The Student Room Group

Brexit is going so well

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yeetouttawindow
is that it now sit here and hope everyone else becomes worse off than us

A time-honored British tradition that has served us well...:colone:

Hopes got nothing to do with it. If the EU was so great we wouldn't have left in the first place.
Original post by Starship Trooper
A time-honored British tradition that has served us well...:colone:

Hopes got nothing to do with it. If the EU was so great we wouldn't have left in the first place.

We wouldn’t have left had a bunch of self interested politicians and xenophobes not preyed on the working classes and somehow convinced them that they are somehow better off out of the EU, despite there being overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Original post by imlikeahermit
We wouldn’t have left had a bunch of self interested politicians and xenophobes not preyed on the working classes and somehow convinced them that they are somehow better off out of the EU, despite there being overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

This just comes across as sour grapes. Very reminiscent of what all the labour voters were saying after the 2019 general election. All Tories are stupid and brainwashed by the daily mail etc. The fact you agree with QE2 on this issue should be a big red flag.

Additionally, assuming your point was true ... Well that's Democracy for you. Unless the remainers launch a coup and make Gina Millar dictator on a pledge to join the EU (which itself would break EU law) then youre basically having a hissy fit.
This just comes across as sour grapes. Very reminiscent of what all the labour voters were saying after the 2019 general election. All Tories are stupid and brainwashed by the daily mail etc. The fact you agree with QE2 on this issue should be a big red flag.

Additionally, assuming your point was true ... Well that's Democracy for you. Unless the remainers launch a coup and make Gina Millar dictator on a pledge to join the EU (which itself would break EU law) then youre basically having a hissy fit.

It’s not sour grapes at all, it’s the truth. It’s as simple as that. We are much worse off out of the EU, and it will costs millions of people their jobs, and that’s the governments own conservative estimate! No amount of bloatlording from you or other leavers on here will change that. Guess we’re sick of experts though, right?
It’s not sour grapes at all, it’s the truth. It’s as simple as that. We are much worse off out of the EU, and it will costs millions of people their jobs, and that’s the governments own conservative estimate! No amount of bloatlording from you or other leavers on here will change that. Guess we’re sick of experts though, right?

Agreed. Not only that but Jeremy Corbyn should have won in 2019 but the stupid racist British public didn't know what was good for them and chose to vote for a white supremacist to be PM! Maybe if we carry on telling them how stupid and evil they are (and how clever and virtuous we are) they will finally get the message!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HOVr_ClyiZE

:tongue:
Agreed. Not only that but Jeremy Corbyn should have won in 2019 but the stupid racist British public didn't know what was good for them and chose to vote for a white supremacist to be PM! Maybe if we carry on telling them how stupid and evil they are (and how clever and virtuous we are) they will finally get the message!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HOVr_ClyiZE

:tongue:

When they lose their jobs, like the fishermen are at the moment, they’ll realise how stupid they were themselves.
When they lose their jobs, like the fishermen are at the moment, they’ll realise how stupid they were themselves.

The Treasury actually forecast an increase in unemployment of around 820,000 as a result of Brexit out to 2030. That on aggregate is not even enough to stall employment growth (average of just under 80,000 jobs per year lost from the forecast baseline in 2018 Vs employment growth of about 400,000 per year pre-covid.

There may be sectoral issues but even the hawkish forecasts of Brexit don't really generate the unemployment wasteland you dream of unless it's massively front loaded.

The economy will still grow and employment will still rise, just a little slower than it would have done previously for a while.
Original post by Rakas21
The Treasury actually forecast an increase in unemployment of around 820,000 as a result of Brexit out to 2030. That on aggregate is not even enough to stall employment growth (average of just under 80,000 jobs per year lost from the forecast baseline in 2018 Vs employment growth of about 400,000 per year pre-covid.

There may be sectoral issues but even the hawkish forecasts of Brexit don't really generate the unemployment wasteland you dream of unless it's massively front loaded.

The economy will still grow and employment will still rise, just a little slower than it would have done previously for a while.

The governments own report into the financial impact of Brexit on a deal scenario predicted at least 1.25m job losses. While that may recover slightly to 820,000 that is still 820,000 people out of jobs that could potentially not be.

This is what I don’t understand. You throw around figures like it’s nothing. That’s 820,000 less in jobs as a direct result of a vanity project that was absolutely not necessary. Add to that, we’ve had a pandemic while leaving the EU, the job losses on top of that will make more impact.

There are literally companies crying out due to the effects of Brexit, people losing their businesses and livelihoods, due to Brexit, and all you leave voters can say is ‘don’t worry, it’ll get better eventually.’ It’s not good enough. You have literally killed small businesses.

It never ceases to amaze me the ability of Brexiteers to just deny the truth.
Reply 88

It's like someone who has spent good money on a proper lemon. While their mates are taking the piss, they are insisting that the seats are quite comfortable, the spare wheel is in good condition for its age, and "It'll be a classic one day!"
(edited 3 years ago)
The governments own report into the financial impact of Brexit on a deal scenario predicted at least 1.25m job losses. While that may recover slightly to 820,000 that is still 820,000 people out of jobs that could potentially not be.

This is what I don’t understand. You throw around figures like it’s nothing. That’s 820,000 less in jobs as a direct result of a vanity project that was absolutely not necessary. Add to that, we’ve had a pandemic while leaving the EU, the job losses on top of that will make more impact.

There are literally companies crying out due to the effects of Brexit, people losing their businesses and livelihoods, due to Brexit, and all you leave voters can say is ‘don’t worry, it’ll get better eventually.’ It’s not good enough. You have literally killed small businesses.

of course they deny it would humiliating for them to admit the so called remoaners were right all along
all they got left is we won you lost nah nah nah
(edited 3 years ago)
Why were the remoaners correct again?

Your operating under the flawed assumption that I priced in no economic instability.
Original post by Rakas21
Why were the remoaners correct again?

Your operating under the flawed assumption that I priced in no economic instability.

You did factor that in, and it’s the one reason that you’re the only leaver on here I can see sense in, because you knew exactly what you were voting for. You were prepared to take that economic bullet. Thousands if not millions that voted however did not know that bullet even existed.
(edited 3 years ago)
You did factor that in, and it’s the one reason that you’re the only leaver on here I can see sense in, because you knew exactly what you were voting for. You were prepared to take that economic bullet. Thousands if not millions that voted however did not know that bullet even existed.

I have genuinely never met a leaver who has changed their mind on brexit but I have met a couple or remain voters who have.

Remain won the economic argument and people voting brexit understood that (albeit they correctly rejected the OTT narrative that the economy will collapse overnight if we leave,) . But it was never about economics.
(edited 3 years ago)
I have genuinely never met a leaver who has changed their mind on brexit but I have met a couple or remain voters who have.

Remain won the economic argument and people voting brexit understood that (albeit they correctly rejected the OTT narrative that the economy will collapse overnight if we leave,) . But it was never about economics.

The fishing industry, which is in tatters because they were conned into voting leave, they regret it most certainly.

On the contrary, I have never met someone who voted remain now back leave. What I have seen, is indifference, which is absolutely not the same thing as support.

The fishing industry, which is in tatters because they were conned into voting leave, they regret it most certainly.

On the contrary, I have never met someone who voted remain now back leave. What I have seen, is indifference, which is absolutely not the same thing as support.

Not convinced. What's to say that guy didn't vote remain? A pro leave group could do the same where they bring on a leaver who pretends to have voted remain but has had a 'change of heart' people do this crap all the time.

But have you honestly met in real life a Brexiteer who now wishes they voted remain?
Not convinced. What's to say that guy didn't vote remain? A pro leave group could do the same where they bring on a leaver who pretends to have voted remain but has had a 'change of heart' people do this crap all the time.

But have you honestly met in real life a Brexiteer who now wishes they voted remain?

There are far too many Regrexiters out there now for it to be a sly campaign by Rewailers.
Reply 96

Lived experience, eh? That tells us more about your tribal circle than the world outside it.

POLL: A majority of British people regret voting for Brexit (2018)
Polls show Brexit regret is so strong that 'Remain' would win a second referendum by 9 points (2019)
Support for Brexit is collapsing as poll finds shrinking minority of British people still back leaving the EU (2020)

That must be why labour and the lib Dems got such a big majority at the last election :rolleyes:
Raw numbers still have rejoin/stay out in the low 40's, you only get a majority when you remove dk which is stupid and why remoaners cried in 2016 while I cashed out from the bookies.

To put it another way, in raw polling there is more support for Scotland leaving than the UK rejoining the EU.

Yes- I have met several.
Hardcore ERG supporting eurosceptic brexiteers who are vehemently opposed to the eu settlement scheme, echr and withdrawal agreement.
I understand why they feel as they do and do share much of their disgust but I don't regret voting leave in 2016.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending