period I don’t exercise for the first four days because I’m in so much pain but I feel like that slows down my progress too
I have zero impulse control and always reach for the sugary foods first. What I do to try and avoid that is have a rule whereby I can only have 2 snacks per day and the first one must always be fruit or veg but the second one, if I feel I need it, can be whatever.

Also ask yourself, if someone gave me an apple (or other fruit you like) right now, would I want to eat it?
If the answer is no, you’re not hungry. And if the answer is yes, maybe you should have the apple rather than the Mars bar or bag of crisps.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
I have zero impulse control and always reach for the sugary foods first. What I do to try and avoid that is have a rule whereby I can only have 2 snacks per day and the first one must always be fruit or veg but the second one, if I feel I need it, can be whatever.

Also ask yourself, if someone gave me an apple (or other fruit you like) right now, would I want to eat it?
If the answer is no, you’re not hungry. And if the answer is yes, maybe you should have the apple rather than the Mars bar or bag of crisps.

That’s a good idea, I’ll be trying that out
To be honest, if i was offered an apple, I’d eat it and the same with a chocolate bar
I think I do have a problem because a normal person would probably eat a serving amount of a chocolate bar but I end up eating the whole thing even if I feel sick
If my family don’t buy it, I’m fine but in the real world, I can’t make other people accommodate what they eat for me
Can you buy (or ask your family to buy) lower calorie snacks for you? E.g. fruit, veg, 10cal jellies, low cal popcorn. That way you have healthier choices when snacking. I can easily eat a 200g bag of carrot sticks as a snack, but that’s less than 100kcal, whereas even 1 serving of chocolate is a lot more than that.

How old are you? Are you likely to move out soon? My family always have loads of crisps, chocolate, etc in the house and snack all day. When I moved to uni I lost weight almost without trying. It was so much easier once I wasn’t surrounded by people who were also snacking all day.
Just Say No!

This applies also to drugs, knives, gangs, racism and violence! :gthumb:
Reply 5
Original post by Desideri
Can you buy (or ask your family to buy) lower calorie snacks for you? E.g. fruit, veg, 10cal jellies, low cal popcorn. That way you have healthier choices when snacking. I can easily eat a 200g bag of carrot sticks as a snack, but that’s less than 100kcal, whereas even 1 serving of chocolate is a lot more than that.

How old are you? Are you likely to move out soon? My family always have loads of crisps, chocolate, etc in the house and snack all day. When I moved to uni I lost weight almost without trying. It was so much easier once I wasn’t surrounded by people who were also snacking all day.

I’m 18 and I’m thinking of moving out for uni
I’m scared because I know that most people my age eat what they want because they’re blessed with fast metabolisms and I’ll be one of those people that can’t say no
It’s really difficult

Quick Reply

Latest