The Student Room Group

do i have adhd/add?

I know self-diagnosing is harmful to communities and also offensive which is why I haven't self diagnosed myself, but I have many, if not all the symptoms of ADHD.

I also know that asking random people shouldn't be where I look for my answer. And I will be getting advice of people telling me to ask a professional, but that isn't possible atm.

I always forget things, fidget, can't sit for over an hour (or even under). I always always get distracted in a conversation and that includes online ones too. I end up taking ages to respond even though I'm in a quiet room on my own. I can never focus on tasks and when i really try hard to listen to song lyrics, I just can't (but all my friends can). When somebody talks to me, I always have to scrunch my face up in concentration and push my hair away from my ears. I have eczema and I itch 24/7 (not sure if that factors in).

There's more but I can't think of it right now.

But there are some things that counter all this, for example, when I draw, i can focus really well but only in little bursts of energy, I still need to get up and wander around.

I'm an 18 year old girl. Does anyone think these symptoms mean anything? Or are they normal?
We are all somewhere on that spectrum of mental issues. Some higher on it, some lower, but most of us somewhere in the middle.
If you really are concerned you should seek some professional help. Even if you self diagnose, although you or us here haven’t got that knowledge, what would you advise yourself? That’s why you need a professional.

Better seek for it now than later, good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
We are all somewhere on that spectrum of mental issues. Some higher on it, some lower, but most of us somewhere in the middle.
If you really are concerned you should seek some professional help. Even if you self diagnose, although you or us here haven’t got that knowledge, what would you advise yourself? That’s why you need a professional.

Better seek for it now than later, good luck!

I was expecting a response like this. Wish i could get help now but i think i'll have to wait a few months. And I wouldn't know how to advise myself so I understand you.

Thank you for your advice
I was expecting a response like this. Wish i could get help now but i think i'll have to wait a few months. And I wouldn't know how to advise myself so I understand you.

The biggest thing is - how is ADHD negatively impacting your life? Aside from the fidgeting etc, ADHD is often only considered as such or diagnosed as such when people find that they are unable to hold a steady job, or when their mental health is severely declining (to name but only two symptoms).

If you really do think you have it, it's negatively impacting your daily life, and that you need help, I would strongly encourage you to consult your GP ASAP. It can take a long time to even be checked for ADHD, so the sooner you go the better. Please, please heed this advice. Regardless of whether you have or don't have ADHD, you have to take the first step today.
(edited 3 years ago)
probably not
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
The biggest thing is - how is ADHD negatively impacting your life? Aside from the fidgeting etc, ADHD is often only considered as such or diagnosed as such when people find that they are unable to hold a steady job, or when their mental health is severely declining (to name but only two symptoms).

If you really do think you have it, it's negatively impacting your daily life, and that you need help, I would strongly encourage you to consult your GP ASAP. It can take a long time to even be checked for ADHD, so the sooner you go the better. Please, please heed this advice. Regardless of whether you have or don't have ADHD, you have to take the first step today.

Yes, it does affect my schoolwork and how I converse with people, and also my home life.

I know there's a really long waiting list but I can only access help next year when i'm in university. I don't know how i would tell my family about this and i'm too scared to get checked alone.

Reply 6
probably not

Could you tell me why you think so?

Quick Reply

Latest