The Student Room Group

How many GCSEs equal one A-Level in terms of workload?

I know that A-Levels are significantly harder than GCSEs but in terms of the amount of content, how many GCSEs would make up an A-Level?

If it’s relevant, I’m currently in year 11 and am taking 13 GCSEs; in September I will be doing A-Level RS, History, English Lit and Economics.
About 3-4 GCSEs I would say, complete guess, since there is no formal equivalent
GCSE's don't require no extra reading, not reaaally -- however A-Levels do (specifically social sciences / Law / Business, which I speak from experience)
I'd say about 3, max 4. If your doing 13 GCSEs and can handle that workload well, you should be fine.

If you are also doing 4 AS Levels, which drops to 3 A2s then I'm sure that you will be fine.
With AS + A2, you see that there is a lot of content, but it is mostly how much depth there is in the topics, and how to answer exam questions properly.

I did 8 GCSEs and 3 BTECs, and I do 4 AS Levels now (Bio, Chem, Maths and Politics) and I find it a bit daunting but I think that's more to do with COVID than my subjects.

Also, with your AL choices, it is mostly social sceinces, so background reading and being interested in content is more important, as well as a good memory for recall.
Do not do 4 A levels.

Its totally pointless. No Uni requires more than three, and you don't get 'ooooo clever' brownie points for attempting more than that. A*A*A* will always look better than ABBB. Doing three allows you to do those subjects in depth, to do all the extra reading and research and actually enjoy those subjects, rather than feeling frustrated because you are not actually doing any of them properly.
Reply 5
Original post by dramacoolfan
About 3-4 GCSEs I would say, complete guess, since there is no formal equivalent

Original post by V℮rsions
GCSE's don't require no extra reading, not reaaally -- however A-Levels do (specifically social sciences / Law / Business, which I speak from experience)

Original post by Haroony212
I'd say about 3, max 4. If your doing 13 GCSEs and can handle that workload well, you should be fine.

If you are also doing 4 AS Levels, which drops to 3 A2s then I'm sure that you will be fine.
With AS + A2, you see that there is a lot of content, but it is mostly how much depth there is in the topics, and how to answer exam questions properly.

I did 8 GCSEs and 3 BTECs, and I do 4 AS Levels now (Bio, Chem, Maths and Politics) and I find it a bit daunting but I think that's more to do with COVID than my subjects.

Also, with your AL choices, it is mostly social sceinces, so background reading and being interested in content is more important, as well as a good memory for recall.

Thanks everyone :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Do not do 4 A levels.

Its totally pointless. No Uni requires more than three, and you don't get 'ooooo clever' brownie points for attempting more than that. A*A*A* will always look better than ABBB. Doing three allows you to do those subjects in depth, to do all the extra reading and research and actually enjoy those subjects, rather than feeling frustrated because you are not actually doing any of them properly.

At the school I'm going to for sixth form everyone has to do 4 subjects in year 12, do one for AS and then drop down to 3 for year 13. Thank you for the advice anyway
Reply 7
It's kinda hard to compare GCSEs with A-Levels. I found GCSEs quite straight forward with their info and questions on exams so it just relied on memorising. At A-Level there's a lot more reading as another user has said and it's a lot more independent, compared to at GCSE where teachers helped you with a lot.

I do history and it's quite similar to GCSE but a lot more info, dates etc bu there is a difference in the essays and how they're written.

Quick Reply

Latest