The Student Room Group

Why don't people eat full apples

I don't understand why nobody eats the full apple. When I was younger, I ate an apple like my peers and family did- I left the core and the seeds. And I didn't even understand why.

From last year, I eat apples religiously and I eat the full thing, core and all, except the stem. (I even eat the stem sometimes). It pains me to see people not eating the full apple.

Recently, I discovered that apple seeds have cyanide but eating, say 8, seeds of cyanide can't harm you one bit. So do people leave the core because of society or the non-existent health risks of eating apple seeds?

Note: Yes I have major exams coming up and yes I'm procrastinating
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by strawbewies_suck
I don't understand why nobody eats the full apple. When I was younger, I ate an apple like my peers and family did- I left the core and the seeds. And I didn't even understand why.

From last year, I eat apples religiously and I eat the full thing, core and all, except the stem. (I even eat the stem sometimes). It pains me to see people not eating the full apple.

Recently, I discovered that apple seeds have cyanide but eating, say 8, seeds of cyanide can't harm you one bit. So do people leave the core because of society or the non-existent health risks of eating apple seeds?

I can't say for sure, but in my experience eating apples can be dangerous. My mum told me that one day my Dad ate a full one and through the night he disappeared. The pips turned him into an apple tree. I still go into the garden when no one is watching. I haven't spoken to him since I came home drunk and peed in his soil. I know it is what he would've wanted. It was a particularly hot day.
I wouldn't eat the whole apple mate unless you have a nice garden. It's not worth the risk.
Many people do not like the taste of apple peel, will not voluntarily eat any seeds and try to avoid ingesting anything known to contain cyanide.
Original post by wazza778
I can't say for sure, but in my experience eating apples can be dangerous. My mum told me that one day my Dad ate a full one and through the night he disappeared. The pips turned him into an apple tree. I still go into the garden when no one is watching. I haven't spoken to him since I came home drunk and peed in his soil. I know it is what he would've wanted. It was a particularly hot day.
I wouldn't eat the whole apple mate unless you have a nice garden. It's not worth the risk.

I'm really sorry about your dad. I'm glad he's a tree for you to pee on though. He likes the pee, it helps give him nutrients.

Turning into a tree has been my life goal, so thank you for sharing this tragic story.
Original post by londonmyst
Many people do not like the taste of apple peel, will not voluntarily eat any seeds and try to avoid ingesting anything known to contain cyanide.

Right, that makes sense. But the centre tastes like apple too
Lol your username explains it all.
Strawberries are the best.
Original post by Justaboutalive
Lol your username explains it all.
Strawberries are the best.

Am I being judged for my taste in fruits? So be it...
I will fight you on this, strawberries suck. They're worse than bananas. But apples...they're on a whole 'nother tier.
Am I being judged for my taste in fruits? So be it...
I will fight you on this, strawberries suck. They're worse than bananas. But apples...they're on a whole 'nother tier.

There's no fight lol, you've already lost :tongue:
Ok, we can shake hands on banana's not being great haha.

Green or red apples?
Reply 8
Ok I kind of see ur view on bananas, but strawberries? No. They're great, they should be at least as good as bananas if not better.
Also on the apples: I know some people that like to eat the whole thing. For me, I think I don't eat the core out of habit and bc I'm picky ig.
Reply 9
I eat the core if I dont have anywhere to throw it out or if Im too lazy to look for a trashcan. Its not the best texture and pokes your mouth, not the most appetizing.
Definitely would not eat the stem though... I imagine it to be like eating a twig.
There's no fight lol, you've already lost :tongue:
Ok, we can shake hands on banana's not being great haha.

Green or red apples?

Okay :frown: i admit defeat

Yes, although doctor who says otherwise, bananas are overrated.

hmm green are sour so i tend to eat red apples but idm green. how about you?

Why does it bother you how other people eat apples?
Original post by Paul Vincent
Why does it bother you how other people eat apples?

I care about the environment and not eating the middle is wastage. I don't judge people's life choices until food waste or the environment is evolved. (or hate, racism, homophobia ect...)
Original post by Foxehh
I eat the core if I dont have anywhere to throw it out or if Im too lazy to look for a trashcan. Its not the best texture and pokes your mouth, not the most appetizing.
Definitely would not eat the stem though... I imagine it to be like eating a twig.

Yes, that's another advantage, you don't have to go looking for a bin.
But yes the stem is indigestible but i have a condition called pica where i eat weird ass things.
Okay :frown: i admit defeat

Yes, although doctor who says otherwise, bananas are overrated.

hmm green are sour so i tend to eat red apples but idm green. how about you?

Hahah

They have potassium but so do oranges!

Green anyway lol, red are too sweet, but I can do a pink lady apple.
Original post by user342
Ok I kind of see ur view on bananas, but strawberries? No. They're great, they should be at least as good as bananas if not better.
Also on the apples: I know some people that like to eat the whole thing. For me, I think I don't eat the core out of habit and bc I'm picky ig.

I really try with strawberries but they taste bad every time and chocolate coated strawberries are sickening, the absolute worst.

That makes sense, ig i used to do it out of habit too
Hahah

They have potassium but so do oranges!

Green anyway lol, red are too sweet, but I can do a pink lady apple.

Oh i don't like oranges either. They taste nice, but i choke on them every. single. damn. time.

Idk what it is about pink lady apples but they're superior. What do you think of sugar/caramel coated apples?
Why do you all hate bananas :confused: They are the best!
Original post by sufys12
Why do you all hate bananas :confused: They are the best!

Bananas are mushy and they smell weird....why do you like them? i'm genuinely curious.
Bananas are mushy and they smell weird....why do you like them? i'm genuinely curious.

They're only mushy if you eat them too long after they are ripe. They smell quite nice.

Quick Reply

Latest