The Student Room Group

Nottingham A101 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by auburnstar
Excellent. And to be fair, they are mostly derived from Khan Academy (thank u Sal for single handedly getting through re-learning the basic sciences from scratch for free!).

@ecolier That sounds like it was a fun journey! Thats cool that you were able to be close regionally to family ☺️

@Ahsix I did a BA Hons in Music at Durham, graduated last year. I enjoyed the degree but realised I definitely didn't want to do it as a career, and I really enjoyed part time HCA'ing. I'm currently 22 so am very much on the young side for GEM! I live in the North East atm and work in public health. :smile:

Don’t know why but someone I know who’s been to Nottingham previously informed me that his cohort was majority younger people- I’m only 20 turning 21 😭 assuming I’m one of the younger ones then haha finishing off my final year of biomedical sciences this year can’t wait to start
Is there anything about living/working in Derby/Notts that we should know before we arrive?

Well just be aware that coming from Nottingham / east Derby you will hit traffic before the Pentagon Island, so that will affect those living there and driving in or taking the Hospital Hopper.

There are plenty of nice places in Derby too. It's a smaller city than Nottingham that's for sure, but that has its appeal. It's also closer to the Peak District.

Any insider tips ? 😂

Nothing comes to mind now! But I can't praise RDH enough - car parking, the way it's run etc.

The old Derbyshire Royal Infirmary (now London Road Community Hospital), on the other hand... :puke:

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)
I love that u have such strong hospital opinions haha. Working as an agency HCA I never felt like I stayed in one place long enough to really get to know the hospital, but I did really enjoy Darlington Memorial Hospital A&E, and UHND Stroke Ward (the reg was the absolute best and treated everybody as an equal member of the team). Thankfully no hospital stands out in my memory as being an ahem, shall we say challenging environment to work in 😂
(edited 3 years ago)
I love that u have such strong hospital opinions haha.

Oh once you worked somewhere you'd know exactly which ones are **** and which ones are not so ****.

It's the culture of a workplace, and that's not easily changed.

Working as an agency HCA I never felt like I stayed in one place long enough to really get to know the hospital, but I did really enjoy Darlington Memorial Hospital A&E, and UHND Stroke Ward (the reg was the absolute best and treated everybody as an equal member of the team). Thankfully no hospital stands out in my memory as being an ahem, shall we say challenging environment to work in 😂

Haha that's good to know. You'd need resilience to survive in a not-so-good place, and I think applying to medicine prepares you for that! :lol:

IMG_20210403_163011176.jpg
Rest In Peace, GAMSAT Notes. May you be made into trees, or something useful. ✌️
IMG_20210403_163011176.jpg
Rest In Peace, GAMSAT Notes. May you be made into trees, or something useful. ✌️

🤣😅. I bet that felt good. I'm in the middle of doing a clear out now and it's so refreshing. I saw your based the North East, I'm from Durham myself!
Original post by T-Nicholson
🤣😅. I bet that felt good. I'm in the middle of doing a clear out now and it's so refreshing. I saw your based the North East, I'm from Durham myself!

It was very cathartic haha! That's cool :redface: I've lived here since 2017 :smile: I've never lived in the Midlands before so that will be a fun change xD
It was very cathartic haha! That's cool :redface: I've lived here since 2017 :smile: I've never lived in the Midlands before so that will be a fun change xD

Yeah I agree. I've visited Nottingham once and it was amazing. It'll be nice to see what it has to offer!
Reply 48
So excited to be given a place at Nottingham for GEM! Can anybody give me more advice on where to live?
I was hoping to buy a small apartment as I have been lucky enough to save up some money over my two gap years, and really don't want to rent again given that I could possibly be living in the Nottingham area for 6 years.
Could anybody advise against this? Would it be easier to rent when on placement given that we'll be moving about? Otherwise, what area would be best to buy in?

Thank you!
Original post by Mbpe97
So excited to be given a place at Nottingham for GEM! Can anybody give me more advice on where to live?
I was hoping to buy a small apartment as I have been lucky enough to save up some money over my two gap years, and really don't want to rent again given that I could possibly be living in the Nottingham area for 6 years.
Could anybody advise against this? Would it be easier to rent when on placement given that we'll be moving about? Otherwise, what area would be best to buy in?

Thank you!

Throughout medical school and the first few years of being a doctor you'll be moving about a fair bit, having said all that. It would depend on your budget, West Bridgford is a lovely area in Nottingham as is Beeston. I'm not to familiar with the rest of Nottingham but there are nice areas. Congratulations on being able to save for a house/apartment, wish I could save money haha
Reply 50
Original post by tinglybananaman
Throughout medical school and the first few years of being a doctor you'll be moving about a fair bit, having said all that. It would depend on your budget, West Bridgford is a lovely area in Nottingham as is Beeston. I'm not to familiar with the rest of Nottingham but there are nice areas. Congratulations on being able to save for a house/apartment, wish I could save money haha

Thank you, great advice! I’ll look in to these. I think it would be good to have a base nonetheless.
Original post by Mbpe97

Thank you!

Renting sucks but I would advise against buying because there's no guarantee you will be allocated to a Foundation School in the same area, houses/apts are difficult to sell generally speaking (and balancing further training & being a landlord would be a nightmare) and mortgages tend to ask for a long term commitment. Now it does depend on your circumstances - if you've saved a huge amount of money and/or are otherwise wealthy it makes sense to buy.

Typically people buy in specialty training and beyond because of the increased income and stability. Mortgage lenders also take income into account, which would work against you whilst still in uni (unless you're married to someone w strong capital/credit history & earning well and buying the house/apt together). The main factor is whether you're buying outright or require a mortgage. Bearing in mind even with good savings for down payment, there are still outgoings like mortgage, utilities, tax, etc which may be more or less than the rent in the local area depending on various factors and general rental affordability. That's not to say you can't do it though, but you'd probably have to ask a financial/mortgage advisor tbh. Obviously we aren't financial advisors so can't really comment with any authority.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 52
Renting sucks but I would advise against buying because there's no guarantee you will be allocated to a Foundation School in the same area, houses/apts are difficult to sell generally speaking (and balancing further training & being a landlord would be a nightmare) and mortgages tend to ask for a long term commitment. Now it does depend on your circumstances - if you've saved a huge amount of money and/or are otherwise wealthy it makes sense to buy.

Typically people buy in specialty training and beyond because of the increased income and stability. Mortgage lenders also take income into account, which would work against you whilst still in uni (unless you're married to someone w strong capital/credit history & earning well and buying the house/apt together). The main factor is whether you're buying outright or require a mortgage. Bearing in mind even with good savings for down payment, there are still outgoings like mortgage, utilities, tax, etc which may be more or less than the rent in the local area depending on various factors and general rental affordability. That's not to say you can't do it though, but you'd probably have to ask a financial/mortgage advisor tbh. Obviously we aren't financial advisors so can't really comment with any authority.

Thank you for this advice! I definitely will go through a financial advisor. My main concern is whether I would need to move anyway and then rent on top of a mortgage. Or whether I could just travel to placements.
Original post by Mbpe97
Thank you for this advice! I definitely will go through a financial advisor. My main concern is whether I would need to move anyway and then rent on top of a mortgage. Or whether I could just travel to placements.

There's a couple of placements further afield which I imagine they'll have us stay in free/discounted hospital accommodation. For the others, they're all within 1.5hrs so doable commute wise. I'd doubt you'd need to actually move house for placements haha (could you imagine the logistical faff of 100 students moving house midway through the year haha). It also depends if a mortgage company would take somebody on for what may be potentially only 4 years, and who's still in university - it could be seen as "risky". But yeah a financial advisor would be best placed to say. Exciting stuff though! Starting a new chapter n that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 54
There's a couple of placements further afield which I imagine they'll have us stay in free/discounted hospital accommodation. For the others, they're all within 1.5hrs so doable commute wise. I'd doubt you'd need to actually move house for placements haha (could you imagine the logistical faff of 100 students moving house midway through the year haha). It also depends if a mortgage company would take somebody on for what may be potentially only 4 years, and who's still in university - it could be seen as "risky". But yeah a financial advisor would be best placed to say. Exciting stuff though! Starting a new chapter n that.

Ahhh I did not know hospital accom was free/discounted, that’s good news!
Yeah there’s hoops to jump through, but with family guarantor support it’s possible, student mortgages are a thing I’ve discovered and a lot cheaper in the long run so fingers crossed!
There's a couple of placements further afield which I imagine they'll have us stay in free/discounted hospital accommodation...

Original post by Mbpe97
Ahhh I did not know hospital accom was free/discounted, that’s good news!...

Auburnstar is right.

Nottingham students are sent to Grantham, Boston and Lincoln (well this was before Lincoln has its own med school, so could have changed) + a few other places.

During those few weeks that you are there, you would be eligible to have free accommodation at the (new at the time! Probably built in the early 2000s) on-site doctors' accommodation. The ones in Boston are huge, and many room have en-suite too.

Note: they would immediately kick you out when the 8 week (or so) placement ends, so don't bank on living there for the whole term etc.

Use this as a guide: https://www.progressliving.org.uk/our-accommodation/shared-apartment-boston/

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ahsix
Quite nervous about meeting people & friends as I feel like I’d be one of the older members of the course what sort of backgrounds has everyone come from in terms of uni?

Heyy I definitely have this same worry! I'm about to turn 30, so scary to be doing a second degree at this age! My first was biomed at uni of hull. I'm from Birmingham but thinking of moving to derby/Notts for first year, want to make friends and avoid a big commute!
Definitely looking forward to an offer holder day so that we can make friends and hopefully find fellow grads to find a place etc.

What's your background?
Are there many oncology training positions in the region?
Original post by smadni1996
Are there many oncology training positions in the region?

Not a lot - according to ST3 Recruitment there was only 0-1 training posts for 2021 entry.

https://www.st3recruitment.org.uk/specialties/medical-oncology

Hi guys,

Congrats to everyone on your offers 🎉🎉🎉 I’m so glad we have a forum! I’ve been trying to get organised and plan out what I need to do now that I’ve accepted my offer, but there’s some stuff I haven’t been able to find online, and unfortunately I haven’t been able to get through to the uni (probably because of Easter break), so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help?

1. Does anyone know what our term dates are? I’ve been able to find general undergrad dates, but I’m assuming our course might be a little different, and I’m uncertain of whether I will need to apply for a 42 or 52 week contract for accommodation.

2. I’ve seen that our offers are subject to a DBS clearance and an occupational health check. Do we know if the uni will be contacting us about this, or is this something we need to organise independently? I’m already subscribed to the enhanced DBS update service but I wasn’t sure if this is something that I need to reapply for.

3. I’ve seen that some of you have been invited to the virtual offer holders day, but unfortunately I’ve not received an invite yet. Can I ask when abouts your received the email? I’ve emailed the events team about this but I haven’t heard back and I’m concerned about the event filling up before I have a chance to register 😂

Sorry for all of the questions! I would be grateful for any advice that you can give me, and I will make sure to watch the thread and return the favour wherever I can ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending