The Student Room Group

How do you motivate yourself?

Time wasting and procrastinating. Not struggled with this really in my A-Levels thus far but I’m reaching a pivotal part and I’m procrastinating. So any tips
Original post by RamseyGOAT
Time wasting and procrastinating. Not struggled with this really in my A-Levels thus far but I’m reaching a pivotal part and I’m procrastinating. So any tips

You need to force yourself. Set yourself a set time everyday for productivity. I also recommend the pomodoro technique.
(edited 3 years ago)

Remind yourself of your goals, why your doing this and how completing this will effect your future. Then keep trying, you will get through, I believe in you😊
Reply 3
Original post by Idkimrhiannon
Remind yourself of your goals, why your doing this and how completing this will effect your future. Then keep trying, you will get through, I believe in you😊

Thank you, this actually really helped. Hopefully I can come back to this post in two months time and think I’ve done myself proud
Thank you, this actually really helped. Hopefully I can come back to this post in two months time and think I’ve done myself proud

Your welcome, I'm sure you will😊
Sometimes I think to myself, i'm gonna die in the next 5 minutes if I don't do this lol
It works...
I find what really motivates me is the feeling of proving all of the doubtful teachers/classmates wrong:biggrin:
Imagine their faces when you get that top grade when they never thought you could do it
motivation is bs u need commitment and discipline instead

Yeah - I really procrastinate for loads of my exams and then suddenly at about 9 the night before I get terrified and stay up all night (its not great :smile:).

I find that thinking of how doing well in these exams will contribute to my goals. Also, me and my friends challenge each other to see who’ll do better in tests and that seems to work. Best of luck!
You need an aim and to go for that aim.

You have already told us you want to go to Oxford, and you can't do that without a lot of hard work.
Reply 10

If there's something in particular that's always distracting you (e.g. a phone) then stop yourself from using it before you want to use it: you could get someone to take it from you for a prespecified period or (as I always recommend) get the Forest app!

I struggled to work when Tiktok was always within my reach, but since downloading Forest I've got so so much more done
Reply 11
Original post by daan.m
If there's something in particular that's always distracting you (e.g. a phone) then stop yourself from using it before you want to use it: you could get someone to take it from you for a prespecified period or (as I always recommend) get the Forest app!

I struggled to work when Tiktok was always within my reach, but since downloading Forest I've got so so much more done

This technique (and many others) is really well described in Atomic Habits, but I've forgotten the name Clear calls it. If you're having trouble breaking procrastination habits then I'd 100% give it a read
(edited 3 years ago)
Think of the final goal, have a clear plan to reach it and reward yourself frequently

Hey @RamseyGOAT

I've tried to keep to the same routine that I've had pre-pandemic. Here's some tips for staying productive at home:

1- Plan a week in advance in your diary so you know what deadlines you've got coming up. I usually make small lists for each day too.
2- I try to get up earlier on my days off rather than later. I find going for a walk in the mornings helps as I’d usually walk the last 15 minutes of my commute to uni.
3- I do my uni work in my office so that other areas such as the living room and kitchen are non uni work spaces.
4- Reward yourself- after I finish my uni work, I take some time out at the end of the day to cook and watch some tv.
I try and leave my weekends 'study free' by getting most of my uni work finished during the week so that I'm spending less time on it at the weekend.
5- Make plans- I try and make plans for the weekend, like going out for walks in the surrounding areas and grabbing a takeaway coffee on the way. This means I have something to look forward to!

Hope this helps :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador

Be disciplined

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending